Sign in to follow this  
StarBlue

Anyone have this Book?

Hey All,Was wondering around waiting for the -400F to release and I came across this book:"Unofficial Boeing 747-400 Simulator Procedures and Techniques Manual" by Mike Ray. There was one for the 737 but it was geared more towards the "Classics". I know there have been a couple of PMDG related tutorials but was wondering if this is worth my money to buy to go along with learning the Queen?

Guest Hawkeyeted

Most definitely! I'v got it and the covers are well worn!

Guest Jacob Lee

Does it cover the PMDG 747? If so, is it worth the money to buy it?

From my understanding it covers the real plane. PMDG has tried to make their product as real as possible. So I imagine, the website I found it one recommended it if you own the PMDG, it probably is fairly close. I don't know if the book tells you the screw in the up left corner is the TO/GA switch for the flight sim. But you never know.

Guest AJ

>Does it cover the PMDG 747? If so, is it worth the money to>buy it?This book is intended for real pilots preparing for exams in Level-D full motion simulators. In other words, it is for the real plane. It might go into more detail than some people may really want, and dare I say covers a few aspects of the real bird that the PMDG sim does not recreate. However, if you are looking for "everything you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask," then this is the book to get. Although intended for professionals, it is written in a fun and very reader-friendly style that is atypical of most flight manuals and tutorials.Andrew

Guest Hawkeyeted

>Does it cover the PMDG 747? If so, is it worth the money to>buy it?It's not for FLIGHT simulator, it's for the REAL simulator check-flight. Mike Ray is a retired United pilot, and a Checkairman for the 737/767/747 aircraft.That said, it has TONS of real world gouge that applies to flying the PMDG 747 in FS9.

He wrote another generic 700 series one for FS9 simulator. See the description at his site, www.utem.com. It covers glass cockpits and other procedures the NG 700 series aircraft with accent on the FMC and MPC control as well as quick intros to fuel planning, weather interpretation, IFR plate interpretation, and so forth. It does not get into specific systems as his other books. He takes you through a basic flight and then steps up to more sophisticated control.About $30 US and along with the PMDG performance documentation should provide all of what you need. I have it and like it used with my 737NG 600 through 900.He also briefly mentions the 767 as well. The idea is that Boeing FMC and general operations are similar, but not exact, among their variants.