Sign in to follow this  
Guest stevesj

precipitation flame out

Guest stevesj

HiDid I dream this or did I read that it is possible to get a flame out if flying in high precipitation ? - I have tried to create it but it didn't happen.CheersSteve

Guest brettdonahue

I think it is possible in real life (read a few articles from the FAA crash logs), but I don't think so in simulation. I saw once on the Discovery Channel when they were doing a rain test on the new 767 engine, talk about amazing.Ok, after search for 30 minutes I found this video to show offhttp://100.rolls-royce.com/facts/view.jsp?id=217 and the click on the video.Or better yet, http://www.geae.com/education/engines101/And click on safety, there are three videos, water, icing, and hail storm.I didn't look for anything about bird ingestion.Cheers Bretthttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

I remember reading about a DC-9 flameout in both engines on approach in heavy rain to Montgomery Al many (>20) years ago, they got things relit so I assume they were outside the FAF. All I remember about the story was a line about things were real quiet... I don't think it is a likely event with modern high bypass turbines.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest afluhart

I remember watching on the Discovery Channel bird ingestion trials on the (then) new 777 engines. I can't remember what they were actually throwing in the engine... but it was phenominal!

Guest AJ

I have not seen it happen in the sim myself, but if you go to the PMDG's 747-400 product page, it clearly states, "Engine Flame-Outs during heavy precipitation and at V speeds possible." I would imagine that as in real life, this is not something that can be easily caused on demand. There are a number of different inter-dependant circumstaces that must come together for it to happen, i.e. rainfall density, wind speed and direction, aircraft speed and direction, power setting etc.Andrew

Hello, on the GE website there is some great video of water ingestion,ice etc. on GE90 engines

These days I try to avoid flying into CBs (using the reality xp weather radar) ... or obvious heavy rain. In the old days when I was just learning PS1.3 ... I did "miss" a large cb on the radar and flew right into it ... two flameouts ... was able to restart thankfully ... but the moral of the story as I remember it is that there is a "CON" button in the fuel section of the overhead ... meaning continuous ignition ... which is to be used for conditions like flying through heavy rain.As a habit, on the PMDG 747, I use CON for takeoffs and final approaches .. and flying through rain. I'm not a real pilot ... just a virtual one ... hahahahaha ... but I believe that CONtinuous Ignition will save you from flameouts in heavy rain.Regards,Paul BenoitKSAN

Guest Callmecapt

I can safely say, flameouts DO occur with the 747. I was flying on Vatsim, took off from Seattle in heavy rain. Con Ignition was NOT on. Got my clearance from the Controller. About 100 ft AGL, Engine 3 died. I radioed a pan pan and informed the controller I had an engine flameout and would try to reignite it. He told me to continue on runway heading and inform him if I was successful and any other intentions I had. I did manage to successfully re ignite engine 3 and turned Con Ignition on until I was out of the rain.Was quite impressedGoran

Guest stevesj

Thanks Goran, that answers the question. That is fantastic modelling. I suppose you were using Vatsim weather, can you recall the conditions ?Steve

Guest Callmecapt

Actually, I was using ASV. Brilliant program. If you don't have it, I suggest you get it.Overcast with heavy showers. Afternoon flight. About 5pm. Real world weather and everything was in real time. not sure the winds but they were gusting. I remember that very clearly.Goran