Sign in to follow this  
Guest tmetzinger

PFD/ND or EFIS/MAP? What's YOUR preference?

Guest tmetzinger

Since I fly for Simulated Southwest on VATSIM, I've been using the EFIS/MAP option ever since the 800/900 update came out.Recently, though, I've switched back (or "forward") to the PFD/ND style since in my opinion, it gives more information to me, with the ND taking up a full display (great for TCAS!). It's especially noticable in the normal display. It's also easier to set the BARO DH in the PFD/ND and a few other things.While I understand why SWA and other airlines asked for and got the EFIS displays (common cockpits between different models of 737 = LOTS of money saved in pilot training and cross-model qualification), I' wonder if they'll ever get to a point where the (in my opinion) more useful PFD/ND layout becomes standard.PS - I also find the PFD/ND layout is an easier transition from the real airplanes I've been flying lately, with either Garmin G1000 or Avidyne glass cockpits.So, I'm wondering, what's YOUR preference for the setup of the displays in your cockpit?

PFD/ND hands down. And cross bar FD of course!! ;-)Can't get the grip of the V-bar. But then again it could be that I am a very square person (read engineer) and want my deviations laid up in X and Y coordinates... :-)Cheers,

I prefer the PFD/ND display, however, I still like using the EFIS/MAP combo. The PFD makes it easier to look at and read, whereas the EFIS is cluttered. I am glad we have a choice though.Personally, I can't understand why one would need additional training to move to the modern PFD display. All these pilots have flown several planes and are used to different cockpits. I understand if the switch is from Boeing to Airbus, but it's just a couple displays. If a pilot can't switch between the the two styles, then I wonder what it says about their ability. I assume it's an FAA thing, in which case we all know the government regulates our lives beyond ridiculousness.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

>Personally, I can't understand why one would need additional>training to move to the modern PFD display. All these pilots>have flown several planes and are used to different cockpits. All pilots? How do you know you this?>I understand if the switch is from Boeing to Airbus, but it's>just a couple displays. Just a couple displays? These displays provide the primary information for heads down flight. It is imperative that pilots be fully competent with them. When things go wrong, the display had better be second nature to the pilot.If a pilot can't switch between the>the two styles, then I wonder what it says about their>ability. I assume it's an FAA thing, in which case we all>know the government regulates our lives beyond>ridiculousness.And what if it's an operator philosophy thing? Does that make it alright? Some operators do switch back and forth between different display formats, but not Southwest. I'm sorry that you feel the FAA is somehow regulating your life beyond ridiculousness. It is the flying public that demands the current extremely high level of safety (especially compared to other modes of transportation) that we have in today's commercial air transportation.Don S.

LOLAnother hypersensitive net user huh? You from Arfcom?Obviously all pilots have flown more than one plane. Do they start on a Boeing or a Cessna? Everyone starts somewhere you know.Yes, I feel it's just a couple of displays. Of course they should be fully competent on them, but seriously, the differences are minimal between the two IMO. Don't tell me you couldn't use two different types, or could you? You infer it's a bad thing, then say some operators do it. Yes, SWA only use the EFIS displays.....and? Where did I say that was a problem?My FAA statement, if you would have read properly, states that the government tends to run our lives because they think we are all sheeple. It wasn't meant to say the FAA is wrong for putting safety first. Don't analyze these internet posts so much.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I like the PFD/ND too. I use the WestJet version since it has the RA on the top right (where the AOA is normally). But the EFIS/MAP is nice in the ZOOM panel otherwise it's way to small for me..Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/Animation1.gifCaution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey,I'm a PFD/ND guys aswell and the cross hair FD bars. Like Mats I never could get used to that single cue thing. I've enabled all the optionals aswell, rising runway, AOA etc.I find the PFD easier to read and I also much prefer that the ND is uncluttered thus giving a larger view of your route etc.What about the EICAS guys, which way do you prefer - over under or side by side?Personally I like the side by side, mainly because I do 99% of my flying from the 2D and the side by side makes it easier to see everything at a glance as oppossed to pulling up pop ups.Cheers David

Guest rcritz

I also prefer PFD/ND but I use single-cue because:a) I hate the crossbars and:( the Challenger, which is my real life EFIS, uses a single-cue systemcz