Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lassar

PDMG 737 600/700 ILS Approach. Noobeh Alert !

Guest Lassar

I was wondering being a noob and all, if the A/C was suddenly hit by a gust of wind on final approach would the AP disengage ? The only reason why i ask is that on approach to EGPH the other day i was locked onto the localiser and everything looked good, then suddenly the aircraft lurched to the right, the VOR LOC and the CMD B disengaged and the bird made a hasty climb to 3000 AGL.I have only been flying this plane for around a week and i have only managed to do one complete autoland in the tutorial trip.When i come in on the ILS during the final turn i hit VOR lock and the bird turns towards the runway and i always find that i am below the glide slope, so i push the V/S switch and then the APP button. A figure briefly flashes on and off on the V/S panel but the plane stays at the same height. I wait for the G/S indicator to show and then i hit the CMD B button. The plane overflys the runway at 3000 AGL ?????????I also find that under the artificial horizon alt hold is lit up and yet it is not selected ?Please help, does any one know where i can find a comprehensive approach proceedure ? The one in the manual is a bit pants.ThanksRic

Download one of the many tutorials available. Lots of good information in them on how to fly an approach.Also sounds like you don't have wind smoothing turned on in FSUIPC. Turning this function on will smooth sudden (unrealistic) changes in weather that some weather engines (including FS9) induce. Further information on this can be found by doing a search of the forum.

Ric,Just to add to Geroge's post. Yes the real A/P will disengage if flown into real nasty winds, But it's rare. You can find a thread dealing with exactly this problem if you do a search on this forum. As I understand it it's a common 'noobeh' or newbie experience.Hope it helps,

>I was wondering being a noob and all, if the A/C was suddenly>hit by a gust of wind on final approach would the AP disengage>? > Perhaps but I doubt that is your reason.>The only reason why i ask is that on approach to EGPH the>other day i was locked onto the localiser and everything>looked good, then suddenly the aircraft lurched to the right,>the VOR LOC and the CMD B disengaged and the bird made a hasty>climb to 3000 AGL. Did you do anything at all right before this? Touch the controls at all?>>I have only been flying this plane for around a week and i>have only managed to do one complete autoland in the tutorial>trip.>>When i come in on the ILS during the final turn i hit VOR lock>and the bird turns towards the runway and i always find that i>am below the glide slope, so i push the V/S switch and then>the APP button. A figure briefly flashes on and off on the>V/S panel but the plane stays at the same height. I wait for>the G/S indicator to show and then i hit the CMD B button. >The plane overflys the runway at 3000 AGL ?????????>>I also find that under the artificial horizon alt hold is lit>up and yet it is not selected ?>>Ric If you are too low then you need to get out a approach chart to see what altitude you need to be at for proper G/S capture. V/S is limited by the mode control panel. It will not go lower unless you dial a lower altitude into the MCP's altitude window and select a V/S (simply pushing the V/S botton does NOT set a vertical speed). Alt hold is because you have reached the altitude on the MCP.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]