Sign in to follow this  
captain420

F1 GTN 750/650 - SID/STARS, ILS approaches

Can I use these units to fly SID/STARS and do ILS approaches? And also does it automatically calculate altitudes for each waypoint like in a 777?

I want to use this in a Cessna 182.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Can I use these units to fly SID/STARS and do ILS approaches? 

Yes, it does SIDs and STARs, and it can add ILS approaches to the GPS plan, but you must fly the final approach and glideslope using the radios w/ LOC mode active on the GPS. The GTN unit does have some features that help though, such as PDF charts for the US and chart overlay options in the display, and it also automatically places the ILS frequency in the NAV1 standby slot, so you don't have to type it/dial it in. Another big feature is inclusion of WAAS approaches with an LPV that you can fly just like ILS (complete with vertical guidance and much lower minimums) but with GPS enabled. The only downside to these WAAS-enhanced GPS approaches is that they are limited to US/Canada.

And also does it automatically calculate altitudes for each waypoint like in a 777?

No, there is no VNAV function on this equipment. It doesn't calculate altitudes, and it doesn't recommend cruising levels. It does, however have a handy VCALC page that will calculate your TOD and ideal descent rate to meet a specific altitude requirement at a single waypoint, like your IAF for instance. Nothing super fancy... still requires careful attention for altitude, airspeed, and throttle, but it works well and leads to a very predictable descent.

Hope that helps.  

Can I use these units to fly SID/STARS and do ILS approaches? And also does it automatically calculate altitudes for each waypoint like in a 777?

I want to use this in a Cessna 182.

Aircraft like 182 rarely if ever have opportunity (in real life) to fly SIDS/STARS. SIDS/STARS at "normal" size airports are primarily designed with turbine equipment in mind and at smaller airports you very often don't have any SIDS or STARS. To get the best utility of aircraft like 182 you usually fly to smaller airports (a lot cheaper and closer to your destination) where most often there aren't any SIDS/STARS, even though there could be ILS and other approaches.

I am not well versed in capabilities of the GTN 750/650 but there are Cessnas 182 equipped with G1000 which is capable of handling VNV stuff (and calculate altitudes). But VNV in G1000 is slightly different from VNAV in big transport jets.

I don't know about the rest of the world but in the US terminology 'SID' is no longer used, it was replaced with DP - Departure Procedure.

However what you may find yourself doing while operating 182 in/out of smaller airports is to fly so called ODP - Obstacle Departure Procedures. They are designed to guide you out of the airport where terrain could be challenging. In other words their sole role is to keep you away from terrain obstacles.

Thanks Michael for the explanation. So SID is now called DP, and STAR is still the same?

I'm still learning and there's so much to grasp. But I'm slowly starting to understand.

So for GA aviation, for example if I want to fly in the Cessna 182 with a GTN 750 unit. I would just usually normally make a flight plan on the unit itself, either graphically plotting the points or entering in my waypoints and just have the unit fly the route. Simple, right?

But since the GTN unit doesn't use AIRAC cycles like the tubeliners and also with flight planning software like PFPX, PRO-ATC/X, EFB, etc. I can't really use the unit with those software correct? That means I have to rely solely on the GTN 750 to do my flight planning.

I was hoping I can use PRO-ATC/X software when flying with my 182/GTN750 combo. But the 2 are using different NAV data, and it wont match up. Perhaps if I fly the Cessna using the default GNS, then it might work because it uses P3D/FSX's native flight plan file format.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Sorry, I really can't answer your questions pertaining to the simulation products.