Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest shaunm

Auto problems

Guest shaunm

Hi I am just commng back to RC and i'm not sure if i am doing some thing wrong. I set up my flight and every thing works ok i think. Just on final approach i get the message saying it's your plane, i am lined up for approach with all nav/comms tuned in which was done by the RC auto pilot intructed to decend to 3000 feet, expecting to pick up on the ILS but it doesn't. The plane stays at 3000 ft and overflys the runway. My question is should autopiloy stay connected and touch the plane down or is it normal that he hands it back to me. I am using the default aircraft. Any hel will be appreciated. Thanks Shaun

depends on the airport, the ils, etc. some ils don't have glideslopes for the autopilot to capture.also if the glideslope is below you, you have to descend to capture it.if the glideslope is above you, stay level until you capture itjd

Guest shaunm

Hi JD Thanks for coming back. I set myself up another flight here in the UK, from Bristol up to Glasgow using the overland 737. I always compile my routes using FS Build and obtain my airport information from FS Nav. I allowed auto to take the plane to Glasgow and being asked to take up a final heading and to remain at 3000 ft until established on the ILS. At this point I took control of the plane, according to FS Nav the glide slope must be captured at 1600 ft 5 miles from the runway. As I descended to reach that target I had the approach button selected which was illuminated along with the altitude and VS buttons. Having reached 1600 ft I deselected the altitude button which left the app button illuminated. Expecting to pick up the glide slope but what happened was the plane started to ascend shortly after deselecting the altitude button. I am going to try this again, this time from Glasgow to Bristol. Has anyone any tips for me to get this procedure right. Thanks for reading Cheers Shaun

I use the PMDG 737NG series. I think you may need to keep the altitude button on with APP. It should extinguish when the GS is captured. Your VS button should be extinguished when you are at level flight at altitude hold.I notice the runways 5 and 23 have the same localizer/GS frequency. It is an FS anomaly the by default backcourse transmitters are enabled which would not be the r/w case where localizer frequecies at both ends of a runway are shared. You might have locked on to a ghost of the wrong GS. I FS you only get the correct one when within asboiut two degrees of centerline. This can be ascertained by looking at the localizer identifier on your PFD before you arm APP. You can correct this by using the freeware AFCAD v221 in the libraries here to disable the backcourse on these. After saving the file start FS to reindex your scenery then exit it. In RC rebuild the scenery database.The G/S capture altitudes on the plates are 2400 and 2900 MSL. The GS should come alive at 3000 feet at about thirty degrees from the extended center line. Only 5 and 23 have glide slopes. Flying using the MCP heading control, I start turning toward the inbound course as the needle starts to center and then engage APP after checking the localizer ID. You can see the airport on your ND to judge distance. If your localizer has a DME you can reference your vertical profile to it to judge where at 3,000 feet your G/S capture will occur. You can also tune your other nav radio to an on-airport VOR to get a DME readout switching it to the ILS frequency as required by the 737 for a dual nav lock for a coupled ILS approach.Plates for UK airports are free and registration is no longer required here:http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php.html.You can get the plates for Glasgow here. If you choose at approach time you can request an IAP from RC. A final altitude will be given and you will be left on your own to finish navigating a STAR and enter the IAP. RC will be quiet until you are on final. You can do this if you wish to use your FMC database if arrival matches in part your plan that you sent to RC. You might also be able to load your FSB flightplan into your FMC as well as RC by exporting each format. This keeps your FMC and RC in sync at least until vector time. As you know FSB has a SID/STAR database that will convert to waypoints in your exported plans.

Guest shaunm

Hi Thank you both for your help, much appreciated. Will take on board all you have said. Thanks again Shaun