Sign in to follow this  
Darcy

Anyone found a solution for the stuttering/pause in 4.01?

Guest Dutch64

OK, so far i've tried:-other harddisk, tried both sata and ide-disabling "nice and quiet" technology in bios (can cause sometimes stutters)-default cessna, default scenery-indexing on, off-filestamping on/off-system restore off-firewall off, uninstalled, on-anti virus off (NOD32)-memory management on system cache, programs-frames locked at 18-different sound drivers (ms wdm drivers, soundblaster drivers, kx drivers)-different nvidia drivers (several releases)All made no difference....I will leave 4.01 installed and every flight i will try something else like different chipset drivers for motherboard, different bios settings etc.....Martin

Guest pellelil

You could try moving some of your PCI-cards in your computer. The variuos PCI-cards are given resources based on which sockets you are using, so perhaps you can gain better performance using other PCI slot or simply swapping some of your PCI-cards.You can download the free version of SiSoft Sandra which can inform you of the resources for each of your PCI-cards: http://www.sisoftware.net/http://jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannerbeta.jpgPelle F. S. Liljendal

Guest RichR

It could be my imagination, but there is less hesitation, clearer speech with less missing words when I use my headphones. I use an Audigy Gamer card sound with three speakers and just a "Y" connection for my headset. I'm no expert on this stuff, but the headset gives a more satisfactory result.RichR

Guest Dutch64

>You could try moving some of your PCI-cards in your computer.>The variuos PCI-cards are given resources based on which>sockets you are using, so perhaps you can gain betterGood idea, that's something i can still try because i remember from some years ago that soundblaster cards can be really picky in which slot you put them;)

Guest 102301636

hi folks,lets get right back to basics...JD or Ray can you guys set up a poll to see the type of chipset that people have that are having problems??I firmly believe that the chipset is the issue (& the processor).I have a Pentium M 1.86GHz with 2MB L2 cache and a gig of DDR2 RAM (integrated 7.1 sound, i.e. no external soundcard) and I have no problems whatsoever (running FS9.1, ActiveSky6, FS2Crew, PMDG 737, Ultimate Traffic and a few other bits and pieces).I suspect the problem lies in the manner in which the execution engine of the processor goes about executing the concatenation of the various wav files.I would be interested in knowing if anyone out there with a 64 bit Athlon Processor DOES NOT have this problem?Also if you have a Pentium Processor and have this problem which Pentium processor is it?...does it have a rapid execution engine?What pin package do you have? 775,478 or 423...Is your Pentium a member of the family which has the NetBurst Micro-architecture...all of this stuff is more important....if you are not sure check out the white papers on the intel site.I reckon there is a difference in the way the AMD's handle the execution of the sound files (especially with the 64bit versions)I'd love to shed some more light on the situation if I can.RegardsAlan

Guest IanPartridge

Hi Alan.... and all.Here's my set up:AMD Athlon 64 3700+, Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 (nVidia 3 chipset), 2GB PC3200 RAM, PNY GeForce 6600 (AGP 8x), Maxtor 115GB 7200rpm Ultra/ATA133 hard drive, C-Media CMI8738 sound card, Saitek X52 and Belikin Nostromo n52.It all run on Windows XP sp2 (32bit)ASV6 and RC4.01 run on networked PC - AMD Athlon 3000+ (32bit), ABIT VA-20 motherboard, 1GB PC2700 RAM, PNY GeForce 6200, Creative Soundblaster PCI soundcardI fly mainly with PMDG 737 and LDS 767, FS2Crew, FSTraffic2005 all FS sliders are maxed.I did some monitoring of timings last night and delay from keypress to RC response averaged around 1.5 seconds - during peak system usage the maximum delay was 3 seconds. There was not noticable loss of FPS when the wav's are linked and not stuuers in either sound or sim.So the AMD 64 processor certainly in my case handles the update with no problem.The plot thickens.CheersIan

Guest 102301636

Ian,If I understand your set-up correctly, you are running fs on the 64-bit Athlon processor and RC 4 on a networked machine with a 32-bit Athlon processor.the slight delay of 1.5-3 seconds that you are experiencing is most definately due to the fact your machines are networked and the communication overhead of having to communicate one large concatentated wav between your machines and has no bearing on either machine or any one application.So if I'm right, you shouldn't have any problem, I suspect (and this is not confirmed) most people who do have problems are running RC on a machine with a 64-bit Athlon processor (for the most part).Alan

Guest IanPartridge

Hi Alan,I agree my system has no problems at all with RC - when I was testing the update I also tried it with RC installed on the FS PC i.e 64bit and still did not encounter these problems - so not sure if 64bit is the root cause - oh wee we'll keep plugging away!!Ian

Guest Roger Eve

Hi Guys,I have a 2.8 P4 Intel processor & an Audigy 2 sound card and had the stutters BUT I turned my hyperthreading ON and the stutters have gone :-) I have lost 2-3 fps I think, but this is not a problem for me. I am sure I read something like this in a previous thread.Roger

Hi Martin,You get full marks for effort. I notice you haven't posted your system specs. Can you do so please?Also, you said this in an earlier message... <>I have absolutely no idea how this comes across. Are there breaks in dialogue such as "Speedbird 1234, contact London control on 123.45". Can you describe how this sounds?I suspect you have an Athlon and perhaps a lower powered one as you limit your frame rates to 18. The fact that you've disabled so many options that I have on by default (indexing etc.) shows how little this has on performance.The fact that the problem appears to be suffered exclusively by Athlon owners tells me that this processor does things in a fundamentally different way to the Pentium. I'm not saying it's good or bad - just different.I have seen a report from an Athlon 4000 owner who wasn't suffering this problem so it seems that if you throw enough muscle at it the problem goes away. RC4 is not normally heavily dependent on processor power but clearly during either the wav gathering process or during the concatenation it's not getting enough processing cycles.JD is temporarily out of the loop because of personal issues but I'm sure that when he has the time he will investigate the problem and do all within his capability to resolve it.Until then I'm not sure I can add much more to what I've already said. Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Alan,<I have not heard from any Pentium owners who are suffering with this problem. They appear to be Athlon users. There are Athlon-based systems in use by the beta team but several people run RC4 via WideFS so have not experienced the problem. I know it seems a bit overkill but running FS related programs on a second PC does free up a lot of resources for FS9 and of course it will enhance the performance of RC4. A modest Athlon 2000 or Pentium equivalent would perform admirably.You have posted some very good questions. Hopefully they will attract plenty of replies.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest 102301636

Hi again,I don't know enough about AMD processors so I will read into them and see what I come up with over the next few weeks...My experience is with Intel technologies for the most part where processors and chipsets are concerned.While I'm reading up on AMD I have set up a poll, which I am hoping people will respond to so I can draw some conclusionsONLY TAKE THE POLL IF YOU ARE HAVING THE STUTTERING AND/OR TRANSMISSION DELAY PROBLEM!!!The poll is here;http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=330281901556NB!!! IF YOU ARE RUNNING MULTIPLE MACHINES (ie a network) TELL ME THE PROCESSOR OF THE MACHINE YOU ARE RUNNING RC4 ONThanks,Alan (and sorry for the caps!)

Okay now I am really confused. I started this post and I am not sure what to try now or not to try. I don't know whether I should reinstall 4.01 and try out some of the new ideas or just bite the bullet and enjoy 4.0. I have been reluctant to reinstall 4.01 because I have not heard of much success. (I would rather fly that try a hundred different combo's)I have a Pentium 4 2.0mhz, Gforce 5700, Audigy 2. I am running Ultimate Traffic, UT Canada, GE, FSPassenger, AS6. FPS locked at 22. Frame rates are fine.4.0 works great and 4.01 stutter/pauseAnyways this must be a problem for more than just me because of all the interest and the amount of people viewing this post.I know there is an answer out there somewhere.Thanks

Hi Darcy,The update is reversible if you can't get the 4.01 version to run smoothly.OTOH, if you're happy with 4.0 then stay with it. There are no differences in controller procedures. I can't remember the full list of 4.01 updates but the website should list them. Click the icon below.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Kingair315

Ive had no stuttering or pausing, and communication is pretty smooth considering it is put together from different files. My feeling is that it may be caused by lack of memory. When I load the FS, I use FSAutostart, and about 37 services and programs are removed from my system first. They take up a lot of memory for things which are not used by the FS, which dramaticaly improves the operation of FS & RC4