Sign in to follow this  
Guest ha5mvo

extending the dashed line

Guest ha5mvo

Hi,Is there a way to extend the white dashed line of the departure/arrival runway to a distance of my choice?I know one can set the airport as a fix and set distance and bearing, the question is wether I can do something similar for a runway or change the length of the dashed line that comes up once the runway is selected.Oh, and I'm refering to both 747 and 737 FMCs

No way to extend that actual white line, but you can enter the runway's ILS identifier into the FIX page and create an extended centerline that way...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Name ??:You can get an extended runway centerline in your ND of any length you wish. Once you have selected an arriving runway in your FMC, you'll get a "rwy.ext" prompt on the left hand side. Enter the distance you desire in Nmiles. ACTivate the change, clear any DISContinuity and there you have your line !.jose Luis.

Dear No Name!!Another alternative is to set up an 'Extended Centerline':1. Place the a/c into a HDG Mode (& an alternative to VNAV if applicable) & then LINE SEL an approach waypoint on the magenta line (& overlaid on the dashed line) to the top of your LEGS Page ensuring that you enter a INBD CRS the same as the inbound HDG of your arrival RWY (effectively similar to a DIR INTC).2. Aim to INTC the LOC on a HDG which will ensure a clean LOC capture decending in an appropriate A/P mode to arrive at the platform height prior to the FAF & below the G/S as published on your approach plate.It seems to be a standard procedure in the real world, but be advised that it does increase your workflow at a busy stage of the flight.RegardsSteve B

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Guest ha5mvo

Thanks for the responses.Jose, correct me if I'm wrong, but your suggested method will create an actual fix or an extra leg in your plan rather than an extended centerline.Ryan & Steve.So basically what I need to do, is look for an identifier/fix located on the extended centerline and use it a an "anchor" to "draw" my reference line. For that purpose, there's no way I can use the runway itself as the "anchor" - is that correct?Thanks//Michael

Michael,In the RW I am pretty sure you can LSK the RWY to the top of the legs page, thus drawing your magenta line as the INTC CRS (RWY inbound HDG), but I must admit I have not tried that in the 'sim'.I'll give it a try today.Steve B

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

>Jose, correct me if I'm wrong, but your suggested method will>create an actual fix or an extra leg in your plan rather than>an extended centerline.Michael, you wil get the three things:1.- An actual fix at your selected distance from the runway.2.- An extra leg. The last one of your flight plan.3.- A PERFECTLY ALIGNED runway centerline extension.You chase three birds with an only shot. Lucky man you are !Jose Luis.

>Once you have selected an arriving runway in your FMC, you'll>get a "rwy.ext" prompt on the left hand side. Sorry, my mistake: In the 744 the "rwy.ext" prompt is on the right (LSK-3R).Jose Luis.

Guest ha5mvo

>Michael, you wil get the three things:>>1.- An actual fix at your selected distance from the runway.>2.- An extra leg. The last one of your flight plan.>3.- A PERFECTLY ALIGNED runway centerline extension.>>You chase three birds with an only shot. Lucky man you are !>Indeed I am Jose, indeed I am...and I keep counting my blessings daily..LOLThough one little thing...that's not how its done in real world practice, or is it?

>Though one little thing...that's not how its done in real>world practice, or is it?Well, I am afraid that real world practice is very much rich and varies from one company to another and from one airport to another.Anyway, the 744 FMC is equiped with that powerful tool that permits to create a "virtual localizer" for any runway in the database.Jose Luis.