Sign in to follow this  
Guest CharlesH

About my aircraft

OK, time to jump on the soap box. Needless to say I get a ton of e-mail concerning my aircraft. Some of them ask for features that I have not designed into my aircraft. Most are done in a polite and reasonable tone, which I welcome. Others are not. Unfortunately, I've been getting a rash of the latter type lately. Some people prefer aircraft with all the bells and whistles. If this is what you want in an aircraft, that's great. To each his own. And there are numerous sources for such aircraft. But these things just aren't that important to me and based on the bulk of the e-mail I get, I'm far from the only one that feels that way. I'm not out to create the ultimate, does everything aircraft. It's not that I couldn't if I wanted to. I could create a model with every feature you can think of. But then you'd only see one every two years. That, and they'd probably get about 1 frame per minute on lower end systems. But I'm just not going there folks. It ain't gonna happen. I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing, creating aircraft for folks who just want a decent looking aircraft to fly (or use as AI). Bottom line is that my aircraft don't have virtual cockpits, they don't have totally accurate avionics, every door and hatch doesn't open, every tiny little part on the plane doesn't have a photo-realistic textures (gasp!). If you're looking for these things, then like I said, that's terrific. I'd be the last person to knock it. But PLEASE don't send me e-mail with the attitude that I should be strung up by the thumbs just because I have the audacity not to give you exactly what you want, for free. Like I said, I welcome feedback on my aircraft, but if you just want to rag on me, do us both a favor and send your e-mail somewhere else.Mike Stone <--- jumping off the soapbox

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm behind you 100% Mike!!(and I'm not a bad shot either)You tell 'em!!Ooorah! Semper Fi!Heather(Sorry about that "Tom". One of the problems keeping your thoughts together after answering a dozen emails and checking twice as many forum posts and replies.)

Hi Mike,Well I for one can't believe the reasoning behind people that bad mouth you for what you planes do/don't have.I think that all of your planes are great, you are afterall doing it for FREE, and I can understand how much of your time it must take up to do what you do, I do product 3D modelling (bottles, packaging etc) and I know how long it takes my to do my job, plus I get paid for it.I have always held the belief that if I get something for free, that under no circumstances will I bad mouth it.After all no one has held a gun to my head to download it, If I don't like it I delete it, there is loads of other stuff out there I can have.Keep up the great job,I very much appreciate it!.Dan.

HI MikeI support what you say one hundred percent. I always feel that people who design things for the flightsim world as freeware and give up their spare time to do things which they enjoy and also to give enjoyment to others deserves a pat on the back. Without people like you the flightsim world would be too horrible to imagine, full of payware addons which wouldnt be half as good as they are today as they woudlnt have the freeware designers addons out there for them to make that extra bit of effort so to justify the extra cost. If people dont like your planes they dont have to use them, they dont have to fly them. It does annoy me though when people expect payware quality or above payware quality for things which are free anyway. My contribution to the flightsim world is only to make screenshots for people to enjoy but I do it because I enjoy it too and even though Im not talented like alot of people who are do things here for free I still like to convey my enjoyment of simming onto others.I think the work that you do is great and the time and effort you put in to do them is great too.Keep it up.Craig Kiltie

People will complain about *anything*. Don't get it a seconds thought, Mike -- most of us welcome and enjoy the wonderful work you do (and I, for one, am drooling at the thought of your goose, although somehow that sounds obscene).This reminds me of the old joke where the elderly (ethnic) couple is returning from a restaraunt. Their friend asks them how it was and the old lady says "The food was terrible! And such small portions!"

Mike, You have every right to be upset for getting such bashing. It never fails some idiot is gonna complain. I don't understand who these people are or what they are thinking. Don't let it get to you. I for one have not yet downloaded your latest work (No access on my sim computer yet) but from what I have seen of your work it is top quality stuff. Having all the latest avionics and fancy stuff on an airplane is not nessassary nor is it desirable all the time. I have some loaded airplanes and some that have more basic equiptment and for the pure fun of flying the basic equipped planes are easier to fly. I also like old fashioned navigation using VOR's and even (heaven forbid) ADF nav radios, and I don't even care if the autopilot works. Keep up the good work, there is always room for quality freeware no matter how the planes are equipped. After all, all it takes are wings and a powerplant and even that is optional!Ken

Hey MikeDon't give out your E-Mail address!!!! If someone wants to give you some grief let them do it here on the forum and we can weed out the A- HOLES here for ya!!!!!!!! Keep up the great work!RegardsWayneCYHZ

Hear! Hear! The man has every right to have heartburn over the bashing!Come on, folks. If you don't like Mike's airplanes, then don't download them. If you downloaded a few and they aren't your cup of tea, then go ahead and remove them from your hard disk. Ask for a refund. What... They were free? Then get a life. If you want a photreal, everything does what you want it to do, rockin' sounds, true to life avionics aircraft with a great .air file and true-to-life flight characteristics for free then build it yourself.The man puts out aircraft that are a joy to fly... and if I want a different panel for one, I'll go find it. Eye candy on the outside of an airplane's nice and all, but I do my flying from the pilot's POV. I don't get to see the outside of most of my birds.Standard Dennis Miller disclaimer applies (That's just my opinion, I could be wrong)B.

Mike,As you know I'm a huge fan. Don't listen to the people who want you to do the same as PSS and others for free.As for the models and quality - don't change a thing. I have told you how beautiful I think your creations are. Of course I have the advantage of changing air files and panels, but hey, so does everyone if that's what they want. ;-)Keep up the GREAT work and just ignore those people who think you have a whole team there to make fully-functional aircraft, panels, and bells and whistles.At least you know you've made the big time and gained the respect of many people when you start getting the angry "When are you going to make something better than PIC for free?" :-lolDamn, where's MY e-mails to do that? :-lol :-lolBesides, you have the lovely Anniette making wonderful repaints for your works. That's more than worth it right there. ;-)

And to make matters more fun, some that gripe the loudest steal the plane or parts/ideas, and/or re-paint it to death without asking and so on. I have seen the perfect plane though..several of them. I live next to KISZ. :-) Go Mike, you da man!(hmmm, but wait a minute. They only gripe about freeware. Make your next plane so that the "key" is their AOPA number!!!)

"Needless to say," or not, maybe you should add to the descriptions of your aircraft... "my aircraft don't have virtual cockpits, they don't have totally accurate avionics, every door and hatch doesn't open, every tiny little part on the plane doesn't have a (sic) photo-realistic textures."That might eliminate a lot of the complainers, 'ey?And especially those that are looking for fairly accurate avionics. Specify that that is not the case in the description, and your negative emails may go way down. I'm sure that a lot of people don't like taking the time downloading a plane, only to find that after taking the additional time with installing it, that it is essentially unflyable in the sense that they expect it to be.Just a suggestion that you may, or may not, want to consider.(BTW...before you even suggest it, I've never sent you an e-mail.)

I could say alot here but will anyway :)I just downloaded the new Project A320 to see what it was like and it is amazing it has Everything ,it is like a mineture a320 shrunk down by some amazing technologie (I know A320 well I see them built):)AS i said it is amazing but without wishing to offend the makers it will not replace my Mike Stone A320 for 1 second and the reason is something to do with the way a brain works if the Aircraft becomes that detailed ,you know it is a model where if it is impresionistic you can see it as real as real can be because that is how a brain works which is why you get lost in a impressionistic painting and feel you are there.Also as Scott said Now you got anniette on your side you can not loose,(or something like this)and look how smart Scott is !!!!There is only two people who make a aircraft I like to paint and you are number 1 ......and the Main part of my novel is this.......I paint aircraft that look nice and some people like them ,but they have no reflections and Alpha textures and 555 format ,they are in simple flat 256 colors and compared to many other painters they are real Ameteur and some people make sure they tell me this ,,,,but you can not please all the people so why not please the one that matter .I do not know you Real good but I know you are real good and I am still waiting everso patient for the Boeing 727 and am SO looking forward to it like Many others and I will paint it every way I want and This must make it all worth the effort?A Big Kiss to you and all you do !!!!!!!!!Anniette XXXXXXXXXXXXX Your No1 Fan

Having enjoyed the Beech 1900 and the many repaints, you just need to know that your aircraft are visually stunning--and I haven't managed to find the time to enjoy the Stratocruiser yet...But I almost wish you'd post an example of what you mean by what I like to call "nastygrams". I've received a fair number of those in relation to Landclass Assistant--all people wanting me to devote more time to that than to my family, or my job. But I recall sending you an internal Avsim note a couple of weeks back, simply asking if you've ever considered allowing parts such as props, wings, engines etc... to be visible from inside the cabin. I hope that's not the type of message you're referring to. When I started to release freeware, I considered it a given that people would forward suggestions. Those that get nasty are an occupational hazard--there are jerks everywhere, and people with a bit too much time on their hands as well. Whether it's aircraft design, or scenery design or design programs, we tend to be on the radar screens of such idiots. A recent email I received:"Your application could very well be a good one, but you need to rewrite your documentation. I've installed tons of scenery, and I know when documentation s*cks, if even I can't install it." But I get dozens of other emails saying "Thanks for giving us this product". Don't let the one or two jerks place you in a position where you feel that you have to defend your work. It speaks for itself, as is. -John

John,Absolutely not. Your note was quite civil. How did I reply to it? I did reply didn't I? I don't remember as I get a LOT of e-mail.As to the notes I'm talking about...."When are you going to start producing VC's for your aircraft? I have absolutely no use for an aircraft without a VC. You're planes would be OK if they had a VC"."I started repainting one of your planes when I realized that there aren't any textures on the landing gear struts. What good is an aircraft with parts that aren't textured?""I want to report a problem with your planes. The doors won't open. Please modify all of your aircraft immediately and make the doors open. Send me the results when you are done."These are the ones that are clean enough to be quoted.At least the last one did say please.Mike Stone

Sounds like the same folks who've been sending me nastygrams.... Even my two year old daughter has learned more tact than what's shown in those notes! :) Thanks for posting those.... Some of those folks probably read this forum, and might perhaps better understand how stupid and foolish such requests look, given that we work on these projects because we love the hobby....I'd rather have your A/C without a VC, and have something worthwhile and proud to show as a screenshot. -John

Mike,please, please keep producing them just the way we like them - as is!

I dont mind if your plane doors dont open in flight.I dont mind if you dont have a virtual cockpitI do mind though if Alpha stops repainting your planesI do mind if my PC blows up so I cant take my screenies anymore.Last thing...I think Mikes models are just fine as my pictures show.Thanks Mikes and thanks Anniette for painting these ones.Craig Kiltie

Did you know..............I used to fly ,then I started plane collecting ,then I started painting,Now I have become a collector of Craig Kiltie Screenshots :) When shall I fly again ..lolYou are the best Craig!! and If you could be so kind to do some more for Little old me for my collection ,I would be so happy ;)Anniette xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yup will do sometime Anniette.Im just trying to work out how many youve actually done so far.I know theres a few airbus's that you did also and also the ATR repaints. Craig

well said... just keep this in mind, almost every post or email where someone is bashing this or that , is probably some spoiled little 9 year old kid...

Sorry Craig its emmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........Thirty six !!!!!!!I am really sorry ...............lol Anniette xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mike,Just keep doing what you're doing (so well) and ingnore the static.I for one am extemely thankful for your contributions to this hobby as well as all the others who add to it. Most of us have middle of the road machines and lower. Your creations are just the right combination of realism and flyability. Not all of us can afford cutting edge systems especially since that edge is moving every 3 months. We've lost some great contributors just from the whining of a few spoiled brats.Again, Mike, thank you.Paul MartinChillicothe, Ohio