Sign in to follow this  
Guest Logan826

Autobrakes and auto throttle

Guest Logan826

I'm following one of the tutorials (sp) on learning to fly this bird and one of them, It's lesson 2 by Tim Metzinger, great lessons BTW. Anyway, lesson 2 has you execute an aborted takeoff. I followed the lesson on setting up the plane, but the autobrakes never came on when I pulled the throttles back to idle. One other question, why does engine one (left) emit a buzzing sound sometimes when I'm pushing the throttles foward ? I'm sorry, these questions are for the 737ng ;)Thanks in advance, Dan Kern

The only two reasons I can think of for the autobrakes are that you either weren't going faster than 80kts before you aborted or you didn't have the autobrake selector in RTO. About the buzzing sound, what kind of buzzing sound? And is it only temporary like only during spool up or does it go on and on?Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Dan,When you load the lessons, make sure you have to set the autobrake in the RTO-position, as this will not be saved with the lesson! (Its a known issue).

Guest Logan826

Thanks for the replies, I had the switch in RTO and I was going 100kts (per the lesson). The lessons says not to push the TOGO button. Could this have been a misprint ? I did have the autothrottle armed, but did not hit the TOGO button. As for the buzzing. Once I advance the throttles past about 40% this buzzing starts and doesn't stop until I pull the throttles back. It's almost like on the taxi-lock on the Flight-1 ATR42. Atleast that's what it seems like except it's a horn instead of a physical lock. Thanks, Dan

Dan,about the sound, i am sure you are in take-off configuration - at least flaps 10 or 20 and parking brake off ?For de autobrakes not coming up, another possibility : in the PMDG-menu there is an option : "A/P Controls Override Option" => make sure you have selected the right option.As i understand well in your case, the option may NOT be selected.If they are selected, you have to use an keyboard assignment available in the PMDG-menu for initiating a rejected T/O!

I think they didn't want you hitting TOGA because you would have to disconnect the Auto-Throttle before you could pull back on the thrust levers. In the real aircraft, there's disconnect switches on the throttle itself. Unless you have a joystick button programmed for this function, it's not as easy.As for the buzzing, I really don't know why you would have that. Maybe someone else has an answer.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Guest Logan826

I will check on the options menu and see if that's not the problem with the brakes. You mentioned something about setting up a joystick command for this. I have the full blown CH setup so I should be able to find a key for that. LOL I just don't remember seeing a key for that. As for the T/O config, for this lesson they are calling for 5 flaps. I will try 10 or 20 and see if the buzzing goes away. I beleive you may be right on that as everything I've read so far states at least 10 flaps. Thanks again for the replies, I'll report back after another test a little later this evening.Dan

Dan,Maybe a stupid detail, but make sure your throttle is at idle when initiating RTO !!!

Guest Logan826

Guys, Thanks for all the replies. I got the brakes working, I think they were working before, but I didn't have the autothrottle armed. As for the horn. It turns out that 10% flaps seems to be min take-off flaps. The Lesson say to use 5% but that causes the horn to go off.Thanks, Dan

Dan,Flap regime for take off on the NG is Flaps 1 to Flaps 20 anything outside of that should give you the configuration warning.Hope it helps,

I've set the flaps to 5* and never had a warning horn. I set up the FMC and all the other settings, hit the TOGO switch and have not had the horn go off. So it's diffulcult to say what is happening with your system. Sorry I'm not able to provide an answer but just wanted to let you know that it is done as per manual without warnings.Jim

Guest Logan826

Uh, then I wonder what's giving me the take-off config warning if I have anything less then 10* flaps ??Dan

Guest Logan826

Same setup. I setup according to the lesson plan and anything below 10* flaps I get a warning. I wonder if it's the weight setup that is plugged into the FMC.Dan