Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

A question on crash detection in P3Dv2.5

Does anyone know how exactly the crash detection in P3Dv2.5 works?

Reading the description of the available options (Ignore crashes and damage & Detect crashes and damage) it says it will either detect or ignore a collision between your aircraft and other objects. What I would like to know is if the ground (in most normal cases a runway) is considered as 'other objects'?

Reason for my question is I'm considering to choose the Ignore crashes and damage to avoid "false" crashes caused by bad designed scenery but at the same time I don't want to take away the possibility of a "true" crash caused by myself making a too hard landing for example. I do all my flying in the NGX if this question in some way is aircraft specific.

Of course I could test this but thought I would ask if someone already knows first.

Richard Åsberg

Hello Richard.  Any false crash's i have had in 2.5,  was due to not downloading and updating the Crash Box's from the Orbtx Support page.   Once i did this i had no more problems.  Oh and Mesh setting to 5 always.     What scenery are you using 

Never heard of Orbx Crash Box's you mention and just checked the Orbx support download page but couldn't find anything about it?

If it's the Mesh resolution you're talking about I have mine set to 1m but you say to always keep that to 5m. What's behind that? I would rather keep it at 1m since that will give me higher resolution mesh won't it?

I very seldom see "false" crashes myself but right now I'm beta-testing a scenery where not everything is 100% finished yet meaning I get some weird crashes.

Of course I could pick the Ignore crashes option just for now while beta-testing but would still be interested in knowing if this will also mean I won't be able to experience "true" crashes while performing a bad landing for example.

Richard Åsberg

If CD is off, it will depend on the aircraft. For example, with CD off, if you land an A2A aircraft with Accusim too hard, you'll break a strut. Some a/c will show some funny visuals when you "crash" but the main thing is that the sim will not restart.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I'm not completely sure, but my impression is that scenery crashes are caused by intersection of the aircraft's crash boxes with those of scenery objects, while ground crashes are caused by having the aircraft's scrape points contacting the ground.

You might ask Arno at fsdeveloper if ModelConverterX could disable an aircraft's crash boxes. That might allow for leaving the scrape points intact, so you can still crash on the ground, but not by contacting scenery crash boxes.

Barry Friedman

Thanks for your feedback guys, will do some testing of my own to find out how the NGX behaves with and without crash detection enabled.

Richard Åsberg

With my first UK airport i found all my buildings and scenery about 20 foot in the air, i changed the Mesh to five and it levelled everything off.  

The problem your having with False Crashes is probably different to my one,  but i was having issues with these 3 airports,  i was advised to update the airports and my problem went away.

23058352590_cffd34948e_o.png

23245779732_349459eeb2_o.png

22986206249_bb9b53dc13_o.png

• Upvote 1

lol Yes,  it was only a little update needed but it drove me nuts for days, i ended up turning off Crash detection but that took away from the immersion and risk of it.  All sorted now though.