Sign in to follow this  
Guest andrekr

How to use COM2?

Guest andrekr

Hi all,it seems I'm missing something, but somehow I'm not able to use communication over COM2 in my PMDG planes. I'm able to set the correct channel manually but nothing happens. Where to set COM2 as active port instead of COM1? First I thought in the overhead panel where you can set 1-both-2 for COM/Nav but it doesn't seem to work.Background: I'm using German airport additions from aerosoft with automatic docking systems. To set the system according to the plane, you need to set the frequency of COM1 (for example 127.37 for the 737). However (while my passengers are entering the plane) I for example want to receive the weather information in order to plan my flight (runway, wind & temp). Thus I need to switch to COM2 for current communication as I don't want my passengers to fall into the gap between the docking system and the plane. ;) As nobody asked this question before (I searched the forum) it seems that I'm just to silly to find how / where to activate COM2, or is is a limitation? Using other planes it works fine as expected.- Andre

Guest womil

Hi Andre,search the forum for the very helpful tutorial of Timothy Metzinger. In the tutorial the author describes which (free available) add-ons he uses with the PMDG planes. It is also written how You can use the default 737 comm panel with the PMDG panel.Hope this helps.Best regards and happy eastern,Wolfgang

Guest andrekr

Hi Wolfgang,I've already roughly red this tutorial with the addons.(didn't read every detail yet tho) Basically what I wanted to know is, if I'm just doing something wrong or if communication using COM2 is not implemented.Thank you, Happy Easter to you and yours :)Andre

Refer to Tim Metzinger's excellent Advanced Operations Tutorial for PMDG 737 Version 2 - http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=43841Goto page 109 - what you need to do is follow his instructions for adding the audio panel. The procedure uses the panel from the stock 737-400. He'll tell you how to modify your panel.cfg file so that this audio panel appears in the PMDG 737NG. Once you have that working, you'll be able to select COM2. (I would have just copy and pasted it for you, but didn't want to do that without Tim's permission)If I read PMDG's docs right on the upcoming 800-900, the radio panel is completed overhauled and it looks like you'll be able to select COM2 directly from there, if you upgrade to the 800-900 when it's available. (someone in the know correct me if I'm wrong.)Hope this helps..

If that's the way German Airports set the docking Andre I'm glad I don't have that add-on :-)With SimFlyers scenery you set the docking as you describe but also set a 'lock' frequency so once the airbridge 'knows' what the aircraft is and is 'locked' you can change COM1 back to ATIS or whatever.COM1 is used to set the aircraft and NAV2 to 'lock' it, a much better idea.Even better is an auto-detect system such as implemented in Oliver Pabst's LEPA scenery for FS2k & FS2k2, what a shame he never developed it further for FS9.Dave

Guest andrekr

Hi Dave,well, due to business reasons I moved near to the north of Munich in 1992 and shortly after my move (I think it was in April or May 1992) the new Franz Josef Strauss airport (EDDM) was opened and the old one (Munich Riem) closed. The move of all airport related cars was on the highway which was 600 meters away from my home - it was really spectacular to see this. I also fly often from EDDM due to business reasons and when starting with FS2004 for me the GA1 airport series therefore was a must have. It's really nicely designed with lots of details (even with the correct street-signs) and shows the airport how it is today (with both terminals). I didn't find any other desigh for EDDM which comes as close as that addition from aerosoft. Regarding the methods which are used for docking - well thats another story but mostly a matter of taste and as long as it works it is ok for me. Meanwhile I changed my PMGD installation as described in the advanced tutorial and it works very well now. :)- Andre