Sign in to follow this  
Scott434

RC4 newbie

JD/others,I purchased RC4 the other day and anxiously await its arrival. Actually, the waiting period is a bonus since it has allowed me to do some reading of the manual. From reading the manuals, this forum and others I have gained an appreciation of the efforts that went into creating the product. I look forward to actually using it!I fly exclusively the PMDG 747-400(F) . Given that this aircraft is not released for FSX and FSX is in its infancy, I decided to shelve my copy of FSX until

1) in the release notes it describes how to use rcv4 with both fs9 and fsx. you upgrade your 4.2 directory (rcv4 by default) to 4.3then you copy the rcv4 directory, and all of it's subdirectories to rcv4xyou run rcv4.exe from rcv4 for fs9, and rcv4 from rcv4x for fsx2) i go by what is in the .pln file you import into rc. as long as the .pln agrees with what you load into the fmc, i think you're ok3) not that i'm aware ofjd

I have the PMDG 737NG series. The FMC vs. RC question comes up frequently. You can search under my name in this forum for FMC in the text.You wisely chose FSBuild (although some other planners can do what I suggest). To keep as much of your .pln file (for RC) and FMC in sync, use the SID/STAR database in FSBuild. When you are satisfied with the route in FSBuild, build it one more time with the build options to export to the PMDG 747 and FS2004 options checked. (Note that in FSBuild you can alternately select for each session to build from the route grid so you can delete any weird waypoints due to various causes that were included in the build.) You can close FSB after the plans are exported (and also if you wish save your FSB plan as well beforte closing).When you build with these export options checked, a .pln file will be put in your FS9 plan folder for RC and an .rt2 file will be put in your PMDG plan folder with matching waypoints in each. In your FMC select PERF INIT, INDEX, NAVDATA, FLT PLANS. Advance with the NEXT key until you see the name of the plan usually the ICAO code for the departure destination adjacent. If there are any messages in the scratchpad please the CLR button until it is blank. Press the LSK button adjacent to the plan name and it will load in the scratchpad. Go to RTE page 1 and press the LSK button next to CO ROUTE boxes. The plan will now load into the FMC for activation and execution.This avoids any mismatch between your RC .pln file and your FMC route due to differences in the FMC database and the FSB database.Remember that ATC rules! Know how to manipulate the FMC for direct-tos and use the MCP to follow vectors and altitude instructions, just like real world procedures.I use just the arrival ILS, VOR, or other procedure loading into the FMC when RC approach assigns a runway as guidance. Know how to change again the loaded FMC runway as approach might change it due to AI activity. This is just to provide situational awareness on the nav display. Be aware that the FMC database is not thorought regartding runways and IAPs, but you can depart and arrive without LNAV by using the MCP and tuning your navs manually if you have a problem. If you do not have the specific runway in the FMC DEPARR database, just put in what you have and follow RC's instructions and/or departure and approach plates you might have.If you are are flying at FAA airports a good source of airport layouts and published procedures is at flightware.com. Click on resources, then enter the ICAO four letter code and download the full .pdf bundle. For arrival if you accept RC vectors, at some point you will leave the STAR waypoints. If you wish to load a STAR from the FMC or a complete IAP, when RC Approach assigns a runway, just go into the extended menues, choose IAP, select the procedure, and RC will let you navigate on your own for final and will contact you on final.For departure, if your first .pln waypooint is within 3o nm of the runway, you will get an as-filed departure clearance and you fly it from your .pln. If you do not overide a departure choice (pre-flight in the RC Controller menu) and your first waypoint is outside of 30 nm, then you will get vectors to line you up with that first waypoint and use your MCP HDG and LVLCHG to follow these. When RC says to resume your own navigation, punch the LSK next to the waypoint on the LEGS page that RC expects you go direct to, the punch the top left LSK on page 1 of the LEGS page and it should give you a direct-to heading. EXE the change and you can now EXE it and engage LNAV.These techniques have worked for me in eliminating friction between what the FMC advises and what RC ATC demands.In the RC manual look over all your departure and arrival flexibility options and you'll get the hang of it.Know how to edit your route and altitudes in the FMC and for VNAV understand how the MCP ALT can limit each climb step or oveerride it and on arrival become familiar with the DES page, the DES NOW function, and how the MCP ALT can coordinate with VNAV. I do suggest you consider in the first stages of departure and final stages of arrival you consider using LVLCHG instead of VNAV to obey altitude crossing restrictions.I hope that answers any questions about your section (2.) and FMC compatibility.

Ron, Thanks for your helpful response and worthwhile information. It is comforting to know that help is close by.For your info, the PMDG737 and the PMDG747 FMCs are different (rev 2.1 and 3.0 respectively I believe). The steps are a bit different for loading routes.Again, thanks for your helpful response.