Sign in to follow this  
ndflieger

atc.dll error crash

Hi all,I posted about this awhile back, when FS9 (WinXP, FSUIPC V3.81 Registered) crashed on me and the error was due to an atc.dll error during a flight from KDEN - KJMS. I got a very fast response stating that this was due to something beyond Radar Contact's control (a frequency glitch). Later I flew the same route again and was able to avoid the error by requesting an approach before being handed over from MSP center (don't remember the freq) to MSP center 124.20, which is the local center freq for KJMS.Just now, I was on a long flight (for me) in a Viscount 810 KORD - KLIT, after close to 2.5 hrs of flight (non-accelerated) I was handed off from center to approach...and the same error happened, so my flight was wasted for all intents and purposes.Now I hate to sound like I'm ticked off, but I am in the extreme. So, let me get this straight: according to your reply to my original post, the chances of getting the atc.dll error crash/msg is basically a crap shoot and there is no fix for it? If that is so, I will be forced to fly without Radar Contact/ATC, and that is a shame. You have a great product (for the most part) and wonderful support. However, my simming time is limited so I can't be taking the chance of encountering this error at random, therefore I guess I will have to fly with Radar Contact/ATC. I see by doing a search of the forum that others have encountered the same problem for quite some time.Regards,ScottKJMS (or thereabouts)

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

You might get this error with FS or other ATC as well if it uses the same frequencies.Make sure you are using the current FSUIPC (3.82) as indicated in the top of the forum. There is some but not complete protection in it.In the RC airport screens preflight, check the assigned ATIS frequencies and insure that they do not duplicate other com frequencies at departure or destination. You can modify them there and save the airport configuration. I believe the problem had to do with ATIS at departure being the same as the approach at destination but can not recall.As I recall with version 4 you can not request an IAP until contacted by approach with your initial runway assignment so I do not understand your comment about requesting an IAP before leaving center.

Hi Ron,Thanks for the reply. I'll give v3.82 of FSUIPC a try along with your suggestion of checking the ATIS freq's for duplication with others.Regarding my comment about the flight into KJMS. KJMS is a non-towered airport and does not have it's own approach facility, so that is handled by MSP center. The center freq for the area around the immediate (low-level) KJMS area is 124.2. During the flight I mentioned from KDEN, before I was handed off to 124.2, I requested from the controller the approach I wanted...and I didn't have the atc.dll crash since I was never handed off to 124.2 (center had me stay on the current freq for some reason). During the previous evening flying the same route, I had had that crash after being told to contact 124.2.ScottKJMS (or thereabouts)

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Ron,I just loaded the flight in RC and checked the freq's as you suggested. There were no duplicates at all...so that wasn't the problem. As I said, the times it has happened to me is when I am handed off from Center to Approach (or to the Center sector that functions for approach for a non-towered airport).Since this is the 2nd time it has happened now on a relatively long fight (again, long by my standards LOL), I'll be foregoing RC for awhile.Regards,ScottKJMS (or thereabouts)

Scott Cebula

Ron,Yes, I have been using 9.1 since the update came out.ScottKJMS (or thereabouts)

Scott Cebula

Yea, I'm in the same boat. I do get CTDs with two different errors, it's either atc.dll or ntdl.dll. I recently nuked my drive and reinstalled everything from scratch. I still get the in flight CTDs occasionally now but not as much as before the format. I'm getting them all over the place, not just in one specific geographical location, I just got one last weekend in route to Europe from KORD, mid flight over atlantic. I'll install the newest version of FSUIPC tonight and take a flight to Frankfurt from ORD and try to log it in, in case it happens I'll send the log to John so he can see if it's caused by RC.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

All:Please read page 11 lower section in the FSUIPC User Guide (.pdf) that comes with the current download of FSUIPC (3.82). It regards the atc.dll crashing when using third party ATC packages when the FS ATC window is supressed. You will find an instruction to edit FSUIPC.ini and enter a statement in the appropriate section. As always, back-up the FSUIPC.ini with a safe copy that must not be in the modules folder.For earlier versions do a search on atc.dll in the user guide.ntd.dll errors are more generic to the XP reporting system. Sometimes these can be caused by scenery errors on occasion on a seasonal basis.

Scott,I cannot help you. But to avoid not using RCV4 you could use the automated back up (let's say on a frequency of every 10 or 15 minutes). This way when you crash you can restart at the last check point and then requesting an approach.FSUIPC 4 has the automated checkpoint. I don't know about FSUIPC 3 but you could then use the AutoSave 1.501 package from Peter Dawson.

Roger

See my specs in my profile

I've followed FSUIPC's instructions and so far so good. Had a few long haul flights and no CTDs. Thanks for your help.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I followed the instructions regarding the atc.dll issue in the instructions PDF file that came with v3.82 of FSUIPC, and have since flown a few flights without any problems. Hopefully that will be the end of the matter.Thanks to Ron and the others who responded. As it has always been, Radar Contact support is second to none!ScottKJMS (or thereabouts)

Scott Cebula