Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

A directory for skins only!

Ok,i gotta gripe about this!Alot of times im thinking im downloading a plane, only to see .BMP files. Some of these skins are a few megs, and thats ok, but when i want "aircraft" i want "aircraft"...not skins! Some of the descriptions dont even say if there planes or skins.I do a search and look for a particular plane, and all i get is pages of skins,or yet another commercial boeing 747. Everything is all mixed together, making it nerve racking and confusing. This is a great site for a great game, but that part of the search engine is F***ED UP!!.. :) Thanx,=swiv=

Guest Barney1

You don't mention which site you're downloading from, but if it's Avsim or Flightsim.com, provision is made to "view" each *.zip file's contents before actually downloading to your computer. If there aren't any *.mdl. or *.air files therein; and only *.bmp files, then there's no point d/l this *.zip.If there are only *.bmp files (Texture), the author usually stipulates that they pertain to a specific aircraft; thus it would be necessary to d/l said aircraft separately. The reason for not including the same aircraft each time a 'new' set of textures is made available is to save on bandwidth for those interested in using those different textures.

Guest jaapverduijn

I've noticed something similar: even if the "whole" plane is there, it's often only the OUTside. I've downloaded many "new" airplanes only to find that there's no panel or cockpit interior or whatever... just the outside. Now, I kindly ask all you good sirs and ladies: how often does one see the outside of ones own airplane? I rarely do, very rarely before a flight, a slight bit more often after the flight to congratulate myself with the surprising fact that the plane is ON the strip instead of left, right or underneath it (grin)!I'm a newcomer to flight simulation: only about nine months now. But during this time I've felt cheated quite often by obtaining stuff like "THREE different aircraft", which turned out to be exactly the same bloody plane with only some different licks of paint on the outside. As if I care! One of my favorites is the DC2 package by I believe my countryman Cappers. Bloody marvelous plane, but only ONE instead of the promised THREE. Whichever variation I click on: the KLM Uiver, the TWA or the Lindbergh Lines... only a lick of outside paint changes, but nothing of any importance does, nothing at all. From the position of the pilot (which after all MSFS is about) nothing is different: same panel (great panel, by the way!), same cockpit. In other words: same plane. But then again, I never cared about the outside of anything. In the sadly gone days when I still could drive a car, I kept its inside quite neat and clean, but NEVER washed the outside. Why would I? I hardly ever saw it. The only outside I regularly wash is my own, and that's more on account of a possible smell than that I even remotely care how I look (grin)! Alright, that's enough intimacy for to day. Be well, all of you!Jaap Verduijn.

Guest emergency_pants

=swiv=I'm with you on this. It's very irritating to do a search for a cessna and find yourself wading through three pages of repaints for a commercial package. A little while ago, it was fine.... but there are SO MANY repaints now that it's becoming a chore and a major irritation. And visa versa if you want to find a repaint?I personally like the way Simviation has structured their download section. It's fantastic. I wish the AVSIM library was structured that way!!!!!It's also irritating when uploaders don't specify on the description whether the zip contains a repaint or a complete aircraft. Siue, you can take a look inside the zip, with the link, but really... do you honestly think I'm going to sit around wading through each zip like that? I don't think so.Swiv... you should also post your opinion in the File Library Forum.Cheers,Si.

The reality is that, within a particular type or make, most airliners are pretty much the same on the inside, with far less variety in cockpits, the major differences being the company livery.This is reflected in what is desired by the simming community. With the advent of FS2002, there has been an increase in interest in GA aircraft, but even now the indications are that most still want to fly the "big iron".Thus re-paints are what people are interested in getting. Even with the top GA craft (DF Archer, Flight1 C421C, FSD Commander etc.) there's no point in providing the whole package when it is only new textures that people want. The cockpit and flight models need not be reproduced.If you, personally, don't want to step outside the cockpit, then fine ! All the big sites allow you to refine your search to FS2002 Panels, FS2002 Sounds etc. Most files come with a readme file that is viewable online, so you can see what is included, and whether it is a repaint of (a) a default plane (:( repaint of a 3rd-party add-on © a complete package. With FS2002 the file sizes took a big size increase over previous versions, and this is one way of minimizing the upload/download sizes.Many simmers are only "in" the cockpit for take-off and landing - the rest of the time they're outside on autopilot in "Spot View". Here, a good "skin" is what matters.Given that the sites carry uploads that serve everyone's needs inevitably we all have to "wade through" files that are of no personnal interest.

Guest Heather 636

Perhaps a "polite" request to Admin for a separate category will get results.For the record, I like both. New interiors and models are fine, although most often very minimal in regrads to being noticable to the eye.I also like nice exterior liveries. I had some repaints in mind but now may be a bit gunshy about putting them up. A separate "Skins" category would be nice. But, if not, I'm certainly not going to complain if I have to do a bit of wading, when the wading is "free."Regards,Heather

Guest Smiley

I agree =swiv=,I use the scan by date search function and still have ended up with a few skins only when I'm looking for a complete aircraft. Admin,Could we have a clearer heading indicator listing whether an available download is a skin or full ac ? Or a separate directory for each ?Thx for thinking about it !

In the supermarket you do not open all the tins to see what is inside ,you read the lable I hope :)Or maby supermarkets should have seperate stores for ingrediants and others for the ready made meals?So why not read the lable on the file "textures only" "textures for default 737" or "Complete pacage" "includes panel and sounds "I never found this reading a real problem and it is a bad English reading person you are listening too (if you did not leave already )Anniette xxxxxxxx

"Ok,i gotta gripe about this!":-roll Swiv... Why do you have to gripe about this? Ask nicely and you have a better chance of success, Be a Turniphead and you've no chance of getting anything. It might work with your Mom but I doubt it will with anyone else.Thats my gripe, I just HAD to do it :-)Pete

Guest Edam

I think that the "Mom" comment might have been a tad out of line, wouldn't you say? He may have come on a little strong initially, but a lot of people are agreeing with him anyway, without such comments, which in my opinion puts you in the same category that you are objecting to.

Yeah right.... ok....... whatever... lets all have a Gripe!. why not!However, I agree that navigating file library yourself is not as easy as your Mom doing it for you! but were talking about just a few more minutes and a bit more attention to detail. Of course everyone has the right to tell everyone about there problems, and to suggest a possible solution (which is a good idea by the way). I just object to the "Gripe" thing and of course the "*****" stuff.... Having said that, I don't really mind. I'm just bored :-):-)Pete

Profanity, even with the ***'s is going to get you booted off pretty quick. Continue the practice and you won't have worry about "skins".As for the intent of the message, we are looking into it. And with that, I am locking this thread before your childish initial post causes a flame war, which appears to be happening.