Sign in to follow this  
jazer

Does PMDG Simulates THIS?

Hey,Just Saw this picture today. And I've never seen such thing before. Well as stated as topic name, the question is: Does PMDG also Simulates this -> http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1043135/L/ Would be great if so, but again i've never seen this anywere before and i've read a lot of thing about Boeing AC....Cheers,Jacir van Wijk

Jacir,no this will not be simulated, at least not on the MD-11. What you see there is the Terrain Display test. That's something where a desktop simulator just is not good enough. You COULD simulate it in theory (like Lago on MadDog) but the frame rate loss makes it unflyable. Too bad actually, it would be a nice feature, but just not possible in a good way in MSFS.RegardsMarkus

Markus Burkhard

Paul,no the old standby gauges do not show LOC or GS information, only the new one does.Yes those kinds of messages will be fully modelled, they are called "Consequences" on the MD-11 and are even more impressive than on the Airbus.But we'll leave the greasy fingerprints out if that's all right with you ;)Markus

Markus Burkhard

Oops, disregard the one with LOC and GS information, the new standby instrument (SFDS) is also NOT capable of doing this. I must have had another airplane in mind :)Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Jacir.... The PMDG 744 doesn't simulate any CMC (Central Maintenance Computer) functions.The test pattern is generated when carrying out an "Enhanced" GPWS (Ground Proximity Warning System) CMC Ground Test.Enhanced GPWS includes a Terrain warning function which draws landforms on the Nav Display using a contour type display (using different colours for different heights). The colours reflect different levels of danger.EGPWS uses GPS and a worldwide terrain database to generate the displays. The CMC Test (among other things) shows that all the colours are being generated properly. The EGPWS display is like a Weather Radar "raster" display.EPGWS is not modelled in PMDG.Cheers.Q>

Hi Q,I have ever heard a File that sounds like: "Caution Terrain, Caution Terrain" and Also "Terrain Ahead, terrain Ahead"One of these in in the PMDG sound folder, but I haven't actually ever heard them in FS Never! So am I a good pilot or isn't it just modelled? (But the sound file is in it's folder and plays with WMP)About future PDMG prods, will the EGPWS be moddelled? (With FSX?)And Is FSX able to make a realistic Wheater radar? ( if so, does PMDG have plans to include this?)And the last question how about the different Sound files Heard when at or approaching decision heigt:1. "Approaching minimums" - "Minimums"2. "Approaching Decision Heigt" - "Decision Heigt"I've rarely heard the second call. What is the difference? Between these and is there a chance the 2nd call will be implemented as companies choice?This IS the last :( :How about the thirth FMC in The 744 (rear pedestal)Does anybody has info about how it works. And i'm specially looking for the special things of it (things he can while the CApt and FO's can't) Just like PA'? Cabin call? I'd like to know how this works etc.Sorry for all the question,Tough thanks for all the replies in advance.Best Regards,Jacir

"I have ever heard a File that sounds like: "Caution Terrain, Caution Terrain" and Also "Terrain Ahead, terrain Ahead"One of these in in the PMDG sound folder, but I haven't actually ever heard them in FS Never! So am I a good pilot or isn't it just modelled? (But the sound file is in it's folder and plays with WMP)"Jacir...I recall that the recordings for the GPWS in PMDG were taken from an aircraft fitted with EGPWS. However, since the PMDG 744 doesn't have a terrain database, it is not likely you will hear the aurals you mentioned ;)"About future PDMG prods, will the EGPWS be moddelled? (With FSX?). And Is FSX able to make a realistic Weather radar? ( if so, does PMDG have plans to include this?)"Since I am not a representative of PMDG, you would have to ask PMDG about these. Having said that, they are not likely to comment until a full evaluation of FSX has been made. As has previously been stated, Weather Radar and EGPWS-like systems impose a heavy burden on your computer's processor. Frame rates would probably be too low with systems like these in operation (Other sims may have these features, but they probably don't already have the frame(rate)-heavy complexity of the 744) BTW, there have been numerous, often contentious message threads on this topic. I am not going to start another one.And the last question how about the different Sound files Heard when at or approaching decision heigt:1. "Approaching minimums" - "Minimums"2. "Approaching Decision Heigt" - "Decision Heigt""I've rarely heard the second call. What is the difference? Between these and is there a chance the 2nd call will be implemented as companies choice?"Optional Radio Altimeter callouts are also on MY wishlist. However, there are about 30 options available to real world customers, and it may not be possible to get sound recordings for all of them.Approaching minimums is one of the options for the "Decision Height plus 100 feet" callout. Approaching Decision Height is "Decision Height plus 80 feet. If an airline chooses to have both (don't know why it would), you may not hear both sounds with high V/S's."This IS the last :How about the thirth FMC in The 744 (rear pedestal)Does anybody has info about how it works."The third MCDU on the pedestal doesn't normally have an FMC selection, but I've heard, optionally, it can have in the real world. The 3rd MCDU operates just like the other two. It may have additional functions like "ACMS" (Aircraft Conditioning Monitoring System), but modelling this is pointless in a desktop sim. Even as a RW 744 aircraft maintenance engineer, I don't think I've used this function more than a couple of times in the last 10 years. There is also Satcom, Central Maintenance Computer, etc, on the 3rd MCDU, but some of these functions operate from the front two MCDU's anyway (optionally).I don't think there is any real advantage having 3 FMC-ready MCDU's. Pilots are already warned not to use the FMC at the same time from their respective CDU's." And i'm specially looking for the special things of it (things he can while the CApt and FO's can't)"The CMC functions of the MCDU are much too complex to be discussed here.... probably more complex than all the other systems combined. The only way you're going to know how complex it is, is to become an airline engineer yourself ;) "Just like PA'? Cabin call? I'd like to know how this works etc"I assume you're referring to the Audio Selector Panels? (and perhaps the Cabin Interphone Call Panel on the aft of the pedestal? I can't say I've seen any info on the internet about these, but their operation is fairly straightforward:The 3 Audio Selector Panels operate in conjuction with the Radio Control Panels ("Comms panels" in MSFS vernacular). The square buttons on the audio panels are for selecting the system you want to talk(transmit) on .. i.e. VHF L/R/C, HF L/R, PA, CABin INT, FLT INTerphone and L/R Satcom (Note that you can only select one system at a time). You will need to use one of three types of push-to-talk switches/buttons to actually transmit on the selected comms system. These can be found in various locations (there is a toggle switch on the Audio panel itself). The Center VHF system is mostly used by the ACARS system for data transmission, but if you really wanted to, you could use it as a backup VHF comms system.The smaller round pushbuttons are for selecting the radio you want to listen to. You can select as many of these as you like, but it would get a little noisy if you selected all of them. The round pushbuttons also control volume. They light up when selected.There is a V-B-R switch for filtering the received navaid audio (in case you're having trouble hearing the IDENT or VOICE element of the navaid).To call a flight attendant using the Cabin Interphone system, you need to figure out which attendant station to call, then push the appropriate code on the Cabin Interphone Call Panel. You can use either your headset/mic/boomset or a dedicated Cabin Interphone handset (located on the back of the pedestal) to speak/listen to the attendant. To use your headset/mic/boomset, you have to select CAB INT on the Audio Selector Panel, the round pushbutton volume control and a suitable Push-To-Talk switch.Anyway, that probably covers the basics. A lot of these functions are not modelled in PMDG, so there is probably no point going into this kind of stuff in any depth, but i hope this helps.Cheers.Q>

Guest 737767

Hi,it means lavatory priority. By activating the button, the lavatory on the upper deck will become acessible only for the cockpit crew. However, exit from the lav is not inhibited. I found this info on meriweathers homepage - he virtually describes every switch in the 747 cockpit :) Andreas HermesEDDHhttp://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m191/AHermes/lsd2.jpg[/img]http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

For Q:Why shouldn't/can't both pilots use the FMC's simulatneously? Also does this pertain to data entry, or just switching pages?For Andreas Hermes:How does that lav priority thing work? Does the toilet ask for a password or something? :)Paul

"Why shouldn't/can't both pilots use the FMC's simulatneously? Also does this pertain to data entry, or just switching pages?"Data entry only... I've heard the FMC can lock up if you try to do two things at once."How does that lav priority thing work? Does the toilet ask for a password or something?"From memory, it illuminates the Toilet Occupied sign (not the door sign, but the sign on the bulkhead) which discourages people walking towards the toilet area.Cheers.Q>

"From memory, it illuminates the Toilet Occupied sign..."Never rely on memory :( Just found some details on the system... It does include a solenoid operated lock... with a circuit which includes time delays, infrared motion detectors,...Horribly complicated 8-)Cheers.Q>

Guest 737767

this is what I found at www.meriweather.com: LAV PRI ON Light Comes on to indicate the forward upper deck Lavatory door is locked with LAV PRI mechanism.LAV PRI Button Turns on the ON light on the passenger sign module and activates a lock on the forward upper deck Lavatory for crew use. The lock does not prevent opening the Lavatory door from the inside. the solenoid lock seems to be used for the flight deck door mecanism... Both switches may have a just marginal importance in the 747 panel simulation :)regards Andreas HermesEDDHhttp://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m191/AHermes/lsd2.jpg[/img]http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg