Sign in to follow this  
strider

PMDG 737's and VC?

Do the PMDG 737's offer the ability to turn off VC to improve texture loading when flying in 2D mode? If so, are 2D cockpit views provided? Thanks!

Yes. Each variant can be loaded either 2D or 3D cockpit or with Cabin (which I have never tried or care about). In 2D mode, you can still cycle throught the views (cockpit, 3D cockpit, tower, wingman) but in 3D cockpit all you'll see are the wings and engines as you pan around. I never fly in 3D mode but not for frame rates, just simple preference.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks Dan. I went back and re-read the information and found the bit about being able to choose 2D cockpit...not 30 seconds ago! LOL! I also avoid VC cockpits like the Plague. I find the whole "panning" time to find a button unrealistic (even with PAN_RATE=800), finding your forward view, again, after the switching is complete and just about everything about VC to be too slow compared to real eye-hand coordination. The MAIN issue I have with VC models is the performance hit, even in 2D mode. I don't see an issue with FPS so much as I do with texture loading delays when using a VC aircraft in 2D. That's probably my #1 pet peeve with FS and VC. So what the heck are we going to do with FSX, Dan? It doesn't have the capability to "turn off" VC and allow 2D bitmaps...all views are from the VC only (although you can "snap" to a view instead of panning). That, and the fact that it looks like so much more "eye-candy" instead of my wished for performance improvements, has convinced me that I'll be flying FS9 for quite a while, yet! FS9 may be my last foray into MSFS if my fears about FSX performance prove to be true. Not to mention the fact that a new system is required to "get the most" from FSX? I think I'll just sit back and watch what develops...a first for me when it comes to FS releases. Vic