Sign in to follow this  
deltafan

FPS Limiter 0.2 and FSX

I had the same problem like the opener - a batch file on the desktop, executing it resulted only in a short flashing command line windows and that was it.I managed to take a screenshot of that very short moment and realized that there was an error message saying that fps limiter could not load the limiter_d3d9.dll, looking for it in the same directory where the batch files is (not the directory of fps limiter, as I expected!).Copying the batch file into the fps limiter directory and making a shortcut on the desktop solved the problem.So if you have the same trouble, give it a try.CheersAlbert

Hi - I've tried everything written in this thread to get it to work with no luck. My bat file is: Start C:\"FPS Limiter\"FPS_Limiter.exe /r:D3D9 /f:30 /x:OFF /l:OFF " C:\FSX\fsx.exeI disabled UAC, have the bat file as well as fps limiter exe file in "fps limiter" folder that I created and put in my c drive. I changed the exe file to run as administrator, and on compatibility tab I have "disable desktop composition". I don't get it - can anyone help?Appreciate it, thanksMike

Mike Normandeau

Montreal, Canada

Guest Devrij
I had the same problem like the opener - a batch file on the desktop, executing it resulted only in a short flashing command line windows and that was it.I managed to take a screenshot of that very short moment and realized that there was an error message saying that fps limiter could not load the limiter_d3d9.dll, looking for it in the same directory where the batch files is (not the directory of fps limiter, as I expected!).Copying the batch file into the fps limiter directory and making a shortcut on the desktop solved the problem.So if you have the same trouble, give it a try.CheersAlbert
Aha! I did the same and for some reason it was looking in my windows/system32 folder for the d3d9.dll file?! Unfortunately moving it there hasn't seemed to help :( At least I know why it isn't working though!message.jpg

Dear Jerome,that's exactly what I described long long time ago in some other forums as I tested myself also a lot. Most of the simmers prefer the FPS limiter because of following reason: You switch to "unlimited" in FSX, and this produces higher FPS. The FPS Limiter then just "cuts" the frames above the configured limit and the result is you get some higher FPS than using the internal FSX limiter. BUT: do they ever have a look at the extended frame display on the top left corner? There's another value called V: 1,6 % for example. This value changes rapidly. It stands for "Variance". It shows how stable the current displayed frame rate is. The higher this Variance value will get, the more instable is the displayed frame rate. You can say everything below 10% is quite good. If it goes too high, you immediately realize stutters. So, Microsoft has implemented a GREAT feature in the extendes frame rate display, but almost noone use it for their performance checks.And of course as you realized: when NOT using the external FPS limiter, but using the internal FSX limiter, you see, that sometimes you get LESS FPS displayed than you configured. In example: you choose KJFK and first use "Unlimited" in FSX without external frame limiter. Now start a flight, and look at your displayed FPS. Let's assume that you get 34,1 FPS for the max. value, and about 33,6 FPS average FPS (just an example). Now you limit in FSX with internal limiter to 30 frames. You get now 26,9 for maximum FPS and maybe 25,3 for average. You see, and think, that internal limiter is stealing your FPS. That#s why many simmer want to use the external FPS limiter 0.2b. But ever though of THE REASON and WHY FSX steals FPS when using this internal limiter? I realized of course after lot of week and testing that the internal limiter is a GREAT tool, which gives me also a good performance and nice crisply ground textures. I have no stutters when limiting to 30FPS in FSX, I fly at an average Variance value of maximum 2% and I get crispy textures and NO blurries. The engine works much better with the internal limiter at my side and I really am satisfied.Just wanted to give you my thoughts, because you are the first one who realized that. I would also looking forward to get some more feedback about that.Best regards,Pegasus.
And to elaborate some more . . . I began actively seeking an external frame limiter as I was experiencing 'jumps' or 'surges' (contrasted from 'microstutters') when running in UNLIMITED mode, in which the display would move smoothly, then suddenly and briefly jump forward signficantly. I thought perhaps these were caused by brief periods where the processing demand was suddenly lower, allowing a typically constrained work flow to proceed freely due to availability of processing resources at that moment in time. As you correctly note, the internal limiter kills frames, but UNLIMITED can have some detrimental consequences despite overall better performance. So I preferred to take advantage of that, but was looking to resolve the surges issue as well, guessing that a restictor past the video processing could effectively contain these surges. Regardless of whether the theory was technically correct as an explanation, a nice person posted a response to my query for an external fps limiter, and I was pleased to discover FPS Limiter had the following effects:1. The 'surges' were no more2. I could set the sim at UNLIMITED and take advantage of optimizations that happen there, but limit the display at a fixed rate of around 30 w/ FPS Limiter, so that FRAME RATE improved over the internal limiter, as you correctly point out. As a side note, I do get herky-jerky traffic animations when I set FPS at 30, however if I use the F11 key to dynamically reduce the rate limit in FPS Limiter down to 27 or 26, the animations smooth out very nicely. So it also affords some fine tuning as to syncronizing some things.I believed I was the first to discover the value of this utility and promptly shared this discovery on AVSIM. It is my one contribution to the wonderful simming community.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

As per the other FPS Limiter thread, it seems it's vital to also update 'DirectX' for this little beauty to work correctly. Though I can't understand why.