Sign in to follow this  
Guest Motormouse

Flight Unlimited 1

Guest Pieter

Yes, still the first with an excellent fight model at the time. Thanks for this link! I've been looking for ages for the Windows version as my DOS version could never again run on the GeForce cards no matter what I tried. I guess it would not harm Looking Glass in any way to use this pirated version? ;-)Pieter

Guest Quaxo

Pieter, I have the DOS FU1, and it runs perfectly on my system (Athlon XP cpu, GeForce2 video card), even though I had to "patch" it a bit... Did you try to install the original patch for it?Cristian

Guest Pieter

>Did you try to install the original patch for it?Yes. I even asked, quite a while ago, in this exact forum for help and we could not get it going. I think Windows-XP (using my hardware probably, PII Celeron 1gig, Asus GeForce MX2 32mB) is not that friendly to DOS games that old anymore. It goes up to FBO and I can select the plane, etc. but as soon as the scenery and plane is loaded I end up staring at a black screen at the DOS prompt... And FU is not alone, about none of my older DOS games (like USNF, PAW 1942, etc.) work - they all do more or less the same. I think Win-XP is the culprit here as one can't really have a "true" DOS session with it. Booting with a Win98 "DOS" disk just will not detect the large, NT formatted, harddisk. The FU1 Win 95 works perfectly and I'm not conscience stricken here as I really bought all FU/LG products up to date...Pieter

There's an article in PC Pilot vol 16, on XP and older games. It's safe to assume that XP is your problem. Still, the article describes some compatibility modes that you may try. You may set the game to run in the various Windows version modes, avoiding high DPI settings etc. However, classic, unadulterated DOS is very likely to fail.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Quaxo

Hi Pieter,Have you considered adding a FAT partition? I added a small 1 Gb FAT partition to my HD, so I can see it from pure dos. (you can do it painless with Partition Magic or something like that.Then you could install FU1 in that partition, and run it using the DOS boot disk.Or even better, you could do a multi-boot system... Once I had 4 systems to choose from: DOS, Win98, Linux, WinXP. Now I have only Win98 and Linux... and the DOS boot disk :) !!!Cristian

Guest Motormouse

Don't say that word!!Elsewhere on the same site is an editorial which explains that the games are only put up for download if they are no longer being published,kind of like going to your local second-hand book stall I suppose.:-wavePete

Guest Motormouse

And if I remember rightly,there were some interesting'easter eggs' hidden in that game too!Like has been said many times before,it was a dark day when Looking Glass closed down.:-wavePete

Hmm not even the Win95 version will work for me. As soon as I choose to take off, the game just quits to the desktop. Tried running it in Windows 95 compatible mode also but it did the same thing.AthlonXP 1900+, Geforce3 Ti500, 512MB RAM, Windows XP, DX 8.1.I think my computer is too fast for this game :-lol

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Navigator

FU1 has been successfully installed on my computer from Classic Trash. I can fly all the planes in all the places. I followed the procedure exactly as described by "Stormbind" in Classic TrashForumError ReportingFlight Unlimited (again) which includes copying the contents of the CD-ROM directory to the root of this sim.Without this and WinAce it was impossible.I am glad I have now this first sim in the FU-series; I did not think I would ever have the chance to try it.Win 98, Pentium III 1 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, ASUS Geforce GTS V7700Regards Roland, Sweden

Some old games I have won't even run on Windows 98, only Windows 95. So, I don't doubt that you may be having problems on XP. I keep a 95 machine around just for my favorite old games.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums Moderator[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#540000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table

Guest Motormouse

Betcha can't fly it straight and level for very long!!Strap on that Pitts Special and do a few flick rolls, that's what 'fluid dynamics' in a sim does!!Or for something really different, get in the glider behind the 'invisible' tow-plane he he:-wavePete

Heh, I'm also from Sweden. J

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Pieter

Yupp, I've downloaded the Win95 version to which Pete (Motormouse) pointed us. It works perfectly on my Windows-XP system and GeForce card as it is. No need now for me to go over board trying to convince a stubborn system to accept DOS stuff it it does not want to do it.... I'm happy see: :-outtaThanks Pete!Regards,Pieter