Sign in to follow this  
Ioan92

Is it possible to fly HKG-JFK?

Gents,I am trying to plan a monstrosity of a flight, being Kai-Tak to New-York. I know that the max MTOW range a 747-400 has is 7260nm and this is where the dilema comes in. (I wouldn't have to worry about this if the 8i expansion had at least the extended range).- I have tried to generate many routes based off of Cathay Pacific crossings but I get distances in the 7261nm and oh boy that means gliding on finals, so no go.Now I went for the shortest route possible, the great circle. What worries me is that the great circle is not used in this way for an eastward pacific crossing, but the jet stream route.Anyways the great circle route is only 7014nm long and gives breathing room for go-arounds.Weight will be a bit below MTOW and all fuel tanks will be full.Basically am I going to make it? :))

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

At MTOW, no.To save you the trouble, I gave you something that should work by my calculations. Hypothetically, it should work if you have at least reasonable RW winds.PASRO A590 PINTT A590 HAMND AMOTT J511 ANC ELLAM NCA20 LETOV NCA20 TAKSI NCA20 YRL NCA21 YYZ J522 KLOPS J522 ROCPayload: 100,000 lbsDistance: 7495 nmAir miles: 7356 nmFuel on board: 378,800 lbsFMC reserves: 44,250 lbs

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

At MTOW, no.To save you the trouble, I gave you something that should work by my calculations. Hypothetically, it should work if you have at least reasonable RW winds.PASRO A590 PINTT A590 HAMND AMOTT J511 ANC ELLAM NCA20 LETOV NCA20 TAKSI NCA20 YRL NCA21 YYZ J522 KLOPS J522 ROCPayload: 100,000 lbsDistance: 7495 nmAir miles: 7356 nmFuel on board: 378,800 lbsFMC reserves: 44,250 lbs
I based my thoughts upon the MTOW MAX RANGE being 7260nm and the great circle being 7000nm according to great circle mapper and 6000nm according to google earth.What am I missing here?Couldn't I make it near MTOW on the great circle?

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Hello.I plan my flights by looking into a bunch of different areas, to ensure that the flight that I am making actually happens in the real world. Listed are a couple of websites that I go to for research, and I'll explain my process.Here's what I have looked into for this situation.First and foremost I start here http://flightaware.com/ go to "live tracking" then select "browse by operator". You can scroll down the list, for Cathay, or in the search box type in "CPA" Now mind you these are "live" flights but as you can see the VHHH to KJFK route is flown by the 777.Next I will check out www.wikipedia.org , I know that wikipedia isnt 100% useful for all situations, but if you type in "Cathay Pacific Airlines" and scroll down to their destinations, you can see that they do fly from VHHH to KJFK, but it doesn't list any aircraft used.I follow this by going to the actual airlines website http://www.cathaypac...n_INTL/homepage and book a flight (Please note: this is only for PASSENGER flights, to see if they actually fly there) they do, but not with the 747-400.Go to www.airliners.net/ and at the top select photos (next to home) and then the first option of photo search engine. select the 747-400 for the aircraft Cathay Pacific Airlines for the airline, and the John F Kennedy airport in the country/airport section, and hit "show me the photos", This is usually the last step that I take to verify that a particular plane by a particular carrier has in fact ever been at the airport I want to land at. By doing this I found that the 744 has been there, but in reading the descriptions, it seems that they arrive there via a stop over from other airports, and this is most likley from PANC ( Anchorage Alaska) In conclusion, No..........They are not going to go from Hong Kong, to NY with the Boeing 747-400F. They are going to use the 777. You can fly from VHHH to PANC, for a refueling, then from PANC to KJFK. FSX has limitations and I have never tried a refueling at my destination, and then opening of a new IFR flight plan, But I am going to try today Nail%20Biting.gifYou can use these sites for any plane model, operator, flight or whatever, I HIGHLY recommend you book marking flightaware.com as it is one of the most uesful sites that I use.

Hello.I plan my flights by looking into a bunch of different areas, to ensure that the flight that I am making actually happens in the real world. Listed are a couple of websites that I go to for research, and I'll explain my process.Here's what I have looked into for this situation.First and foremost I start here http://flightaware.com/ go to "live tracking" then select "browse by operator". You can scroll down the list, for Cathay, or in the search box type in "CPA" Now mind you these are "live" flights but as you can see the VHHH to KJFK route is flown by the 777.Next I will check out www.wikipedia.org , I know that wikipedia isnt 100% useful for all situations, but if you type in "Cathay Pacific Airlines" and scroll down to their destinations, you can see that they do fly from VHHH to KJFK, but it doesn't list any aircraft used.I follow this by going to the actual airlines website http://www.cathaypac...n_INTL/homepage and book a flight (Please note: this is only for PASSENGER flights, to see if they actually fly there) they do, but not with the 747-400.Go to www.airliners.net and at the top select photos (next to home) and then the first option of photo search engine. select the 747-400 for the aircraft Cathay Pacific Airlines for the airline, and the John F Kennedy airport in the country/airport section, and hit "show me the photos", This is usually the last step that I take to verify that a particular plane by a particular carrier has in fact ever been at the airport I want to land at. By doing this I found that the 744 has been there, but in reading the descriptions, it seems that they arrive there via a stop over from other airports, and this is most likley from PANC ( Anchorage Alaska) In conclusion, No..........They are not going to go from Hong Kong, to NY with the Boeing 747-400F. They are going to use the 777. You can fly from VHHH to PANC, for a refueling, then from PANC to KJFK. FSX has limitations and I have never tried a refueling at my destination, and then opening of a new IFR flight plan, But I am going to try today Nail%20Biting.gifYou can use these sites for any plane model, operator, flight or whatever, I HIGHLY recommend you book marking flightaware.com as it is one of the most uesful sites that I use.
It is actually in my high value bookmark toolbar :DI think I forgot to include some info, this flight is not Cathay, it's a fictional Lufthansa long way round prestige series of flights. Goes as LH 1, 2, 3 and 4 for the eastbound way and 5, 6, 7 and 8 for the westbound. Being essentially FRA-HKG-LAX-JFK-FRA.But I wanted to shorten it to avoid LA and use the 7000 nm long great circle I.E. D-GPS route to reach New York with 200 nm left of fuel. I got the MTOW MAX RANGE from the Boeing site so that's why I'm so confused.Technically it's no if I fly any standard way point filled route rather than the shortest route being the straight great circle over the north pole.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Try it out, Worst case, you start running out of fuel , divert to the nearest airport, refuel and continue.....but that's just me.

My head tells me to play it safe and do the LAX leg. :ph34r:Actually I'll avoid JFK instead since LH does operate LAX-FRA and that way I'll keep the number of flights to 3.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

I based my thoughts upon the MTOW MAX RANGE being 7260nm and the great circle being 7000nm according to great circle mapper and 6000nm according to google earth.What am I missing here?Couldn't I make it near MTOW on the great circle?
Then you have solved it yourself. The maximum range at full payload, then fuel [Boeing, page 3] is 5700nm. But when fully fueled and then passengers are loaded to MTOW, range increases to 7100nm. From there you can drop payload to get a maximim usable range of a little over 8000.Because HKG-JFK is approxamatly 7300 nautical air miles distance, you can fly with a maximum of ~460,000 lbs of Fuel+Payload. Hence, 100,000 lbs of payload and 380,000 lbs of fuel. You do not fly great circle because you fly with the jetstream, as you said above as well. Flying great circle, while decreasing nautical ground miles, would increase traveled air miles, which is the real deciding range.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

There is a flight from IAD (Washington Dulles) to NRT (Narita Japan), but it's a 777. I believe in the past it's been a 747, but I'm not going to say that with certainty. Based on great circle, IAD to NRT and JFK to NRT wouldn't be too different. HKG isn't too much farther, great circle, but again, I haven't checked. Cathay Pacific flies the JFK-HKG route with a 777-300ER.Fuel/Weight trade discussion here:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/321238-stall/page__p__1893312#entry1893312You ability to fly longer routes depends entirely on the weather and weight you're attempting to carry. In most cases, you plan for fuel based on weather and then calculate how much weight you can carry from there.

Kyle Rodgers

There is a flight from IAD (Washington Dulles) to NRT (Narita Japan), but it's a 777. I believe in the past it's been a 747, but I'm not going to say that with certainty. Based on great circle, IAD to NRT and JFK to NRT wouldn't be too different. HKG isn't too much farther, great circle, but again, I haven't checked. Cathay Pacific flies the JFK-HKG route with a 777-300ER.Fuel/Weight trade discussion here:http://forum.avsim.n...12#entry1893312You ability to fly longer routes depends entirely on the weather and weight you're attempting to carry. In most cases, you plan for fuel based on weather and then calculate how much weight you can carry from there.
Yes ANA used to fly there with the 747 from narita so that answers everything