Sign in to follow this  
chumley

What the @#$%

HiI am using RC3.1 and enroute gander to Halifax.Since shortly after take off the bloody controller has been driving me absolutely crazy. Keeps telling me to adjust my course but I am right on the money - according to the PMDG FMC and the 'map'in FS.I gonna ring the #### neck soon. Can't wait for the critique at the end of the flight.:7 Andy b

You're not by any chance flying a direct track between those airports without a waypoint in between or with more than about 250 nms between what waypoints you do have are you, Andy? RC3 is not especially good at the Great Circle tracks required over that sort of distance so that might be your problem.Pete

You can see the heading RC expects you to fly to the next waypoint in the plan by looking at the top of the advdisp window. If you are being vectored and then told to resume your own nav, you are expected to fly direct from your present position to the next point, not join any original path from your plan as shown on a GPS or join a preselected VOR radial. I find that RC 3.1 follows my direct to headings as shown on GPS and homed VOR just fine with legs of up to 150 nm. The heading variance allowed is selectable on the options page.

Guest mkuebeler

>I am using RC3.1 and enroute gander to Halifax.>>Since shortly after take off the bloody controller has been>driving me absolutely crazy. Keeps telling me to adjust my>course but I am right on the money - according to the PMDG FMC>and the 'map'in FS.I had this EXACT same problem on several flights above 60 degree north lattitude. I set the allowable course deviation to 45 (default is 15), and the controllers stopped telling me I was off course.Mark Kuebeler

Guest Olivier

Hi guys,Those answers were very useful. Thanks a lot.Olivier

>You're not by any chance flying a direct track between those>airports without a waypoint in between or with more than about>250 nms between what waypoints you do have are you, Andy? RC3>is not especially good at the Great Circle tracks required>over that sort of distance so that might be your problem.>PeteNot a direct track - but I didn't have a departure runway selected (not supported at Gander in the PMDG FMC) and no waypoint was anything like 250nms - the whole trip was 500 nms with 4 waypoints.In the end I turned down the volume until closer to the destination then was led a merry dance on approach. Oddly enough RC gave up and I didn't get the lecture I expected from the controller and Bill Stevens stayed honme - too darn cold LOLAndy b

Oh, well that puts paid to my theory then. Other than double-checking that the *.pln version for RC and the *.rte version for PMDG of your flight plan are not different in any way, I can't think of anything else that might cause this. If you want to post the route you used here I'll try flying it for you and see if I get the same problem.Pete

i thought there was bug in an fmc, don't know which one, where the first waypoint is duplicated in the .pln when it is exportedjd

You're probably thinking of the PSS problem which was dropping the first waypoint. Doesn't seem to apply here - looks fine in the PMDG FMC. I'll fly it later this evening - I'm too busy watching England beat South Africa at the moment!!!PP

Hi Andy, I flew your plan using RC and the PMDG 737NG without being able to recreate your problem. The FMC's tracks agreed with RC's to within 1 degree throughout the flight so I'm afraid I can't help on this one. Maybe jd has some more ideas.Pete

Thanks - were you using add-on weather by any chance?Did you have a departure runway in the FMC?I will be flying back to Gander later and will redo the flight after that - I'll report back - at least the flightplan is working OK.Andy b

No, I flew it with the "Fair Weather" theme. I wanted to depart from 4 but that didn't seem to be in the FMC so I had to use 13. Let us know what happens when you re-fly the plan.Pete

Flew the plan again without a problem. Stuck to the route like glue and not an aggravated word from ATC.However, on my system there was no sign of a departure runway - just a strange message when I loaded the plan. I was using the latest AIRAC data so it has me stuffed as to what is going on.Andy b