Sign in to follow this  
Brian Doney

Cadence

Hello all.I purchased v4, oh I'd say about 4-6 weeks ago. This has been my first experience with RC. I'd heard about it before, and always kept an eye on the forum, but the lack of AI interaction held me back from ever taking the plunge.With the announcement of v4, I knew I'd eventually purchase, and here we are. Maybe a bit late, but I think my days of standing in line on release day are over. No offense to JD an Co., I guess I've just finally learned that a little bit of patience can save alot of frustration, and when I saw the 4.01 patch had been released, I knew I'd be purchasing soon after.Ok enough of that rambling nonsense.I'm really, really (really !) starting to get into this program. The more I use it, the more I enjoy and appreciate the time and attention to detail that went into producing it. I am not a real world anything aviation related, just a long time simmer and just shy of 2000hr VATSIM member, and I haven't had this much fun with the sim in years.That's not to say it's perfect, but let's face it, it never will be, but that's through no fault or lack of talent on the part of the RC team. Also, my first impression of RC was not so rosy, it took time and plain old experience in using it to see it for what it was. (If I had anything to say to new users, as I am still one of you, it would just be to give it time, you won't fall into it in one sitting.)I guess what I enjoy the most is the unpredictability; the way RC has succeeded in actually causing me to forget that I'm still at my desk, staring at a computer screen. That hasn't happened for me in a long time, and for that, I thank you.For me, I guess it does this simply by keeping me engaged, not letting me be lazy, and forcing me to make use of skills and practices I'd long since stopped using, simply because with the default ATC, or even flying through the empty skies of VATSIM, they just weren't needed. I see that RC is an ever-evolving creation, and I look forward to being a part of that from this point forward. I would like to make one request in that vein, just as something for the team to think about, that maybe an option could somehow be arrived at to allow the user to speed up the cadence of speech.If there were on thing that pulls me back into reality while using RC, it's the cadence. I find myself often wanting to yell "Just spit it out already !" while waiting for the end of a transmission. To be clear, I have little to no performance issues with RC, especially now, thanks to Pete Dowson's FSUIPC Window, and the voices and RT are very clear and easy to understand (hats off to the owners of those voices, you've done very well :) ), I just wish there were a way to speed up the cadence overall, somewhat like what EditVoicePack did for the default ATC voices. Now I don't expect an answer, I just wanted to share my thoughts, and at the same time, thank you all for making my sim experience fun again.That's something I just can't put a price on.Best to you all.

Regards,

Brian Doney

glad you're enjoying it. make sure the sliders on the voices page are all the way to the left (which means don't add white space between each word and phrase). if it is all the way to the right, then i'm inserting about 1 second between every word and phrase.jd

John,I really am enjoying it, thank you. :)I do have the sliders full left, and having used v4 just briefly without the patch, there is most certainly a difference.I guess I'm actually asking for a bit more speed than that even. EVP, as I'm sure you know, actually batch accelerated the individual wavs, by a relatively small amount. It doesn't take much acceleration to make a huge difference. The only negative side effect I ever saw, is that with the slight acceleration in actual speed, there is also a very slight increase in pitch, but this was negligable IMHO, and I only ever noticed it comparing them side by side.The upside of course being that people can record in their normal tone of voice and cadence, and with only a slight compromise in pitch accuracy, the wavs can be accelerated post-process, resulting in a much more brisk cadence.I understand that you may well have much more important issues that you are working on, and if this is something you'd rather not fiddle with, that's certainly also understandable. I just wanted to put a bug in your ear, as something to maybe keep in the back of your mind as you move forward, really nothing more than that.If nothing comes of it, you still have an absolutely outstanding product. EDIT: I mistakenly used "tone" to describe pitch, just wanted to clarify.

Regards,

Brian Doney

the danger there is, that if i mechanically/programatically speed up voices, then some people will say it is too fast :-( once the wavs themselves have been sped up, i can't slow them down.we'll see what we can do with the next versionjd