Sign in to follow this  
scomeau1

747 - No Windows 2000 Support

Hi, After looking at your new release page for the upcomming 747 release I can't figure out why you don't have support for anything else than Windows XP.Like me a lot of people are running Windows 2000.Can you fill me in please on the reasons why ?Thanks Scott

Guest georg

As Windows XP and 2000 are so similar to each other, I dont think that 747 will not work with it :)

It's almost impossible to offer support across many Windows platforms, simple as that. It's bad enough providing support for 1 Windows based system but throw in another FS version, 4 other windows operating systems and your result is many frustrated users ;-). That's not to say that the 744 will not RUN good upon Win 2000 as it is close in function to the base of Win XP, only that if you do encounter issues, you will be on your own. As technology moves ahead, so does PMDG and they must keep everything current.(All based upon personal OPINE) Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Scott-Randy has a spot-on answer already, so I won't repeat what he wrote.... But I can add a few details.During the NG development, we tried very hard to be "all things to all sims/platforms."The end result is that we have some latent weaknesses in the 737 design that result from having to make comprimises in the sim platform or in the windows platform.As we continued development of the 737-800/900, we found that we could dramatically simplify the operation be reducing the number of platforms and sims that we support.By dropping FS2002 alone, we save nearly 20% in development resources, for example.The decision not to support any platform other than WinXP is not quite as clear cut, but it is the same basic principle.We routinely review "support work drivers" to find the flaws in our software, support structure, administration tools and communication that lead to repetitive answers and "work" from a tech support side. While we don't expect to eliminate tech support work altogether- it is obviously important to us that we reduce the amount of "controllable work," especially as our customer base grows.We have found that users operating on a non XP platform are 80% more likely to experience intractable compatibility problems than users on a winXP platform....That is not to say that ALL nonXP users have problems- or even 'most.' But the decision to support only the most current windows platform means that we can cut down on the development time required to compatibility-validate every change made to a product with multiple platform-sim interfaces....I will probably get shot by Paul (our Tech Support Manager) for saying this, but the fact that we do not support nonXP does not mean that our products won't work in W2000. If I were to bet money- I'd say the 744 will work just fine if the 737 runs well on your platform... But please do not hold me to that... as it is not something we will test for....Hope that helps your understanding....

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest Nickman

Windows XP was built off the foundation of Windows 2000. Its basically the same but more user friendly.Nick B.Continental Airlines 737NG Pilothttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg--AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2 Ghz400W Power supply3x 80 mm Case FansSoyo VIA KT600 Dragon PlusnVidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb2 x 512 PC400100 GB Western DigitalMicrosoft Sidewinder Precision 2

>Windows XP was built off the foundation of Windows 2000. Its>basically the same but more user friendly.*LOL*

Hi,Many thanks for your replys, I understand your reasons.Looks like I will have to make the move to XP this summer, I just hope that I can run both systems WIN 2000 & XP so I can keep my FS2000 & FS2002 software also.Thanks Scott

Just look at the results of the AVSIM User Survey (link on upper left of AVSIM front page) - 86% of respondents are using XP. Simple business decision.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models