Sign in to follow this  
foxfan911

747-400 and FSX Steam edition?

Hey guys, I'm new here but I have repeatedly read in different places how the 747-400 will work with the FSX- Steam edition.  In fact, several posts have stated that it "works great" and that "installation was easy."  So I bought it.  When I went to install it, it basically told me that I needed to update my FSX version and it would not let me proceed any further.  It would not go to the authorization code entry and it would not let me "point" the installer to my FSX Steam aircraft folder.  

As I said, I have seen numerous posts about people successfully installing the 747 on FSX Steam edition.  And the latest I'm seeing AVSIM discussion for the 747 Steam edition was from January.  Well it's now basically June, so how do I get my 747-400 installed onto FSX Steam?  

Thanks you.  

When I went to install it, it basically told me that I needed to update my FSX version and it would not let me proceed any further.

The message about updating your FSX is badly worded and something that catches a lot of people out on first installation (me included). It's nothing to do with FSX-SE. What it actually says is if you haven't got SP1 you need to update FSX first before installing the 747. It doesn't check what version of FSX you actually have so read the message carefully and make sure you respond as if you have the update (as FSX-SE certainly includes it) and installation will proceed OK.

I can assure you the 747 runs perfectly well under Steam, at least it does with a single installation such as I use. I don't know how the installer copes with a dual FSX/FSX-SE installlation. As long as you are able to direct the installer to the correct FSX location you should be good to go.

BTW, if you want to avoid the risk of mods deleting your posts on this forum, you need to sign all posts with your full name.

ki9cAAb.jpg

As I said, I have seen numerous posts about people successfully installing the 747 on FSX Steam edition.  And the latest I'm seeing AVSIM discussion for the 747 Steam edition was from January.  Well it's now basically June, so how do I get my 747-400 installed onto FSX Steam?  

The existing 744 is not specifically Steam compatible (we didn't make a Steam-specific installer). The product page does not specifically mention that it is Steam compatible (like the 737 and 777 do). Users reporting that the 744 does or does not work is only incidental to the fact that the two programs are so similar.

Since the new version of the 744 is coming down the line, we decided against revisiting the old version that's currently available in favor of just making the new version compatible with both.

Kyle Rodgers

The only thing that doesn't work in FSX-SE I've noticed is the Load Manager sending data direct to FSX. It shows FSX as connected but the Send To FSX icon doesn't appear. Same with the MD-11. Still, this is a very minor limitation and perfectly understandable given that it's not supported as Kyle said above.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Well I was going to add a picture, but whenever I try to install it, a box pops up and it says:

"FSX Version 10.0.61355.0 (SP1 at least) required.  You only have FSX Version 10.0.60905.0 installed.  Please install FSX SP1 or later to use this product."

The only button it gives me an "OK" button.  So the only thing I can press is OK, then it terminates won't go any further.

How do I get around or fix this?  How did you guys get the 747 to work in FSX Steam edition?

I had previously installed it under FSX so had a licence in place already. That might mean the installer bypasses that check.

Have you installed all three legacy versions of simconnect that come with FSX-SE? It may not make a difference but it's worth trying.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Hmmm....that's interesting.  I may try to reinstall the disk version of FSX and then install the 747 on it.  Then perhaps it will let me get past that part and then maybe get me to the part where I can point the installer to the steam version.

Oh, and I honestly don't even know what simconnect is.

Hopefully that might work. I can't think why else it wasn't a problem for me.

You could also try uninstalling version 10.0.60905 of FSX simconnect (using control panel, programs and features). Then install the 747.

Simconnect is how FSX communicates with addon modules, etc and there are different versions of it for each FSX version. That might be what the installer picked up since FSX-SE is currently version 10.0.62613.0, not 10.0.60905.0. FSX-SE comes with installers for all three versions of simconnect so you can install them if an older addon needs them. 10.0.60905.0 is the version number of the original FSX simconnect. It's a bit of a coincidence that the installer found that version number, not the later one.

ki9cAAb.jpg

You will find them in FSX/SDK/Core Utilities Kit/SimConnect SDK/LegacyInterfaces

There's a folder for each version (RTM, SP1, SP2/Acceleration). Double click the msi file to install.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I installed the 747x and 747 LCF fairly easilly but when i go to run the addon i get an error message saying PMDG_747400_***.DLL cannot find PMDGOptions.dll. the *** is that multible error messages are showing up. ***main.dll, acs.dll, overhead.dll, After getting the 3 errors fsx-se stops responding, or just exits out. Is there a fix for this issue?

I would also like to put in a request of the PMDG Family to create a FSX-SE installer and support for the older products. I love flying the 744. and want to get all the PMDG products as the bank account allows.

I installed the 747x and 747 LCF fairly easilly but when i go to run the addon i get an error message saying PMDG_747400_***.DLL cannot find PMDGOptions.dll. the *** is that multible error messages are showing up. ***main.dll, acs.dll, overhead.dll, After getting the 3 errors fsx-se stops responding, or just exits out. Is there a fix for this issue?

I would also like to put in a request of the PMDG Family to create a FSX-SE installer and support for the older products. I love flying the 744. and want to get all the PMDG products as the bank account allows.

As for your DLL problem they presumably can't be found when you load the addon into FSX. A lot depends on how you installed the 747, which you didn't describe. In my experience the 747 will work in FSX-SE if you have installed that as a single installation with no FSX references remaining in the registry. Then the 747 installer will find (or can be pointed at) FSX-Se, install itself in the correct location and everything links together correctly.

Expecting PMDG to support 744v1 in FSX-SE is a bit unreasonable for the reasons Kyle mentioned. If it happens to work in FSX-SE then that's fine, but it's not officially supported.

ki9cAAb.jpg

After I  uninstalled FSX and cleared all files, I  did no have any single problem to install 747 into FSX:SE . It works perfect.  FSX plane installer will always looks for FSX file. If you don't have FSX SIM in your PC, then Installer will find FSX  file in FSX:SE . assuming this is FSX sim.,

If you have  both FSX and FSX SE in your PC, that is were  problem will start.

That is  how I solved my problem :smile:

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

You need to transfer the 3 PMDG dlls statements in the xxx\appdata\roaming\microsoft\FSX\dll.xml file to the

xxx\appdata\roaming\microsoft\FSX-SE\dll.xml file if you have a side by side FSXSE install.

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Folks,

Just a quick questions. I want to buy the 747-400 BUT the computer I am using right now has FSX-Steam and Windows 8.1. I know the 747 can run in the steam edition if there is no other FSX installation but has anyone had any luck running it on 8.1?

Cheers

Edit: Just wanted to find out before I dropped the 50 bucks and it find out that it wouldn't work.