Sign in to follow this  
Andy29

FU1 under Windows Me - page fault

Hi, I'm trying to run the DOS version of Flight Unlimited 1 under Windows Me. I have installed the patch (from Avsim), but I get a page fault after the loading screens every time I try to run the game. The exact error message is:Flight Unlimited vF2.4S has CRASHED.(Someday you will ache like I ache.)Page faultEAX: 00000000 EBX: fe000000 ECX: 3f5f8000 EDX: 00000003 TXT: 00000207ESI: 0000000e EDI: d01e0000 EBP: 847f1498 ESP: 848ebe40 DTA: 0000020fEIP: 8475726f ERR: 00000006 EFL: 00010216 EXC: 0000000e EMN: 846d583cCS: 0207 DS: 020f ES: 020f FS: 0000 GS: 02cf SS: 020fDoes anyone know what's wrong?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>Hi, I'm trying to run the DOS version of Flight Unlimited 1>under Windows Me. I have installed the patch (from Avsim), but>I get a page fault after the loading screens every time I try>to run the game. The exact error message is:>>Flight Unlimited vF2.4S has CRASHED.>(Someday you will ache like I ache.)>>Page fault That's a uniquely phrased error message. ;-) Can't say as I've ever seen one like that before.Page faults almost always result from memory conflicts, that is, two things trying to access the same thing in memory at the same time, and they are exceedingly difficult to diagnose. You might want to review the FAQs at www.dosgames.com and even the ones at that site under the WinXP troubleshooter, because many of them apply to Win98/ME as well.Just for the fun of it, I downloaded the game from www.the-underdogs.org and ran it, then patched it and ran it again on my Win98 setup. Other than some drifting problems using the mouse, it ran just fine. Also downloaded the manual somewhere, and found it refreshingly excited about the game. Who knew this DOS oldie would support virtual reality glasses? Wow!I didn't restart in DOS mode, but ran it directly under Win98. This one is so old and so unique that I think you're pretty much on your own to Google for the error message and for DOS game setup hints. You may find yourself needing to create specialized entries for files called autoexec.dos and config.dos, and running under straight DOS mode, or the other sites' hints may save you. Don't run a file called univbe.*, as that was a fix that pertained solely to the long-dead Video Local Bus. It's unlikely you are, as I think you have to go out of your way to run that one. This one's unlikely, but be sure you're running the game and not the demo; plenty of those got distributed.Sure wish I could help you more, but the potential causes are legion and I am but one. :-violin -Seadog

To distinguish between the demo and the real program, by the way, look at the file size and date of flight.exe. The original demo exe is about 1.67 MB, created 9-12-95, while the program exe (after I ran the patch) is about 2.01 MB, created 3-12-96. The demo is also called Flight Unlimited, Special Edition.Also, only the demo is DOS, as near as I can tell, because the real program has a 32-bit Win 9x executable. When I tried to run the demo all by itself, I did encounter memory problems in that my swap file (virtual memory) was not large enough to hold the whole program. So if you have the real program, you won't need any DOS tweaks.HTH, Seadog

I've downloaded the Windows version from HOTU too. Thanks for trying to help, but I think I'll just give up and stick with the one I downloaded. Of course I'll keep the one I bought for DOS, but it seems pointless trying to get it to work when I've got the Windows one sitting there ready to go. They're the same anyway, aren't they, except one is for Windows and one for DOS?It's certainly no demo. I looked at the exe and it's the size and date that you said. It came on the original CD in its case, with all of the manuals, and even the registration card. I think it's hardly been used. Sadly, I got it off eBay for 99p. Obviously no-one's interested in it any more :(At least now I've got the original versions of FU 1, 2 and 3.Here's a couple of pics:http://img69.exs.cx/img69/2143/fu_reg.jpg

>They're the same anyway, aren't they, except one is for Windows and one>for DOS?I don't believe they would be very similar, given the major differences between DOS and Windows. For example, the former would have no access to the DirectX functionality of the latter. I had a small suspicion that you'd applied the Windows ver. 2.4 patch to the DOS game, which wouldn't work at all as they have such different coding. For grins, try deleting your DOS game and reinstalling it, but do not apply the patch. Then try running it. If it's going to work for you at all, that is the way it will run. Good luck.-Seadog

>I don't believe they would be very similar, given the major>differences between DOS and Windows. For example, the former>would have no access to the DirectX functionality of the>latter. I had a small suspicion that you'd applied the Windows>ver. 2.4 patch to the DOS game, which wouldn't work at all as>they have such different coding.Heh, that's not what I meant! I meant that both versions have the same features, aircraft etc., except one is made for Windows, and the other for DOS.>For grins, try deleting your>DOS game and reinstalling it, but do not apply the patch. Then>try running it. If it's going to work for you at all, that is>the way it will run. Good luck.I'm afraid I tried that. It came up with the error befere I even found the patch :(

I don't have your full DOS version, just the demo, so I can't verify the similarities. They likely have the same aircraft, but features is probably another story. I briefly gave a try at installing the demo, and was instantly reminded of the tedious complexities of the old Morse Code days writing DOS config.sys and autoexec.bat files - providing device drivers for audio and CD-ROMs, and for expanded and extended memory and upper memory block access. That was enough for me. Almost makes me feel grateful for Windows.:-lol -Seadog

Don't forget to fill in that registration card so that you get your product support.RobD.

Yes, but I would advise the following:-1. Complete the registration card.2. Scan it, and save it as a text file.3. Upload it to the AVSIM Online FU3 file library.4. Confirm this on the FU3 forum.5. If you have any problems with it, post a message here for "product support" :-)Chris Low.