Sign in to follow this  
BAW277

Videocard update????

I would recommend a ATI 9800 Pro, not sure about the price but with the new Catalyst Drivers my 9500 (nonpro) is just outstanding.CheersHolger

Guest heliosair

Thank you guys!the 9800pro is around 250 GBP or 450 USD!Tha is what i was thinking as well.Thank you again

I'm also considering exchange my graphics card, got a GeForce Ti4800 today and was thinking of a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra but maybe Radeon is a better choice? The reason I was thinking about another GeForce is that I've always used GeForce cards and also read posts where Radeon users had troubled with FS, bad drivers etc...?I'm far from a HW guru...;-) so I would appreciate any good tips!TIA,Richard

Richard Åsberg

Guest sj3

Richard: The current ATI driver set from Omega addresses all of the FS issues with this card. There was a viscous rumor started that said this card, with updated 3.8 drivers, was frying monitors by forcing them to try a refresh rate they couldn't do. This is not true so don't worry about that if you see it on the forums. Also, when you do switch cards, make sure you run Rage3d's DETDestroyer utility to completely erase all remnants of nvidia drivers from your system. I am a very happy user of the ATI 9800Pro 256Mb memory; it performs flawlessly with FS9. Please see the general ms flightsim forum and the hardware forum here for more info. Also, there is a new card out from ATI called the 9800XT. The main difference is that this latest card will dynamically overclock itself and then if temperatures get too high, it will automatically slow itself down.Good luck,Sam Mantel, IIIKEWR

Guest ChefHL

> The reason I was thinking>about another GeForce is that I've always used GeForce cards>and also read posts where Radeon users had troubled with FS,>bad drivers etc...?Currently it seems like ATI is winning almost every benchmark out there. Though GeForce FX5900 Cards are nearly equally fast AFAIK.Concerning the driver issues: ATI just recently released the Catalyst 3.9 Driver Set which is supposed to solve the last remaining issues with Flight Simulator.Hope this helps !

I am running those 3.9 Catalyst drivers with my Radeon 9500 and all the flickering problems are definitely gone. Everything runs flawless as far as i can see.CheersHolger

Guest HepburnUGA

If you are in the US, CompUSA (www.compusa.com I believe) has a PNY GeForce FX5900 128mb on sale for 249.99 - 50.00(mail in rebate) = 199.99. I picked mine up yesterday to upgrade from a Geforce3 64mb. A very nice upgrade at a mid-level card price.Take care!JeffEdit: I just can't seem to spell today!

Guest Floyd312

Just to add my 2-cents. I am running the Radeon 9800pro and I rally like it. The visuals produced by this card are excellent. I was initially becoming irritated by driver issues but the latest drivers (Catalyst 3.9) have been performing flawlessly. I have always been an nVidia fan (and still am) but I'll have to admit that this ATI card looks really good.Don

Hi Sam,Thanks for your input, maybe I'll go for a Radeon card then this time. Have the feeling that you get more performance for your money by going the Radeon way.Thanks,Richard

Richard Åsberg

OK, thanks Patrick - will probably go for a Radeon card this time.//Richard

Richard Åsberg

Yeah, sounds like everyone's happy with their Radeon cards now. Appearently all previous problems with the drivers are solved by the new set of drivers./Richard

Richard Åsberg

No, I'm not in the US but thanks for the tip Jeff!Take care you too!

Richard Åsberg

Hi Don,You say you've always been an nVidia fan and still are despite the fact that you're now using a Radeon card that you're happy with. How come are you still an nVidia fan?

Richard Åsberg

Guest Ross

I have just bought an FX5950 Ultra 256Mb DDR card. I wouldn't touch a "non Ultra" FX card as they are generally slower than the GF4 Ti's. I gave serious consideration to the ATI XT cards but here in the UK you definitely get better value for money with the FX5950 Ultra. (