Sign in to follow this  
Guest Martin

Back in Time FS-1960

Guest Heather 636

My joy is flying the classic birds. DC-3, DC-4, the Connie, etc., etc.Working with a completely separate installation of FS2002, besides being one huge project, how difficult would it be to recreate the United States and airspace of 1960?I'm talking about removing airports that weren't there. Replacing current AI aircraft with airliners of that time.Etc. Etc.Or, has somebody already done this?Remarks?Cheers!Heather

Heather,this shouldn't be too difficult - I have WW1 version of CFS2 made pretty much along these lines . Back in FS98 days, there were a number of 'historical' versions created, I think one replicated the French Aeropostal service of the 30's ('The Line') and one called (I think) Golden Wings which recreated the thirties and forties. Tom Gibson created a 50's California too. I don't know about removing the default airfields, but replacing AI traffic is easy enough (I can mail you the procedure if you wish). To start you off, Tom has a special package of propliners that he's modified for AI on his site. It's nice idea, and I hope you do it!

Guest Heather 636

G'Day Crid!Thanks for the feedback.Okay, at least I didn't see screams of despair and agony over even thinking of attempting such a thing (of course, that never stopped me before ;) )I've just about got all my scenery updated to where I want it, another week ought to do it. Currently in the middle of my second attempt ever to repaint an aircraft, but, as soon as that's done, I may just give this project a go. You've encouraged me.I have yet to delve into the realm of changing AI's so I suppose I'd better get the hang of that first.Any info you can offer would be greatly appreciated.I'll probably just create a separate email/form folder to contain Project FS1960.Hey! Wasn't that when the Air Force was really starting to take an interest in UFO's? Project Blue Book I believe it was. I suppose I'll have to toss in an occasional one of those too :)Watch ATC try to handle one of those!Cheers!Heather

I actually had a passing thought a few days ago that Microsoft should allow this as part of the system -- that you could make (at the very least) landclass and BGL scenery dependent upon date the same way they make effects dependent. Otherwise I'm not sure what the point of having a year specification is in FS.The way I see it, they could have folders set up with different decades and then check against them and the year you've set, loading the appropriate landclass and scenery files as they set the textures depending on season. I realize it's enough trouble to try and create a realistic view of the current world, but there are always people out there who want to do things like this, and it would be easy enough to accomodate this in the program. With tools like John's Landclass Assistant (and others that will come when MS releases their scenery SDK) I suspect it wouldn't be too difficult to create an old time era (there might even be a whole cult of people who want to do just that).I for one would love to fly the Clipper back in the 30's...

Heather,Do a search here in the forum for Tom Gibson. He has a site with old prop jobs and sceneries of the US prior to jets...as he states "Jets are for kids". You'll most likely find what you are looking for. If you can't find the links...let me know, I'll be glad to help out.

Guest Heather 636

Thanks guys!I really do appreciate all the input. Every little bit is that much more that won't drive me to a migraine when I get to this project; which may be sooner than I think if this DC-3 repaint job I'm working on doesn't stop driving me crazy.Going to bookmark this topic so I can retrieve your advice when I get started.Heather

Hi HeatherArm yourself with Traffic Tools by Lee Swordy and Tom's AI modified propliners. Tom has full instructions in his zip file, but if you want to replace all your default 2002 aircraft and add some more 50 one's besides, mail me when you've installed them and I'll step you through it. It's dead easy ;).

Tom has problems just now. See:http://www.simufly.com/cgi-local/YaBB/YaBB...d=Classic_PropsHeather, you'd be interested in the classic props forum, anyway. And somewhere in the back of my computer I'm working on a version of Kai Tak from 1945, when things were very different and Cathay had eight DC-3s! All in good time ...Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Guest Heather 636

Okay guys, you've got me drooling!My parents were right, I was born far too late in the Twentieth century.I really do appreciate all this info. I can see already where much time and frustration will be saved and avoided.This project is probably a few weeks off, but when I tear into it, i will certainly take you up on your offer Crid.Thanks all!Heather

Very interresting.. keep us updated, while I turn on Glen Miller again.Johan[A HREF=http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk]Phoenix Simulation Software[/A]Unofficial PSS website:www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johd

Heather, Good luck with your project, and please keep us informed. :)

Guest Heather 636

Thanks for that lead Mark!Just visited the site, registered, and left my two cents worth.I can already see that I will be a regular over there too.Cheers!Heather

Guest joea

I am the only one who think's it's ironic and quite funny to think we are using the latest technology to simulate old, obsolete technology. Hey I think it's great, I love the old and the new[;-)] good luck.

Guest Heather 636

Never thought about it like that Joea, but you're right; an interesting concept.My brother is constantly using his "modern technology" to play, oops!, he hates that, "sim" WWII battles and simulations.Isn't it great though!A way to step back in time without the inconveniences; like lack of air-conditioning.Cheers!Heather