Sign in to follow this  
Mijjer

C:\FSX\fsx.exe is not a valid Win32 application

Hi all,I have a big prob which has suddenly developed.Every time I try to open any prog on my desktop I am getting the message...'C:\****\***.exe is not a valid Win32 application'.Also most of the desktop icons are not displaying properly.This occured while I was trying it install the 'Fps Limiter'.I have a high spec computer, Win64 i7 2600k, 8 gb ramWhy is the computer looking for Win32 applications when I am running Win64bit? any thoughts?Many thanksJim Tierney

Because most if not all programs are 32 bit and it doesn't matter that you are using Win 64.Google shows that most of these problems are caused by a virus.

Hi Jim,Thank you for taking the time in replying to my prob.I will try a virus scan and see what turns up.i will let you know the outcome.Thank youJim

Hi again Jim,I ran a 'Norton' complete virus scan and it didn't find or fix anything which solves the prob.I am currently searching for a fix, my comp and the 'Ngx' were running beautifully before this occured.Wondering how this fault , if it is a virus, got past the 'Norton' protection.Looks like being a long day trying to sort this out, oh well s**t happens.Again thanks for taking time to reply, if you or anyone else reading this has any further suggestionsin solving this I would be grateful for (your) their input.Jim

Guest firehawk44
if you or anyone else reading this has any further suggestionsin solving this I would be grateful for (your) their input.
Here's a link to all the possibilities - http://www.ehow.com/info_7754181_not-valid-win32-application-mean.html. In your subject, it shows that fsx is located in C:FSX. But in your signature, you indicate the MD11 is in C:ProgramFilesMicrosoftGamesMicrosoftFlightSimulatorX. I think your registry is confused. This is a prime example as to why people should be installing FSX in the default directory instead of somewhere else on your harddrive. You have to keep remembering to change the default location to the location where you put it whenever installing new programs or else things get confusing. Disabling UAC will allow you to run FSX in the default folder without any problem whatsoever.Lastly, have you tried uninstalling FPS Limiter? You indicated the problem started after installing this program. Does the problem continue?Best regards,Jim

DO NOT install in default program location. Jim you tell everone to install in default. Most if all developers will tell you to not install in proram files location. I never have and never will and never have a problem with UAC or Windows defender installing away from program files. Sure, you can disable UAC but what the heck good does that do. Save the step and install away from program files and remove the risk completely.! You can disable Windows defender all you want it still is there and monitoring. As long as you tell the program were to install in the first place there will be no issues with registry.

Edited by Barnstormer1

Guest firehawk44
Jim you tell everone to install in default. Most if all developers will tell you to not install in proram files location.
And I will continue to tell them. I appreciate your views and those of "other developers". I have absolutely no problems whatsoever in the default location. Can you explain to me why thousands like me have no problems with FSX being installed in the default location? I am very familiar with computers and how they operate but there are a lot of people who are novices and I believe they will run into problems making sure an addon they are installing is being installed in the right location. I do know that once FSX is installed in a directory other than the default, it will be shown in the registry and most addon programs will automatically find the location but some will not. Take UTX for example. They require a default installation of FSX (you can fix it if you are familiar with computer directories and files)(read their forum). Go into the CTD Forum and you'll see a lot of people having issues with their computers and you'll probably see too that they installed FSX on another hard drive or in a directory other than the default. You can go ahead and advise people to install in another directory. I will continue to advise people to keep the installation in the default directory unless they are computer experts.
I never have and never will and never have a problem with UAC or Windows defender installing away from program files.
Not sure what you are saying here but assume you are having no problems with UAC/Windows Defender if you install FSX somewhere else other than the default. I just disable UAC (how simple is that!). I have never touched Windows Defender. It continues to operate in the background but I really don't need it as I use a program called Advanced SystemCare5 which I use to screen and look for malware occasionally. I do not use an anti-virus program as I found the Internet Firewall is more than sufficient. I also make sure I have all the Microsoft Visuals from 2005 to 2010 installed as they are used by developers to properly install a program and manage the program once installed. I do the same for Microsoft.net but realize dotnet is now part of the Windows 7 installation so individuals only need to keep it up-to-date. This program is used by developers too for manage runtime functions. Perhaps the fact the OP installed FSX in another directory other than the default was not the problem for his error. Most likely not but I just wanted to point out to him there could be a problem with his installation because his subject states FSX is located in one place and his signature states it could possibly be installed somewhere else. Thanks for your input.Best regards,Jim

Jim, disabling UAC entirely sort of defeats the main purpose of UAC, which is to prevent any rogue program (aka: virus, malware, etc.) from silently installing itself into your now unprotected system.Any program such as FS9 or FSX that requires frequent access to configuration files within the program's folder space really should be somewhere other than the heavily protected ..Program Files folder(s), at least in my NSHO... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

+1, and perfectly correct, Fr. Bill. Sorry, Jim.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest firehawk44
frequent access to configuration files within the program's folder space really should be somewhere other than the heavily protected
+1, and perfectly correct, Fr. Bill. Sorry, Jim.
DO NOT install in default program location. Jim you tell everone to install in default.
check pmdg site they also don not install fsx in program
I give up! You all are much more computer literate than I am but I was just saying I have NEVER had a problem with FSX located in the default installation folders. Everyday I visit the CTD Forum here at AVSIM and see CTD's left and right and where do these people have FSX installed? On another drive other than the default location. Best regards,Jim

Hahahaha! The world would be a sorry place if we were all the same Jim! Don't sweat it. You do fantastic work on this forum - helping with all kinds of issues here - and many other sites too.I'll throw this one out just to take some of "the pressure" off your shoulders ..... and it's to do with overclocking.. probably worth a hundred flames or so.It goes like this:Why would anyone recommend that one go to the trouble of installing FSX, SP 1 & 2, a bunch of scenery and addons, then tweak and configure, following all of the (good and bad) recommendations here (and there) until it's "stable" and "reliable" - and then follow someone's suggestion that "now is the time to overclock it", or "don't overclock it until you've got it running right"......Well - the time to overclock a pc is before one adds the application. You don't want to be getting crashes after you've just got FSX running "perfectly", "smooth as silk", etc.. Do you? You don't want to be flying the sim while overclocking the darned thing! A BSoD can cause such damage to that FSX: and yet this is almost a 'doctrine' that's preached here - on other sites, too.Get the proc up to 4.XX: get the memory stable at 1.XX volts and 8-8-8-24, reliably: get the temperature under control. Keep it up there, loading and benchmarking and monitoring - get it 'till it does not bluescreen... get it so that it will handle Prime95 continuously, while you run everything else on the pc for a week. Photoshop, World of Warcraft, BF3, MW3, PlanG, Outlook, MS Flight ( :( ).. Make it work.Then - when you are satisfied you have got it as fast and reliably as it will go - then install the sim. Now you have most of your work done.This approach is much better than working for a month or more - struggling to get a smooth, stutter-free FSX configured on a 3.4 gig proc that will never give you what FSX can give, and then have it start crashing on you.. This happens time and time again - and each time the installation becomes progressively corrupt. How many .dll errors do we see here?.. Almost every pc, nowadays can be overclocked, and done fairly safely. There are many "How-to" guides on the weeeb - and with the modern procs - it's just a matter of following the manual that comes with the board.This is by far the safest and best methodology to use in building a new Flight Sim. It works.Thar ya go, Jimmy. 2 cents! :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Just a small addendum re Windows Defender. Many months ago Microsoft Security Essentials was released, and it now replaces Defender. It disables Defender during the installation and uninstalls it on XP.http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5201http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/windows-defender-and-microsoft-security-essentials/5309cb8d-02e1-40e8-974f-0dcedb9ab9fd

Guest firehawk44
Thar ya go, Jimmy. 2 cents!
Very good advice Paul. FWIW, I totally agree with you. Now back to my blackboard where I'm writing "I will never suggest individuals install FSX in the default location ever again" "I will never suggest individuals install FSX in the default location ever again"... :LMAO:Best regards,Jim

All I ask, Jim, is that you don't take it to heart: I will bet, that for every installation outside of Program Files, there are fifty that are within that folder, and they have no problems. I think that many folks do load, unload, install, and so on - for a number of years, and the registry itself becomes bloated and somewhat corrupt: too - the whole filesystem changes, as new folders are added, new drives are added, and folders moved, soft and hard links broken and new ones made - or not made. Throw in a few crashes, freezes, bsod's and here and there - there is an an enormous potential for a very unstable and unpredictable operating system. We (you and I (and a bunch of other guys), are basically "power users", and we can handle this stuff, but when a new simmer, with a new pc, and a new os - and is new to fsx tries to stumble through a problem, the outcome is usually a much more serious mess because he/she is not aware of so many 'gotchas'. Microsoft didn't do us any favors by partially locking down the system.