Sign in to follow this  
craig_read

Oasis Hong Kong DVD thoughts..

Hello all,I recently took delivery of the Oasis Hong Kong Airlines 747-400 DVD from simmarket and thought I'd share my thoughts on it.Well for starters I must say this is an excellent DVD, it contains over 200 minutes of footage, the majority of which is technical. Both the flights from Hong Kong to Gatwick and the return are covered in the DVD, the majority of the footage is taken on the flight to Gatwick. The captains (yes there are two) take you through the various panels, PFD, NB, EICAS etc in detail and talk you through most of what they're doing.. You are then taken through the various panels, fairly quickly really without too much in depth detail but just enough.I thought all in all this was a good purchase, the only part I thought might be missing, was a detailed look at the FMC which wasn't covered in a lot of detail. But the OFFSET function was explained and demonstrated. If you liked the Virgin Atlantic DVD you'll like this, it's very good value for money and I personally would recommend it.On another note... There were some interesting things though, like for example the hydraulics page on the lower EICAS seemed to have a bunch of messages displayed in amber.. Corresponding to the various services the different hydraulic systems provide no doubt.. (example messages; BODY GEAR, AUTOPILOT C, L OUTB ELV, NOSE GEAR STEERING, THRUST REV, all above Hyd system 1) This is not modelled on the PMDG 747-400.. And I imagine a few other features of the real thing aren't modelled quite the same..I think a previous post was put up detailing things that were not included within the PMDG sim of the 747.. Some of this 747-400 functionality that isn't included would be great as an upgrade if you guys ever had some free time to get around to it.. And an upgrade I, and I am sure many others, would happily pay for..Anyway.. Thought I'd let you guys know.. CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Craig,Totally agree with your comments...especially enjoyed the particular rte planning issues whils flying over high MSAs through China/CIS & the track shortening issues on the way into HKG...a must for all fans of the 'Queen'.I suspect the HYD PAGE features you have described were a cutomer option that the original owners of B-LFA (SQ) elected to have.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

You can get it from simmarket... be prepared for a long wait.. mine took best part of a month to get here..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Craig, I purchased the DVD on your recommendations. I have been able to watch the first half hour and it appears I may not be able to get and use the flight plan they did. I would like to re-create the flight in the PMDG744. By chance would you or anyone else for that matter have the flightplan. I see Oasis Hong Kong is not regestered at Flightaware, so that's out. If all else fails I could use a generic FP. Thanks,Ken

I found this one........for the time been. It looks like it's their first flight FP. Here it is for anyone else wanted to refly it in the PMDG744!airborn time 1715touchdown 0510(FPL-OHK700-IS-B744/H-SDGHIRWXY/C-VHHH1650-K0954S0960 BEKO3A BEKOL A461 YIN G586 QP B330 YBL B215FKG/K0915S1080 A368 SARIN/K0919S1060 A368 KRG A95 ATBAN G111TITUR G351 MGR G234 KZN A300 GOLIR/K0930S1160 A300 MF DCT ITINA DCT RW DCT VINLI DCT BP DCT AR DCT BG R805 TU R11 OPOKA/N0496F380UM869 LIE UM864 KOLJA UM611 ALS UN872 PAM UL980 REFSO UY76 KOPUL-EGKK1156 EGSS EGCC-EET/ZGZU0009 ZPKM0100 ZLHW0201 ZWUQ0335 UASS0453 UACC0532USCM0651 UWUU0708 UWKD0731 UUWV0806 ULOL0916 EVRR0929 EYVL1006ESAA1009 EKDK1033 EDVV1046 EDVV1047 EHAA1104 EGTT1132REG/BLFC SEL/MRBH OPR/OASIS HONG KONG DAT/S RVR/550RMK/UPDATED SELCALL ONLY)Ken