Sign in to follow this  
twojastara

Free tool to find your fps drops

I have changed my graphics card to GTX 960 and realized that more important thing is a constant fps rate rather than fps value itself.

On my newer machine I get the same fps number, but it is steady, with no drops and it feels just very different.

So, back to the point - here is a brief tutorial how to use VfrFlight (http://vfrflight.org) to track your fps number during the whole flight, so you can try to nail down your stutters.

It's very easy.

1. If you are running VfrFlight on the same PC, first press 'connect' button in the top toolbar. Otherwise, you can configure it to work remotely (see here: http://vfrflight.org/en/documentation.html#6_2).

image.jpg

2. Fly around.

3. Press disconnect.

4. Right click on your track and choose 'Analyze track' from menu.

image.jpg

5. When the new dialog opens (pictured below), right click on it and choose 'FPS' / 'Show FPS' from context menu.

Now, you get a chart with your FPS during the whole flight. You can move mouse over every value to get more information. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

6. If you right click again and set 'Show position in the map' and 'Follow mouse position' in the menu, you will see in which exact place you had this frame rate.

image.jpg

7. Choosing 'FPS' / 'Show FPS stats' from menu will count your average fps, median, minimum, maximum and standard deviation.

Default sampling rate (interval in which, data is gathered) is 1000 ms, but you can change it in Settings / FSX/P3D / SimConnect tab.

If you have ideas for some other features to add, feel free to share it.

Enjoy :smile: .

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Cool.

This could be great incorporated into FSXMark11.

A graph would show a lot more than the current Min/Avg/Max.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

This could be great incorporated into FSXMark11.

Thanks for heads up, I didn't know that tool.

Looks very interesting, I will take a look later.

Cheers

Lukasz Kulasek

One more thing to be clear - in VfrFlight you can also get your FPS summary statistics.

In the right of the chart, from the top: maximum, average, median, minimum. The darked area is a standard deviation.

image.jpg

Lukasz Kulasek

Very robust tool to see FPS perf in details.  However I'm not sure if this is meaningful for "hunting down stutters".  Stutters are rarely correlated with the direct position and speed, etc. of the airplane.  It's more linked to things like file access (i.e. texture or AI traffic loading...).

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Very robust tool to see FPS perf in details.  However I'm not sure if this is meaningful for "hunting down stutters".  Stutters are rarely correlated with the direct position and speed, etc. of the airplane.  It's more linked to things like file access (i.e. texture or AI traffic loading...).

Yes, I agree with most of what you said with a distinction to plane's position and heading. For example, if you have a detailed Manhattan scenery, you could see how you perform flying over it, or facing it.

But of course there could be other factors.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Lukasz Kulasek