Sign in to follow this  
ahaka

747-400 FMC programming problem after go around

Hello ladies and gentlemen,Today I was flying the famous tricky approach to Madeira airport (LPMA), and due to slightly high speed and altitude on final had to go around. After a while I switch on AP and engage heading and FLCH modes to bring me to 3000 feet and continue on runway heading. Soon after that I set the LNAV to fly and HOLD AT fix FUNOR. While on the hold I was trying to reprogram the approach, but encountered trouble.First, I reselect the approach from DEP/ARR page, but that gives me a discontinuity. I try to fill the dicontinuity and the execute light illuminates but the gap is not filled, even after hitting the execute the dicontinuity still persists. It also seems to have the approach twice on the legs page, separated with another dicontinuity.I tried all possible solutions I'm aware of to reprogram the approach, but never managed to fill the discontinuity or delete the double waypoints properly. Finally I just gave up and fly VFR!If any of you could make out anything of what I'm trying to say, do you know if this is either a simulator issue, or does the real 747 work like this too? Or am I just not knowing what to do?How can I properly re-program the approach?Thank you in advance.

Although I haven't tried this, maybe I can give it a good guess.While in the holding, you are effectively still in the approach that you just missed because the hold sequence is a part of the approach (at least in the code).My suggestion is you exit the hold on a heading, then try reselecting an approach. You might have to enter a waypoint between you and the IAF, but I suspect that this is the general direction to go.Real world ATC will give you vectors from the hold to the IAF, I'm suggesting that you simulate this.Hope it helps.

Dan Downs KCRP