Sign in to follow this  
Guest hoohah

The BIG question...

Guest hoohah

Hello All,The recent discussion(s) about copyrighted resources for FU as well as it's age/problems got me wondering about whether we (meaning the FU community) could possibly lobby EA to release the source code/resource base for FU3/2 under special license (where no one could make any money from it I presume).I am a professional software developer and I know how tight a grip companies can have on assets (no matter how outdated and unprofitable). But it seems as though we could turn FU into a sort of "Open Source" product where we would be able to update the graphics engine, fix some bug/features, etc. And then drive (fly) FU into the future...What would be the interest in this group? Or has it been tried already? I look forward to your comments.-hoo

We all like make changes in FU 3 & everyone is interested in it.B.Adamski

I have been told that there are currently legal issues preventing the release of FU3 on a budget label. This indicates that EA would LIKE to re-release it, and therefore are unlikely to let go of the source code anytime soon. However, I would like to know what exactly the problems are regarding this issue.In short, if anyone from either Electronic Arts or Looking Glass Studios is reading this, then SORT YOUR DIFFERENCES OUT !!!! The sooner that FU3 is re-released on a budget label, the happier we will all be. After all, I've only got two copies, so I could do with a few more :-lolBest Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Motormouse

Chris, I would GUESS that the 'legal issue' concerns MONEY,either owing to LGS or its creditors when EA closed shop,its probably the only thing likely to stop any 'budget' release,EA wouldn't want to publish it then not get any income from it now, would they?:-wavePete

Guest jonpoint

Hi All,My two cents worth ('fore the government gets it!), I believe that it would be wonderful for EA to allow release of source code for developers. Face it, noboby here is going to totally recompile the product and re-release it (and if they did they would be sitting - copyright - targets). Any 'outside' development only increases demand for the game. Look at M$FS and M$ Motocross madness for example. I'm sure there are no shortage of people using the inbuilt editors in M$FS or the freely-downloadable Armadillo editor for M$ MotoMadness2. I got here (Avsim) through playing with (the unfinished-as-shipped) FLED. If it wasn't for that, I'd still be an M$FS man. The problem with M$FS then was that all the available development tools were expensive and crappy. FU2/3 were never designed as heavy 'front-end' programs - they were intended to be freely developed way beyond their 'as-shipped' configuration. I believe that this was a developer's 'creed' at LG - they knew that no small s'ware developer could ever get payback for all the possible details one could want. I think EA found this out the hard way 'coz they thought FU3 would just knock M$FS off. Unfortunately, the tools required to do this were never finished 'coz EA just wanted to sell boxes for profit.Now we have some great tools and some serious talent with a passion for the sim. Surely we can make a great case for this. Just think - "gee Mr EA, we've got gigabytes of free support software - lots of existing users and some really talented developers already online. Whaddaya need? Scenery development? We got it. Aircraft, challenges, weather (still the best)? We got that too!"Face it - nobody (except the shop) makes anything out of budget software by itself. :-)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Lizardo

In my humble opinion..to get a company's attention you don't go in the front door, where the default is "ignore", but in the side doors. Of course I can't suggest a mailing campaign, or putting them on every junk mailing list you can find, nor can I espouse using a "toll free long distance all weekend free" phone..to "every dept you can think of".(hint). However, you might drop a friendly note to: "________"C/O EA Headquarters209 Redwood Shores ParkwayRedwood City, CA 94065650-628-1500