Sign in to follow this  
Guest Loiosh

Rolling t/o?

I really don

Guest hirnwut

Yeah. I experienced that too when I was a passenger on a 737 (and they were an hour late) they went on the rwy and had a t/o without a stop.But I thought I read in the PMDG manual a 747 had to come to a complete stop before taking off.Any real 747 pilot here?regards@lex

Anyone watch that night landing into Hong Kong from that same guy? Notice all the flashbulbs going off!

Eric 

I was on an SWA 737-300 a few weeks ago where the guy conducted a rolling takeoff that had to be at the limits of what's allowed - it was a *very* fast 90 degree turn onto 29R at KTUS...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Not that they will but it'd be interesting if Ryanair ever got a 747.Watching some of their 738's at EGCN, they make an F1 pit stop look slow :) Tim

Just had a flight with ryaniar from Stansted to Girona 2 days ago and the power started to go on when we were at least 45 degrees off the centre line and still turning. Don't see why they have to stop though. Aircraft usually stop because controllers don't give them takeoff permission until they have. When they are cleared for an immediate departure they tend to do a rolling T/O. George Watkinson-Yull

Guest hirnwut

>Just had a flight with ryaniar from Stansted to Girona 2 days>ago and the power started to go on when we were at least 45>degrees off the centre line and still turning. Don't see why>they have to stop though. Aircraft usually stop because>controllers don't give them takeoff permission until they>have. When they are cleared for an immediate departure they>tend to do a rolling T/O. >>George Watkinson-Yullwas that a 747 flight? in the 747 manual it says the airplane has to come to a complete stop.@lex

Guest pbn

I have also seen this on a SAS 767. The engines started to spool up while we were leaving taxiway A1 at EKCH, RWY 22R. If you are familiar with the airport you know there is a pretty long treshold before the runway starts. Needless to say we didn't use much of the actual runway before we were airborne. I don't think we were delayed a whole lot, but there were a very short turn around time in the other end, which might be the reason ? (before landing we were informed there would be used alot of thrust reverse, instead of braking to shorten the brakes cooling time)CheersPeter

"in the 747 manual it says the airplane has to come to a complete stop."There are lots of company-specific things in the PMDG manual... Must be a PMDG "thing"... ;)Why waste time and fuel if you've been cleared for takeoff? If you've been cleared for immediate takeoff after leaving the taxiway.... I wouldn't be stopping to check out the scenery :(Cheers.Q>

Guest hirnwut

:) yeah. but when flying with ai traffic, I like the fact that at least 2 airplanes on approach get a go-around only beacause I am parking on the runway :-lol good to know. next time I'll be quicker with the t/oregards@lex

Guest woottsbj25

Almost every time I've ben on small aircraft pilots have done a rolling takeoff, it's perfectly normal procedure, and is used a lot by low-cost airlines because it saves time and fuel. If you think about it, there's absolutley nothing unsafe about it as long as all the procedures have been completed correctly.Granted, I've not seen it done as much in larger aircraft, but I can't think of any reason that larger aircraft such as the 747 shouldn't be allowed to do rolling takeoffs - it's still an aircraft, after all :(

Just a theory, and different r/w companies have different operating procedures, but in a plane as heavy as a 747 it might have something to do with ensuring that all 4 engines are perfectly synchronised and alignment is spot on to avoid undue stresses on the airframe.Tim

Guest hotel mode

Definately no requirement for stopping on runway, it would be impossible at most airfields. Only requirement is sometimes in icing conditions to run engines at 60% N1 for 10 secs and this is easiest o do on the runway.

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Embraer 145 flight from EGPF - EGHI, felt like a hand-brake turn onto the runway via Taxiway B (so not even the full length of the runway)- throttles straight up before we were lined up - rotation 18 seconds after entering runway. Impressive eh ?Have experienced rolling starts on many occasions especially heavy charter holiday flights (737/757/767), although not in really big planes and not at larger airports - as someone else said - probably due to atc restrictions more than anything else.