Sign in to follow this  
Guest mcalpinep

STAB fuel tanks ?

Guest mcalpinep

Are the STAB fuel tanks ever used in 744, currently flying VHHH-EGLL > 6000Km with pretty much a full fuel load but the STAB tanks are always empty. Just wondering ??.Regards,Phil McAlpine.

With a full fuel load the tanks will be used.. but the fuel is pumped from the stab to the centre tank.. so if you don't look quite early on in the flight you won't see anything in there.. :)CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Some 744s do not have stab tanks, such as some of the BA 744 "lights". I think this was to reduce weight for aircraft that never did sectors that required the stab tanks. I think that's the case anyway.

Rudy Fidao

Not only does our airline use the Stab Tank, we also have to use an Auxilliary tank in the Fwd Cargo on our Extended Range 744's. We have Melbourne/Sydney to Los Angeles/San Francisco flights which tend to explore the limits of the 744 (depending on winds/weight).Cheers.Q>

>Not only does our airline use the Stab Tank, we also have to>use an Auxilliary tank in the Fwd Cargo on our Extended Range>744's. We have Melbourne/Sydney to Los Angeles/San Francisco>flights which tend to explore the limits of the 744 (depending>on winds/weight).Qantas has flights from Melbourne to the US West Coast too? I just found my next Long Haul flight! Now if only I had a B744ER:(.Back to the original topic though. I myself fly some pretty long flights including flying between EGLL and VHHH and very rarely use my STAB tanks. You'll have to fly a pretty long flight before you need those tanks. In fact, my longest flight with my VA (QF149 YSSY-KLAX 13.6h) is probably only the fourth time I used my STAB tanks.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Ryan Gamurot