Sign in to follow this  
Guest VFR_Steve

The real simulator

You know even after many hours flying with FS2004, with photo scenery, with the highly acclaimed Real Air Marchetti, with active sky 6, with this n that... I STILL end up going back to FU3. You know why? Course you know why, FU3 REALLY flies, you really forgot that your sitting in front of a screen because your totally immersed in the whole experience/atmosphere. I've just finished a flight flying some circuits at Southampton, the ATIS report indicated calm winds, but this isn't FS9 style calm, you know.. 'flying on rails'. I lift off into the blue yonder, a building front is in the distance that REALLY does move (unlike the pathetic FS9 'dynamic weather which doesn

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi steve,The "splash" problem is caused by classification. This is an allocation on a pixel by pixel basis for all of the terrain, and there are just four, 1 for water, 2 for land, 3 for urban areas, 4 for airport flattened areas. To view classifications, use agtim's GeoViewer, a perfectly brilliant program that allows you to look at any tile and see its classification. Agtim has generated the classifications (I think) automatically, then gone over vast regions of UK redoing the classifications manually to get each lake separate. I don't think he has redone the classifications for all UK, and when I started building the Fretherne package (not released yet), I redid the classifications to allow landings on fields, floatplanes on the Severn and floatplanes on the canals, a massive piece of work that involved exporting the original classification, loading it as a picture, editing to match the photographic scenery, then reimporting and checking until it all worked. This took several nights, so how in the world agtim managed to do Wales by hand I can't imagine. The guy doesn't sleep.So the "splash" problem is caused by a wrong classification of the tile on which you landed. Four solutions:1) Land only on airports with runways. Many pilots do this, with some success. But the airport must have a runway.2) Learn how to use GeoViewer and change the classification yourself. Steep learning curve, easy but laborious once you have worked out what to do. But back up your file GeoTiles.tag (in regionsuk_southGEOS) before you tread here.3) Complain enough to agtim and he might drop Switzerland in order to fix Bournemouth. I doubt it.4) Put some flat object where you want to land. Eg a runway.In real life if you don't land on the runway, it doesnt go "splash". Its a bit worse. So be grateful!Your second problem is, strangely, related to the first. The airports that were made for UK all had to be "classified" as airports, which meant setting a region at a specific height, all flat. But the original terrain for UK was very flat, with some fractally interpolated hillocks to simulate (don't ask me what that means - agtim did all this, he can explain it). Southampton was built on this original terrain. Later agtim, having another sleepless night (or dozen) redid the complete terrain based on a new accurate data source, and suddenly all scenery objects were at the wrong height. Repositioning them took time, as each model had to be selected, moved slightly causing FLED to recalculate its height, then saved. Agtim devised an automatic way for doing this for airports, but not for general scenery.This means the airport config file is also set to the wrong height, and I think the AI aircraft take their heights from this - so when Southampton dropped from about 15 m to 6m, they ended up in midair.To fix (and I haven't tried this myself), find the airport GHI (Southampton), either in packagesSouthamptoninneruksouthairports or in regionsuk-southAIRPORTS, find the file 'fbo2.cfg' and change the height (last entry on only line) there to 6.33 m - it should fix this.If your models at Southampton are also floating in midair, you would need to used FLED to fix them to the correct altitude (as described above).This may also reset taxilines, lights etc to the new height. Again I haven't tested this - depends if the heights are dependent on the fbo2.cfg height or store their own heights when first created. I'll check later. Let me know how you go,Robert.

The "taxi elevation" of the AI planes is determined by the height of the terrain in which the blue airport icon sits in FLED. I always make sure that this icon is at the same elevation as the runway, so that the planes don't float above the asphalt. If any sections of taxiway are at a different elevation, the AI planes will appear to either "float" or "sink" respectively.Chris Low.

Yes this is correct, so do not change value in config2 but use FLED and move the blue airport icon a little bit and this will set it to the actual elevation - it must be set inside the flat area !In FU3 airports must be flat, when the runway is not flat, then AI will sink into it and into the ground or floating above ground. The player plane is still grounded so it's possible to make a runway that is not flat. anyway it will look bad for AIs.Classification:As I sleep my normal time of 6 hours and more ;-) I use the computer to do the work. Classification is done using GenQuadrant. You can load a tile L0yyxx.bin and then generate the classification for it, based on the colors of the terrain. I use a classification palette starting with the sanfran palette and replacing each color that looks like water to blue, white and grey to red and the remainder to green. The problem is that many colors are used for water and forest so UK terrain becomes very wet :-)In a tile without coastline you can paint the full classification picture in green to be safe for landing outside of airports. Airports are red after the yellow import. Yellow classification is just from me in combination with GeoTilesViewer and is not used by original FU3.Rule for landing outside airports without splash:LAND ON BRIGHT COLORS ONLYYou can modify the classification palette and redo all tiles very quickly using Genquadrant but airports and coastline may be wrong after this so make a backup. Look to my page at www.agtim.ch/FU3 for the details on making classification.Actually there is no elevation for the parts north of Liverpool up to about Newcastle. The old method takes too long to do it and it can be make much better using the new NASA SRTM V2 data. I have a program that generate elevation from the NASA data for the 64m FU3 grid.I have used this for Switzerland. To use it I must know the corner coordinates of each tile or a way to compute from the texture x/y to lat/long values. The final elevation is then very accurate, even for small valleys and lakes and complicated coastlines. Every one can contribute in a better UK elevation by finding a way to compute the coordinate then the Swiss region has 1. priority now :-) :-wave agtim

Thankyou for all your advice, Southampton is now looking a bit more normal now! Thing is I've tried to create a airport at Valley just so that when I go up North I have somewhere to land but I havnt got a clue how the 'taxigraph' thing works and I just keep getting error msgs and a 'no connection' error.I know this is probably basic stuff but I've never used the program before.Cheers,Steve