Sign in to follow this  
ashigar

Manual landing with FD on question

Hi Fellows,I always do manual landing from 12 miles out and yet to perform an auto land with the 744. My question is, right at the start of decend I turn off one of the flight directors depending on which side (FO or Captian)I choose to fly on the flight. On final with AT and command off, the "HDG" and "ALT" are always active even though not impeding my manual landing, it's annnoying. Is this a Boeing design or I'm doing something wrong? ThnxGus

Guest D17S

Try landing on a runway that has an ILS. You can tune the ILS freq on the FMC's radio page using freq/course format(XXX.XX/YYY) at (LSK 4L?). Now the flight directors will show 'LOC / GS' and have something to follow. (Right now, it seems they just have nothing to do.) Now handfly your landing by only following the flight director. No peeking out the window. Now, that's fun.

>Try landing on a runway that has an ILS. You can tune the ILS>freq on the FMC's radio page using freq/course>format(XXX.XX/YYY) at (LSK 4L?). Now the flight directors will>show 'LOC / GS' and have something to follow. (Right now, it>seems they just have nothing to do.) Now handfly your landing>by only following the flight director. No peeking out the>window. Now, that's fun.Actually that is exactly what I have been doing, but may be I did not explain it right. What I meant is; even when done it as you discribed, the "HDG" & "ATL" indications will not go out. The only time they will be off is by turning off the FD and that time you will have no FD to follow. So I guess my question is....How do you fly a manual landing/approach with FD on and no light indication of Heading and altitude? ThnxGus

Dunno about the 744, but in the 737NGs, hitting APP mode cancels ALT and HDG modes when the ILS comes in.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest afluhart

Basically if understand you right... just do a normal instrument approach but don't engage the a/p or hit the command buttons. At that point your f/d should be following the ils and your approach and if something went wrong were you needed to engage the a/p all you have to do is hit one of the command buttons. Just remember if you have the f/d on it will follow what ever you have selected for it to follow.

>Basically if understand you right... just do a normal>instrument approach but don't engage the a/p or hit the>command buttons. At that point your f/d should be following>the ils and your approach and if something went wrong were you>needed to engage the a/p all you have to do is hit one of the>command buttons. Just remember if you have the f/d on it>will follow what ever you have selected for it to follow.Hello,I think may be the real 744 pilots will have the correct answer to this. Basically on any normal flight from APT A to APT B with full FMC procedures all the way to final approach. Now you decide to come off automation and land manually from 12, less or any miles out with one of the FD still on. The "HDG" and the "ALT" indications are still engage on the PFD and when you turn off FD, they will go off too, but once you turn it back on they will re-engage. So my question is what do you do to land with FD and no "HDG/ALT" engagement on the PFD? By the way, the is the same way with LVD 767 except when FD is turn off and back on again on LVD the "HDG/ALT" will be off. Any professional inputs from our Real world drivers? ThnxGus

>and when you turn off FD, they will go off too, but once you>turn it back on they will re-engage.I don't understand your logic. If you want to land manually with FD on why do you insist on turning it off? Leave the FD on and all the modes remain on the PFD.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Guest petermcleland

You possibly have not got the APP mode button pressed. This is necessary for the FD to indicate and lock to an ILS approach path.

Okay like at the link below and see if what I have been trying to explain. The F/O is doing manuall landing and if you look at the Captain's PFD, you can see the FD is off right? Now look at the F/O's PFD, and you will see that his FD is on yet there is no activation of "PITCH(ALT)" & ROLL(HDG)" on his PFD. This is not the case with the PMDG 744 and that is what I have been asking. Any more inputs? Thnxhttp://www.airliners.net/open.file/972903/L/ Gus

>Okay like at the link below and see if what I have been>trying to explain. The F/O is doing manuall landing and if you>look at the Captain's PFD, you can see the FD is off right?I don't think it is a reliable photo. The general lighting is so poor (Sun's glare?) that even the EICAS looks totally blank. I would not use this as a reference for anything.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Guest neilb

The problem with that picture is that the CRT monitors redraw segments on the screen depending on what changes.So its likely that the instant that picture was taken those segments of the PFD were being drawn.

Hi Sam,Thanks for sharing your knowledge of this with us. Even though the real picture has some clarity problems, there is one visible issue with it compare to PMDG 744. This is the MCP activation of the PITCH & ROLL. The PMDG model as always will have the MCP HDG and ALT activated with one FD off and the other on for manuall landing. This is not such case with the real picture as stated by you. The F/O PFD's FD is on and the Captain's is off, but the MCP again shows no activation for PITCH & ROLL. I have by the way seen a manuall landing 767 with both FDs off and again why is it that the LVD 767 turns off PITCH & ROLL activation on both PFD and MCP after deactivating and reactivating FD after one is off for manuall landing? ThnxGus