Sign in to follow this  
Guest hedgerowbackwards

My time was up! - advice please

Guest hedgerowbackwards

I am a rc4 novice and was flying a VA flight from ENDI Dagali to EGKK Gatwick in an RJ85. Wx and clearance was by telephone. The terminal is near the 08 end of the rwy and the active was 26 - requiring a long taxi on the rwy downwind and then turn into wind for t/o.All seemed ok until between v1 and rotate, when an rc voice said something like: "Times up buddy, 20 minutes is enough for anyone, I'm cutting you off" and rc was gone.I was able to use the ms atc for the remainder of the flight but my question is: Is there any way to extend the 20 minutes allowance to, say, 30 minutes to allow for situations similar to that which I met at ENDI?Thanks for any advice, hrb.

no, 20 minutes should be long enough to get your clearance, and get in the air.maybe you should get your clearance in the air, if it is IFR conditionsmaybe fly the tutorials, so you can get the hang of how things works, so that things start coming second nature to youjd

Here's some info on this now closed uncontrolled airport. The runway is about 6,000 feet.http://www.geilolufthavn.no/default.aspx?MenuID=5322I suggest you get your RJ prepped before filing for your clearance. You might even file near the runway entrance to save a few minutes.My Norwegian is not that good but since there is no radio control and this was licensed as a private airport, you get your own weather and you choose your runway so you can taxi and turn around within about twelve minutes giving you eight minutes to get in the air and activate your plan with center. That should be enough for your RJ85.

Guest hedgerowbackwards

Thanks for the advice and help, regards, hrb.

Im sorry, but i dont think 20 minutes is long enough.I dont get clearance until im ready to turn on taxi lights and taxi.The problem is if your at an airfield which has no taxiways that lead to the ends of the runway, just one taxiway onto the runway, which occurs frequently in Australia at country airfields. Which means you need to wait for an aircraft to land, backtrack on the runway, exit then get past the point at the apron whereby you can start your taxi. Then you have to taxi onto the runway and backtrack yourself.All this can take longer than the 20 minutes required.And if you have two aircraft follow each other, then fat chance.Now i know your going to tell me to wait and get the clearance after these aircraft have landed and parked, but talk about wasting time. And you shouldnt be getting clearances whilst taxying either. The only thing you should be doing whilst taxying is looking out the window for other dangers, not with the head buried in the cockpit.There should at least be an option to extend SAR TIME via radio, as in real life.Andy

Im sorry, but i dont think 20 minutes is long enough.I dont get clearance until im ready to turn on taxi lights and taxi.The problem is if your at an airfield which has no taxiways that lead to the ends of the runway, just one taxiway onto the runway, which occurs frequently in Australia at country airfields. Which means you need to wait for an aircraft to land, backtrack on the runway, exit then get past the point at the apron whereby you can start your taxi. Then you have to taxi onto the runway and backtrack yourself.All this can take longer than the 20 minutes required.And if you have two aircraft follow each other, then fat chance.Now i know your going to tell me to wait and get the clearance after these aircraft have landed and parked, but talk about wasting time. And you shouldnt be getting clearances whilst taxying either. The only thing you should be doing whilst taxying is looking out the window for other dangers, not with the head buried in the cockpit.There should at least be an option to extend SAR TIME via radio, as in real life.Andy
at this time, there is not an option to change it. sorry. at the time, 20 minutes seemed quite reasonable.sorryjd