Sign in to follow this  
Guest achimgie

inHG instead of hPa

Guest achimgie

Hallo everybody out there!I

Hi Achim,I'm afraid not. It's dependent on where your flying. FAA controlled airports - mainly USA, use inches but non-FAA ones, Europe for example all use millibars. All part of the realism :-)Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Some of the standby altimeters have both hPa and inHg windows if you need to install one. They read altitude and airspeed. If you wish to install one look for a gauge called combi-gauge.

>Is there any option in RC4 to change the altimeter pressure readout from hPa to inHG? Hi Achim,If I've understood you correctly, you want the RC "controllers" and the ATIS to pass the pressure setting in in/Hg instead of hectopascals when you're flying outside the USA. If this is correct, could you please explain why you want this done?Best wishesPete

Guest achimgie

Hello again altogether!Thanks a lot to all at first!@Pete:Yes, that

Hi Achim,Pete has been a UK controller for many years. Remember miilibars is another name for HPa and it is often referred to as QNH. So the fact you don't hear the word Hectopascals doesn't mean the unit isn't being used. RC never uses km for distance or km/h for speed or m for altitude.All the best,John

Hi Achim,Thanks for the explanation. Perhaps I can help you a little by explaining the systems used in ATC in the real-world and how we've chosen to simulate them in Radar Contact4.In areas controlled by FAA rules - the United States and associated territories, for example - pressure is passed in inches of mercury, visibility is given in statute (not nautical) miles, cloud heights in feet, aircraft altitudes in feet (flight levels above the Transition Altitude) and speed in knots or mach numbers. This is fully and accurately simulated in RC4.Outside of North America, most of the rest of the world (including Europe) complies with ICAO Standards and Recommended Practices which means hectopascals (millibars in the UK) are used for passing pressure, and metres and kilometres are used for visibility. As in the US, cloud heights and aiircraft altitudes are passed in feet (flight levels for aircraft above the TA) and knots or mach numbers for speed. This is also correctly simulated in Radar Contact 4.There are also a few countries - the states of the former Soviet Union and China are examples - that use metres for aircraft altitudes and kilometres for aircraft speeds. This is not simulated in RC4.I hope this makes the real-world situation a little clearer to you. When RC controllers pass the pressure in hectopascals for flights outside North America, they're doing exactly what their real-world counterparts do.All the bestPetehttp://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannerbeta.jpg

Guest mikealpha

>> There are also a few countries - the states of the former Soviet Union and China are examples - that use metres for aircraft altitudes and kilometres for aircraft speedsAnd they use mm/HG. Just for the records, and for the RC5 wish list, ouch :DRussian planes are usually equipped with two altimeters (meters and feet), so e.g. in the Tupolev Tu-154 you can set both mm/HG and hectopascal.Mike

Hi Mike,For the v4.1 wishlist don't forget to tell Doug about any major Russian airlines for which we don't have recorded callsigns (I think that's everything apart from Aeroflot!) or major Russian airports for which we haven't recorded names (currently we have Minsk and Shermetyevo). Put them in order of importance, we might not get to record them all but, hopefully, will get some more done.I'd like Pulkovo for starters.All the best,John

>And they use mm/HG. Just for the records, and for the RC5 wish list, ouch :DThey do indeed, Mike. However, I think that by the time RC 5 hits the streets, countries like Russia will have "come into line" and will be using ft/FL, knots and so on. Just a feeling, but the more the former Soviet Union countries and China open up to international air transport, the more the pressure that will be applied on them to conform with their ATC systems. We'll see - time will tell. ;-) http://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannerbeta.jpg

Guest achimgie

Hi Pete!Aaah - light is coming into darkness! :)Thanks a lot for those expert informations!!Best wishes - Achim