SSD drives are finally reaching at least semi sensible prices, but I find the massive variation of prices for similar kit, very confusing. I'm after a 240Gb SSD, and the prices range from about £60 up to about £130 !!!!  The specs appear identical, only the brands being different.

Am I likely to regret buying a cheap or 'unbranded' drive?

Am I likely to regret buying a cheap or 'unbranded' drive?

It depends - does losing all of your data bother you?

Cheers!

Luke

PS: I regretted my OCZ.

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Storage technology is changing rapidly at the moment, therefore it can be very confusing.

We have 2.5 inch SATA SSD's, M.2 SATA, M.2 PCIe, ultra fast Intel 750 U.2, Intel 750 as a PCIe card.......

If I were purchasing a basic 2.5 inch form factor SATA SSD, I'd sway toward the tried and trusted products. Samsung 840 Evo and Pro etc.  If it's a main OS drive, rather than less important extra storage, it would seem a false economy to me to opt for a cheap drive. In my experience products are cheap for a reason.

As Luke rightly said, if it's data that won't constitute a disaster if it's lost, then maybe cheap is a viable proposition.

Storage technology is changing rapidly at the moment, therefore it can be very confusing.

We have 2.5 inch SATA SSD's, M.2 SATA, M.2 PCIe, ultra fast Intel 750 U.2, Intel 750 as a PCIe card.......

If I were purchasing a basic 2.5 inch form factor SATA SSD, I'd sway toward the tried and trusted products. Samsung 840 Evo and Pro etc.  If it's a main OS drive, rather than less important extra storage, it would seem a false economy to me to opt for a cheap drive. In my experience products are cheap for a reason.

As Luke rightly said, if it's data that won't constitute a disaster if it's lost, then maybe cheap is a viable proposition.

Thanks Martin

That's really what I was trying to find out.... Do we just pay for brand names, or is the quality really different?  Seems the latter is true

Thats just my opinion to be honest, nothing definitive. There may well be cheaper drives out there that are reliable. It's just that for me, I wouldn't take the risk. I always favour quality which usually costs.

Not having first hand experience of all the drives out there I can only state my feeling.

Although SSDs are faster then HDs speeds and quality of chips within do vary and

may account for the varied prices.  As Martin says, go for the trusted brands.

Nige

Crucial has been reliable for me. These current SSDs I've had since 2011. Rock solid stable.

They use Micron NAND chips as opposed to the SandForce ones in OCZ.

They use Micron NAND chips as opposed to the SandForce ones in OCZ.

OCZ used SandForce controllers, not NAND. That was the problem.

I replaced the OCZ Vertex 2 with a pair of Crucial M4s - they weren't bad except for the BIOS power on hours bug, which was fixed with an upgrade.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.