Sign in to follow this  
Guest bobdole123

Need help with 747 FMC

Hi, I am just starting understand how to use the FMC in the Boeing 747 however there are a few things I need help with. 1)How to correctly use the approach feature (whenever I set an approach my aircraft won't follow it because it is not on the route)2)Is it possible to set your aircraft's location (longitude and latitude) in the via section. (If so can you explain how and you don't need to answer #1)3)When I select an approach I get the route disconnected at the top of the FMC and I am unable to fix it. If anyone could help my on any of those answers (and if you haven't figured it out if you just answer one of those it fixes my problem which is stated in #3) Thank you in advance (sorry for the trouble)!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Have you tried the tutorials? They are avail from the PMDG website. This would be a good place to start as there is a lot to learn and this way is realtively painless.CheersSteve

Along with the tutorials, I would simply start with the FMC Users guide as the answers to 2 if not all 3 questions is covered on how to set up the FMC manually for an Unplanned Approach, and how to enter custom LAT/LONG coordinates as waypoints.Sorry for not answering your question, but all you have to do is read the manual :)

Sorry for not stating this but I have read chapter 12 throughly and have done all 3 tutorials. I just need clarification on this specific problem with approaches, chapter 12 is a little small when it comes to approaches. So thanks for the responses but I just need this is answer that I have been looking for and trying to figure out for the past week.

It sounds to me like you are just experiencing disconnects in your flight plan. Just make sure that you scratchpad is cleared (Hold CLR), then select left LSK for the waypoint immediately below the DISCO, then click the left LSK for the DISCO.You want to resolve all DISCO's in your flightplan immediately. If waypoints are too close together, they won't resolve and you'll need to replan a bit or drop a waypoint.By the way, it's normal to get DISCOs in your flightplan, so don't worry about getting them. It's just a safety measure to ensure the pilot really wants to connect two sections of a flight plan together.And yes, you can set your LAT/LON (it's in the manual), but it's rarely done, except for some strange longhaul flightplans, like those over the poles.I hope that helps.Jared Smith