Sign in to follow this  
BobbyBond2

Trouble with FMC

I've read a few posts about the AIRAC and SID/STARS procedures within the FMC. I have the AIRAC loaded with no problem, but my trouble is with the SID/STARS page. For any or all airports it never shows depatures or arrivals. I have loaded the SID/STARS file into the specified directory. Sorry if I sound clueless.. but I can't get it to work. Sometimes the FMC shows "error in approach line XXX". Am I missing something? Tried re-installing no luck. Any help would be great!Thanks,-Rob

Rob Sciarrino

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Hi RobThe PMDG SID/STAR collection is derived from the DAFIF database. DAFIF, created for the USAF, lacks a lot of airports around the world, it does however conber the US pretty good. So if you are flying outside US you may want to check out www.navdata.at for SID/STAR files made by other users.About the errors. If you get something like the one you mention, it means that the SID/STAR file for the chosen airport has some kind of syntax error. The latest default PMDG SID/STAR package was based on AIRAC 0313 if I'm not mistaken and if some waypoints were taken away in AIRAC 0403 it may not be consistent with the SID/STAR text file. If you are using a user made SID/STAR text file there may be programming errors as well. Again check www.navdata.at for updates on these airports. Hope it helps,PS. I'm sure someone would take a look at any specific SID/STAR file if you attach it. ;-)

Guest stang

>Sorry if I sound clueless.. but I can't get it to work. >Sometimes the FMC shows "error in approach line XXX". Am I>missing something? Tried re-installing no luck. Any help>would be great!Howdy RobFrom what you described you need to do two things.1. Get the most current terminal procedures (SIDs/STARs) as Mats suggested. Most current is cycle 0403 and is at the PMDG site.2. Make sure you have upgraded your plane to version 1.3.RegardsTerry

Thanks guys -Just make sure I install the files into the FS9 folder into the FMCWP directory? and SID/STARS into the PMDG/SIDSTARS directory?BTW, this is an awesome plane!Rob

Rob Sciarrino

Ok, maybe i'm confused on the SID/STAR files. So whats the best way to use these files? Should I download a specific one from www.navdata.at for my specified DEP/ARR airports? I downloaded the PMDG_SIDSTARS_0403.zip file from that site and installed it into the C:Program Files......Flight Simulator 9PMDGSIDSTARSNow all those txt files are in there. Is there something I'm missing? Another problem is those syntax errors when I enter my Depature and Arrival Airports (could be related to the SID/STARS)?Other than that, everything runs great!Thanks!-Rob

Rob Sciarrino

Unzip the SIDS/STARS into your PMDG SIDS/STARS folder, which all of those .txt file thingy's ;)Your navdata AIRAC 0403 is an installer file, which you then locate your MSFS root directory (i.e.: c: |program files|microsoft games|flight simulator 9) (with backslashes),which will update your VOR's/NDB's/Fixes and other waypoints etc.You can then d/l additional/replacement SIDS/STARS from the Navdata site to then place in the PMDG SIDS/STARS folder and overwrite existing files (make a backup) some other sites also provide their own SIDS/STARS for PMDG for their local area,for example www.austscene.com provides outstanding additional SIDS/STARS for PMDG.Any other problems, just yell out!Happy Flying,Travis

Rob,I think Travis answered most of your questions a bit further down in this thread. About the errors you receive, if they are in the form of "Error at xxxxx in line yyy" or something similar it is definitely something wrong with the SID/STAR file. If your error is something like "Not in Database" it could be caused by the AIRAC files.Just remember that the navaid database, AIRAC files, and the procedures database, SID/STAR files, are two different animals. But they have to co-operate... ;-)Cheers,

Well, I'm still having the same trouble. I think I'm going to start from scratch tonight. Maybe reinstall the plane, etc. I made sure all the .TXT files were in the SID/STARS dir, checked the ones for my dep/arr airports and didn't see anything wierd. Now, one thing I haven't tried was just leaving the 2 SID/STAR files for my DEP/ARR airports in there. Meaning that I'd "move" the rest of them out of the directory, so only KBUF and KORD show up. Other than that, I'm lost. Regardless of the airports I decide to fly to and from, the FMC gives me errors at the INIT REF airport. Then from there its just a mess (syntax errors, etc). It's not the end of the world, my passengers have no idea :-). But my co-pilot meows everytime she sees the syntax error ;-).Thanks a mil,-Rob

Rob Sciarrino

Rob,Sorry to hear you are having trouble still.Please attach the two files you're having trouble with and lemme check them out for ya in between the beta testing!My e-mail addy's in the top right corner. http://forums.avsim.net/images/email.gifCheers,

Guest stang

>Well, I'm still having the same trouble. I think I'm going>to start from scratch tonight. Maybe reinstall the plane,Rob, you didn't mention. Are you sure you also installed 737NG version 1.3? Older versions can cause same problems you are having. Terry

Terry -Good point, I failed to mention that, but yes. I have 1.3. I'm going to try and reinstall tonight. Mats checked out the files for me, and they looked good. Regards,Rob

Rob Sciarrino

I uninstalled and reinstalled everything. No problems. I removed the SIDS/STARS in the directory, and the FMC is working with the standard runways. Which is no problem at all! :-) I'll try putting a individual SID or STAR file in and see if that works. Other than that everything seems ok!Thanks for all the help!!Rob

Rob Sciarrino