Sign in to follow this  
Guest wtsapchy

Pause before TOD

Guest wtsapchy

Hi all,I often did long haul flight and could not sit in front of my computer for 10 hours during cruise waiting for that descend from RC. I was wondering how I could set RC and FS to pause just right before TOD. I knew there was a 'Pause @ Distance' function in RC but the problem was I did not know TOD beforehand and so I was not able to get that pause even roughly. What distance should I put so that I could get that pause roughly before TOD for different flight distance ? Just wonder if JD could incorporate that capability in future version.Also, I wish RC could simulate the ATC clearance for using flight tracks across the Alantic Ocean and Pacific Ocean like that in real life. Would be great fun !!!DanielVHHH

Hi Daniel,As a general rule of thumb RC will start you down approximately 40 miles from the FMC-calculated ToD point. I suggest you use the next few flights to experiment with the Pause@Distance value. Better to sit there for 5 minutes than to miss the call.I'm currently flying Concorde at FL590 and expect to be started down about 240 miles from my destination although I will remain at the controls for the flight duration. Mach 2 has its benefits ;-)For a cruise altitude of FL350 I suggest you enter 130 miles and adjust as necessary.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest wtsapchy

Hi Ray,I did a couple of flights. Your '40nm before TOD of FMC' is pretty close. Just wondered how you coped with those long flight if you didn't set pause before TOD ?One more thing, in my last descend to Malaysia Intl, the transition altitude given by RC is 11000 ft and RC instructed me to descend to 11000 ft. On reaching 11000, my FO told me I had reached transition and so I set Baro to local but then RC said I busted altitude, so I tuned back to standard. RC and FO just yelled at me alternatively. Should I set baro to standard or local in that situation ?DanielVHHH

if you are told to descend to 11000, then you need the local pressure. if you are told to descend to fl 110, then you need the standard pressure.comprehensive section in the manual on how to handle transition altitudes and transition levels outside the united statesjd

Hi Daniel,<>Good :-)<Dedication ;-) Actually on the rare occasion I fly long haul I usually read the Sunday papers by the computer and the time soon passes especially when flying Concorde at FL590 at Mach 2. No flight lasts longer than 4.5hrs :-) Sure beats all those slowcoach Boeings and Airbuses. }( Just to add to what JD said it's best if you change the altimeter pressure when you get your first clearance to a flight level (climbing) and an altitude (when descending) rather than waiting for the reminder from RC. After all, that's a reminder, not an instruction so the altimeter should already be set accordingly.For example, when departing from EGCC (Transition Altitude 5,000ft) and I'm climbing out to my initial altitude of 6000ft when I'm cleared to FL150 I will set the altimeter to 29.92 after acknowledging that instruction and not wait until hearing the reminder.Likewise when descending. If descending towards EGCC and level at FL90 once I'm cleared down to 5,000ft I will set the altimeter to QNH after acknowledging that instruction.I always set the pressure on the altimeter manually and recommend you do the same. Pressing the B key will not produce consistent results worldwide. Manually setting it will.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest wtsapchy

>Hi Daniel,>Dedication ;-) Actually on the rare occasion I fly long haul I>usually read the Sunday papers by the computer and the time>soon passes especially when flying Concorde at FL590 at Mach>2. No flight lasts longer than 4.5hrs :-) Sure beats all those>slowcoach Boeings and Airbuses. } Dedication to FS !! Aren't we all ? How much is that Concorde....????>For example, when departing from EGCC (Transition Altitude>5,000ft) and I'm climbing out to my initial altitude of 6000ft>when I'm cleared to FL150 I will set the altimeter to 29.92>after acknowledging that instruction and not wait until>hearing the reminder.Does that mean you will not set altimeter to 29.92 even though you pass 5000 ft but not yet cleared to FL150 ? Isn't that we should set Baro to standard as soon as we pass 5000 ft ?>I always set the pressure on the altimeter manually and>recommend you do the same. Pressing the B key will not produce>consistent results worldwide. Manually setting it will.Will that pose a problem while flying on ils with AP on ? Sometimes, I found that the local altimeter told by RC was slightly different from that in FS as shown by pressing B. You will be actually higher or lower in GS if not pressing B to set altimeter.Cheers,DanielVHHH

Hi Daniel,<I find that I'm cleared higher before reaching the initial altitude. But if I wasn't and had to remain at 6,000ft I would leave the altimeter on QNH (local). Of course I should have said cleared to FL60 - not 6,000ft ;-)<>You will be given the local QNH when cleared to a lower altitude so providing you set the altimeter correctly there shouldn't be an issue. Unless you're flying in the middle of a hurricane the pressure isn't suddenly going to change that much and any difference certainly won't affect your approach and landing.An incorrect pressure setting isn't going to affect the autopilot on an ILS approach. It just follows the two needles.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather