Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quaxo

UK question - What do you prefer?

Hi, While doing other new tiles, I realized that a big part of scenery East of London is missing. I mean, the images aren't available at all, so I can't do that part.The photos just "end" abruptly, see screenshot. I may leave it as in the screenshot (the water begins exactly where the land ends) or I can try to add a strip of beach. But I can't guarantee the results in this case, as I'm not good at hand-painting (or editing).What do you want me to do?Cristian

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I personally don't think painting a beach would be worth the effort. I mean even if it looks kind of realistic, there's not meant to be a beach there, it's not there in real life.Here's what I'd recommend (I don't know if it's possible):In the SFO and Sanfran region, if you don't have the outer terraion region, the last couple of miles of scenery are repeated over and over again. It looks OK when you're flying near the edge of the scenery area. You could try to achieve that same effect with the UK scenery, if you know how to do it.Another option could be to make some kind of generic, low resolution farmland texture, and repeat it for long enough so that the end won't be visible from the edge of the actual scenery area.

Hi,I'm a visitor here from the Fly! world - please no comments, I like Fly!Could you not use TerraScene to generate the scenery you want?I realise that it won't be as high a resolution as the other textures, but it would be better than the abrupt ending that you have now.I don't know what format you require the image to be in for the FU series but TerraScene will make a TGA image for you which could probably be converted to what you want.I do have FU3 installed but rarely use it. Most of my time is taken up with developing add-ons for Fly!2Please excuse my ignorance of the FU scenery subject if this suggestion is of no use.I must say how impressive the scenery that I have seen here is - might just have to get back into FU3 after all!Colin

Hi Jimmi,Yes, the beach would not be realistic, I know.As for the tiles repeating (it's called mirroring) it's already there in this scenery. The "border" tiles are repeated endlessly. The problem is, that the abrupt land ending, doesn't occur at the border. It occurs in the middle of a megatile (more exactly, at X600000 coordinate). So there are still many miles of water before reaching the border. As it is now, you just see the land ending in a straight line in the sea, and then sea up to the horizon and beyond :) . (I'll try to post a screenshot).Maybe after all I can leave it as it is now, maybe just smoothing a bit. And, it would really be a great effort to me, as I don't know much about hand-editing... I made some experiments, I prepared a "stripe" of beach, then repeated it several times. Well, the edge between beach and land was too abrupt; and the seam between the various beach pieces was ugly. Maybe after all I'll leave it as is.Cristian

Hello Colin,Thanks :) ! The TGA images would just be perfect, but the problem is another. First of all, as Jimmi said before, it would be unrealistic to put a shore where there isn't supposed to be one; and then, even wanting to do so, it would be very difficult to do all the hand-editing. I don't think I have the skills. I should generate the beach with colors similar to what we need, then cut the stripe of beach, then paste it in my pictures "smoothing" the edge. Hmmm, seems difficult to me...Thanks anyway :) !!!Cristian

Cristian,TerraScene generates a tga of an area using downloaded GIS data.In the case of the UK, we have to use the free (Esri) DCW data.It isn't perfect, but is is quite good.What you would end up with is an image that was geographically correct, with roads, railway lines, coastlines etc.It would not be as good as the photo images that I've seen you using, but it would definitely be better than either repeating textures or having an abrupt end to your land.Colin

Oops-another interloper from Fly! butting in!I've been 'UK'ing scenery' using the same source pics and have been working on the same 'East End of London' from Greenwich going East. Although I'm not absolutely sure which 'missing jpegs' you mean I've been filling in the many 'black' images in this area with pics from another scale-in my case using the 1:25000 images which do all seem to be there.You must have come across this problem fairly often though as there are odd 'black' images all over in over areas as well.Perhaps dropping down to the smallest 1:5000 scale and taking 4 pics for each 'missing' one would work sometimes instead.Keep up the good work.DaveT