Sign in to follow this  
Guest glenb

Virgin Atlantic ITVV 747-400 video & PMDG 747-400

Guest glenb

I would guess that anyone that has seen the video ITVV 747-400 Virgin Atlantic and is going to purchase PMDG 747-400 will want to duplicate the flight in the video from London (EGLL) to San Francisco (KSFO). The charts used in the video are the same ones on the program from Jeppesen,

Maybe some names changed but that is really of no significance. Whether it is Golden Gate 4 Arrival or perhaps 6 nowadays makes no practical difference. The botom line they still fly the same route today - starting from Point Reyes VOR and then making a broad left turn over Palo Alto area for runway 28L. What is probably more difficult is getting exact copy of their flight plan with all the intermediate waypoints enroute. Basically from the DVD we only know they passed Keflavik to their left and later flew close to Winnipeg, Canada.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Guest glenb

Michael,You are correct, it is no big deal to have the same approach, but I have the same approach charts as used in the video and think it would be nice to fly the same approach. Maybe I will write the approach. So now the question is; can we get the same flight plan from EGLL to KSFO that was used in the video?

Guest Boaz

Glen this is one heck of a movie yes...The Golden Gate 4 Arrival is the same...Their approach was vectored remember?They flew in over the airport and then was vectored around for the approach and ILS intercept...And when you sat write, does that mean for the FMC?Boaz...

While the information given is far from complete he does say more than just Iceland and winnipeg.He says something likeHeathrow (take off about 1030Z)ManchesterWestern isles of ScotlandIcelandCrossing GreenlandSondrestrom fjord on Western coast of Greenland (BGSF) (about 1400Z)Iqaluit on Baffin Island (CYFB)crossing hudson bayChurchill /ManitobaWinnipeg /Manitoba (have now clibed to about FL390)then crossing the US / Canadian bordertowards salt lake citythen towads San FransiscoOne should be able to make out a decent route from this and I will have a go at it! :)

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest glenb

I don

Guest Knikolaes

I also VERY highly recommend http://myairplane.com for USA charts. That site also has a few other goodies I use a lot **smiles**Chris

Guest glenb

Chris,That is a great site. Much more user friendly.Thanks

Here is a real FP from LHR to SFO from 2 day, however its BA operatedN0488F340 BUZAD3J BUZAD T420 WELIN UN57 TNT UL28 RODOL UP6 DIMLI UN570 GINGA/M085F340 UN572 GOMUP/M085F350 DCT 59N020W 60N030W 60N040W 60N050W/M085F360 59N060W DCT LAKES DCT KLIPS SCAL ELVEL DCT VBI/N0477F380 J107 HML DCT MOT DCT BIL051167/N0481F380 DCT BIL203098 DCT PIH DCT OAL DCT MOD MOD2KSFO1025 KOAKCheers

This video is excellent.First of all I live in NY and got the video in my mailbox 4 days after ordering it. (the company is in the UK).All the detail in the beginning is great, but from the start of the descent to touch down is riveting. Even though it's perfect weather you still get sense of how much is really going on during these descents and landings. (Watch out for the 757 right next to you!).I was thinking throughout this video about the PMDG 747 and how this video will be a great tool for demonstrating the overhead etc...As for KSFO charts, another very good source is airnav.comIt gives a ton of information about every US airport. Current weather, STARS, airport diagrams (taxiways), IAP's, communications etc...

Guest ColdBear

Here is the almost exact route that they flew:VA19: London Heathrow to San FranciscoEGLL27R.WOBUN2F.WOBUN..WELIN.UA2.DCS.UA1.GOW.UN615.STN.UN610.BILLY.N61W010.N63W015.N65W020.N68W030.N69W040.N70W05075YCY.NCAA.YUX32.NCAL3.YUT96..YRT..YYQ.J89.YWG.5T11.YDR.J504.VLN.J500.YXC.J517.GEG.J3.RBL.GOLDN4.KSFO28LRgds,Martin

Guest Knikolaes

Woah -- wierd. I put that route into FSBuild and it looked . . . . well . . . did they take a tour of Canada on their way?Looks great as they circle over Iceland but the circle is wide into Canada, then about halfway over canada it zips straight south to almost the border of Canada, then follows the border to almost Washington then south into KSFO . . . . If I remember correctly the video mentioned SLC and a few other places in the US? Didnt the fly of Salt Lake or was I hallucinating?Just making sure so that I can reenact it right. I'll watch the video again for meself and see what I lost somewhere.So either FSBuild is wrong or that route in the last reply there is wrong.This is how I entered it in FSBuild LOL:EGLL WOBU2F WOBUN WELIN UA2 DCS UA1 GOW UN615 STN UN610 BILLY N61W010 N63W015 N65W020 N68W030 N69W040 N70W05075 YCY NCAA YUX32 NCAL3 YUT96 YRT YYQ J89 YWG 5T11 YDR J504 VLN J500 YXC J517 GEG J3 RBL GOLDN4 KSFOLOL Lemme try that other plan listed up there and see how it comes out.<<<<>>>> - Tried the otherflight plan. Guess it' in a different format -- FSBuild will not accept it. LOL.

Guest glenb

Thanks to those that provided flight plans from EGLL

I'm all for realism but doing a route exactly like they do is a little extreme IMO! But anyway, could they have been directed to head away from a storm in the Utah area or south of it? Maybe that's why it wasn't a logical route.