Sign in to follow this  
Guest Starfix

PMDG737 in Video & screenshots : Questions

Guest Starfix

Greetings all,I've been trying several times to find the best sofware & tuning to make little movies, or to take screenshots with the PMDG737.I did not find so far a good solution.Here's my tests and findings :*ScreenshotsTaking a simple screen with the 'print screen' key stroke is easy and it works. Nevertheless, i tried other software to avoid to return to windows by alt-tab and save the clipboard picture.I tried :-Scrshotmanager (from Berlin)-Fraps-HyperSnap-DX4Scrshotmanager and Fraps give good results BUT, cockpit views are either blurred, or with colors totally messed up. Some are even like in 'negative' color display. I could not find out why. All external views are OK at 70%, 30% messed up too.HyperSnap seem to be allright but it's an expensive program.*VideoSoftwares:I did test with FRAPS, and Camstasia.Fraps slows down dramatically the computer, FPS goes down to 5-6 and FSim is unplayable. The problem is, most the of the sofware used recommand 800x600 resolution, but using the PMDG737 with this res is undoable.Camstasia, a beautiful program (very expensive tho) should have give better results. With Camstasia, i noticed a problem of CODECS. In fact, they do recommand the use of microsoft mpeg4-V3 codec but you cannot get it anymore as only the media player 9 is available and after install, it does not give a MPEG4 encoder in Camstasia drop-down codec list. Result is : Good FPS, BUT the main windows FLICKS (appear and disapear randomly) during the playback. All external views are OK, but when you get inside the plane, the overlay various windows are not stable. It seems that theres a prob with the FPS rate capturing the 2D cockpit views or something like that.I red various tutorials but none gave good results applying the recommanded settings for FS2004.Traditionnal way:Used a DV camera, plugged in S-Video, with 'clone' system of my nvidia video card.It works, but there's a major downside : Screen Resolution !You cannot record at another res than the cam screen so you have 2 choices there : Use the PAN system by moving your pointer around in order to keep FS in at least 1024 res or you can also use a lower resolution in FS (not recommanded with the PMDG).Well, so far, no good solution for video.Does anyone have clues and method working for FS2004, keeping a good res ???Any help appreciated.My computer :P4 3.2 GhZ bus 800 + VTHD Serial ATA 120Go 7200rpm2x512 RAM DDRVideo FX5950 ultra 256MoXP ProFS2004

Guest Starfix

Hmm nobody tried screenies or video with our Bird ?

I tried Hypersnap, though it has a neat options, basically all that's needed, there's one big thing missing (or maybe i didn't find it): the screenshots keep open. So basically make 30 screens, and your computer will slow down to impossible. Of course you can always go out and close them in the program, but again, that's not the point :)

As far as screenshots are concerned look for UOSU.exe (Ultima oNline Screenshot Utility or something like that) Makes a BMP or JPG, you can even choose the quality/compression, and saves it directly in a specified directory. Pay a bit of attentio several different versions exist.. but it is freeware and works quite fine. Bye, Luca

Thanks Luca, this program is GREAT! Simple, freeare, and does the job as it should be done.

Guest Len

I like the freeware fsscreen.

Guest womil

Hello (name?),my favorite program to do screenshots is rapidshot. It is limited to taking 10 pictures per session in the unregistered form. Picture formats can be chosen (bmp or jpg). Kind regards,Wolfgang (EDQD)

As I said a coupole of posta further up.. UOSU makes BMPs or JPGs as many as you like and it's free ;) (rapidshot takes only ten pictures, fsscreen only makes BMP)Bye, Luca

Agreed: FSScreen - low memory footprint, simple. Only bmps, but those are perfect quality, and you can batch convert them later with irfanview.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)