Sign in to follow this  
Guest gramaticus

PMDG TCAS selection

Guest gramaticus

Good Morning Members.Can anyone tell me how to get the TCAS to operate. I have the option set in the PMDG Menu to activate TCAS through FS2004, rather than FSUIPC.To test the system, took off from a major international airport, without an airborne clearance, against landing traffic, but TCAS showed OFF in the ND display.What else needs to happen to make TCAS active.Many ThanksPaul

Guest hlm65

Hi!Do you have the 800/900 or just the basic 600/700 ?If you own just the basic, TCAS will not work.If you own the 800/900, go to the radio panel,locate the transponder panel, switch the TCAS master switch to TEST to hear/see the test routine, switch it either to TA or TA/RA. Switch to ABS or REL the "altitude" switch (it will display for each traffic either absolute altitudes or altitudes relative to your altitude).On the glareshield, top left, press the TFC button and set the range to max 40 NM to get also the "traffic ring" on the ND. You should have a small caption on the left side of the ND saying TCAS. And you should also see other traffic displayed (if there are other planes in the vicinity!).Hope this helps.

Guest gramaticus

Hi Enrico.Thanks for the quick response. Works just fine now.Best RgdsPaul

i suppose TA/RA means absolute altitudes or altitudes relative,what should i set it to to see ac on top and below me?

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest hlm65

TA/RA means Traffic Advisory/Resolution Advisory. In this mode, TCAS will issue not only traffic alerts ("traffic,traffic", when traffic is approx 40 second from point of closest approach-PCA) but also resolution advisories (such as "increase climb", when "intruder" is about 25 secs before PCA).If targets have a vertical speed higher than 500ft/min, a small arrow pint up or down will appear near the target indicating climb or descent in progress.Normal operation is in TA/RA mode, but sometimes TA only is preferred to avoid nuisance warnings (VFR ops, parallel approaches). TA only is also used during one engine out ops to avoid RA commands that could require unattainable performance.You can set the absolute altitudes display to see Flight Levels labels attached to traffic icons; if you wish relative (to you) altitudes, you'll see +15 (1500 ft above your current altitude) or -05 (500 ft below)...So, it's up to your preference to see absolute or relative. I personally prefer absolute, but this is a personal idea.OK ?And TCAS will normally show traffic only in the +2700/-2700 ft about your altitude range.Best regards.

Guest neeraj.pendse

In my PMDG, even though I set the transponder to TA/RA, I get a "TA Only" message on the ND. Why is that?- Neeraj

Guest neeraj.pendse

Thanks George

Amazing little details one finds out when searching on how something is suppose to work ;-). Now to see how great a job Lee really did on the TCAS locate all the colored symbols and when and where they apppear relitive to you position ;-)[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]