Sign in to follow this  
BAW9DV

Out-Of-Memory errors - now I need specific help on this

Hi Folks,Firstly, I appreciate the responses of TABs and others who have made suggestions in another thread and my thnaks for that. I also appreciate that the PMDG testers have not been able to re-create this problem with the Queen or the 737.However, I have been a long time customer of PMDG and I have the 737 Full set as well as the 747-400 and Freighter. I will be purchasing the 747-400X for FSX when my new PC system is built early next year when the Vista issues have been sorted out hopefully by the Service Pack that is due and also when the DX10 issue is also solved.Now I have started to have these shutdowns regularly over the last 5 to 6 months and cannot find an answer. I have upgraded my system RAM to 2GB (all matched) and regularly defrag the HDD with Diskeeper. I'm now looking for imformed suggestions as to what I can do to alleviate this issue.I have a second HDD internal 7200rpm drive (80GB) and I have been advised that putting a fresh iinstall of FS9.1 onto that drive and not on the C: drive as it is currently, would help alot with virtual memory and the swap file system. I have an ATI Radion X800XT 256MB card in my PC as well and I have the standard video drivers that came on the CD three years ago (age of the PC) installed. I'm thinking seriously about installing the newer and supposedly better Omega Catalyst 7.4 drivers for my card to try to improve things.Any ideas and comments would be welcomed as to how I could solve this problem.System Specs:-Penium 4, 3.4Ghz CPUAsus Mobo2GB DDR RAMX800XT ATI RadionWD 250GB C: HDD & Seagate 80GB F: HDDWindows XP Pro all updated19" Illyama flat panel monitorDesktop resolution - 1280x1024FS resolution - 1280x1024I fly online mostly with VATSIM - SB3, ActiveSky 6.5 FS9.1 BAV ACARs (in-house flight monitor utility) all running on the one PC.Thanks for listening,kind regards,Lee James

Lee James
Desktop Pilot - www.virtualairlinepilot.org

Instagram - virtualairlinepilot_lee
Check out my Adventure Videos & FS Reviews on YouTube at VirtualAirlinePilot !

spacer.png

Lee:The OOM issue has plagued many. The patch results have been spotty, and enforce the 2 gig limitation. Results with Vista are so varied and inconsistent that MS is offering a roll-back to XP Pro- may I suggest you take advantage of it? I too was running Vista Ultimate, but now run XP Pro and couldn't be happier. My best guess is that DX10, when finally released, will have XP support. I am also guessing the cessation of OEM XP licensing, scheduled for Jan 08 will not occur.As far as sim installation, I can tell you that default is always better for performance with FS9 and FSX.Please remember, both are opinions- mine. I am sure there are others! I run FS9 on my PC, wideFS and SB3, with BA ACARS on a wirelessly networked laptop that also masquerades as my Boeing Information Flight-Bag ;).It is an honor to have you here with us. I love your signature banner and would like to discuss it with you. My email address is cavaricooper@tampabay.rr.com - please send me an email so we can correspond.Respectfully,Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Hello Carl,>The OOM issue has plagued many. The patch results have beenspotty, and enforce the 2 gig limitation. Results with Vista are so varied and inconsistent that MS is offering a roll-back to XP Pro- may I suggest you take advantage of it? I too was running Vista Ultimate, but now run XP Pro and couldn't be happier. My best guess is that DX10, when finally released, will have XP support. I am also giuessing the cessation of OEM XP licensing, scheduled for Jan 08 will not occur.800/900 variant, the 747-400 and the 74F - in that order if I remember rightly. Going to try it this afternoon.>>As far as sim installation, I can tell you that default is always better for performance with FS9 and FSX. Please remember, both are opinions- mine. I am sure there are others! I run FS9 on my PC, wideFS and SB3, with BA ACARS on a wirelessly networked laptop that also masquerades as my Boeing Information Flight-Bag ;).<>It is an honor to have you here with us. I love your signature banner and would like to discuss it with you. My email address is cavaricooper@tampabay.rr.com - please send me an email so we can correspond.<speedbirdonline.co.uk Take care.cheers,Lee

Lee James

spacer.png

Lee:Sorry- I have not heard of OOM errors with XP, only with Vista. No idea, other than you try that full reinstall.As far as the default location I'm referring to C:program filesmicrosoft games (with all your addons).In re. to the wide FS issue and wireless networking, I would be glad to assist. See you via email!CarlBest-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Lee-My answer is going to be marvelously unhelpful- and for that I apologize....A while back we were getting frantic reports from folks who thought the PMDG 747-400 was creating OOM conditions. After about nine months of searching for answers, we were able to nail down two causes:1) Bad AFCAD implementations in some user scenery. (One was KEWR- but i don't recall the author...) Whenever a complex addon requiring significant system resources (PMDG, LDS, for example) was used going into this place- an OOM would occur. Swapping out the bad AFCAD would eliminate the problem.2) (disclaimer- my recollection here is fuzzy- so if anyone has better data- please add...) Ultimate Scenery V1.0(?) had some areas where something was causing OOM conditions similar to what i described above. There was an update issued- and the problem went away....I offer both of these in case either triggers an "ah-HA!" moment...It has been our experience that OOM errors are caused mostly by scenery implementations gone wrong- or in the case of us poor Vista users- by poor programming of the Windows Vista platform.(I'm currently on Vista- and will likely revert to XP because of the horrible things it does to FSX/FS9...)I'm sorry I can't be more helpful- but keep plugging your cause here- somebody will have an answer for you... I'm certain of that.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

>2) (disclaimer- my recollection here is fuzzy- so if anyone>has better data- please add...) Ultimate Scenery V1.0(?) had>some areas where something was causing OOM conditions similar>to what i described above. There was an update issued- and>the problem went away....It was actually the FS9 version of Ultimate Terrain USA - the BGLs were referencing non-existent files hundreds of times per second. Allen issued a patch for it...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest sparksnmagic

I've gotten the OOM error with XP Pro, after 4+ hrs of flight, in the 737NG. Some sites tie this to glitches in scenery, which implies it's not aircraft-specific. However, one thing I did try, with (so far) hopeful results, is I abandoned using the VC version of the 737NG. So far, so good. Time will tell.

Whoops!Jeez, Robert! Never quite expected you to jump in - but my sincere thanks that you have....>>My answer is going to be marvelously unhelpful- and for that Iapologize.... A while back we were getting frantic reports from folks who thought the PMDG 747-400 was creating OOM conditions. After about nine months of searching for answers, we were able tonail down two causes:1) Bad AFCAD implementations in some user scenery. (One was KEWR- but i don't recall the author...) Whenever a complex addon requiring significant system resources (PMDG, LDS, for example) was used going into this place- an OOM would occur. Swapping out the bad AFCAD would eliminate the problem.2) (disclaimer- my recollection here is fuzzy- so if anyone has better data- please add...) Ultimate Scenery V1.0(?) had some areas where something was causing OOM conditions similar to what i described above. There was an update issued- and the problem went away....I offer both of these in case either triggers an "ah-HA!" moment...It has been our experience that OOM errors are caused mostly by scenery implementations gone wrong- or in the case of us poor Vista users- by poor programming of the Windows Vista platform. (I'm currently on Vista- and will likely revert to XP because of the horrible things it does to FSX/FS9...) I'm sorry I can't be more helpful- but keep plugging your cause here- somebody will have an answer for you... I'm certain of that.<

Lee James

spacer.png

Hi,>>I've gotten the OOM error with XP Pro, after 4+ hrs of flight, in the 737NG. Some sites tie this to glitches in scenery, which implies it's not aircraft-specific. However, one thing I did try, with (so far) hopeful results, is I abandoned using the VC version of the 737NG. So far, so good. Time will tell.<. Can anyone just add any advice of the best memory or virtual memory configuration I should have? WindowsXP Pro and 2GB of system RAM here.It has been 3 years since I installed FS9 (except for the 9.1 update).Thanks for your imput here - its appreciated.cheers,Lee

Lee James

spacer.png

Lee,if it helps any, I also had my very first OOM just the other day - also coming in to land on the new Simwings LHR. First time it happened in an A-320, yesterday it happened with PMDG B-744 after a looooong flight from SEA. When the OOM occurred, my page file usage according to Task manager was 1.18GB (I have 2GB of RAM). I managed to save the flight & panel state before pressing "OK" to the OOM message - yes, it is possible! I then reloaded the flight and ended it successfully. I don't want to point a finger at anyone, but it does seem that the OOM could be related to the new LHR scenery and not the B-744. To further confuse matters, I made almost 20 flights into LHR without a glitch. In all sorts of complex aircraft, including some 8-10 flights in the PMDG B-738 and B-739. Go figure... :)What to do? I have no clue, for starters I will have Filemon active to see if there's a file missing while flying into LHR.I'll say again: I have NEVER had an OOM before and I fly almost all complex add-on aircraft into some very dense AI populated areas.Regards,Jure

Jure,>>if it helps any, I also had my very first OOM just the other day - also coming in to land on the new Simwings LHR. First time it happened in an A-320, yesterday it happened with PMDG B-744 after a looooong flight from SEA. When the OOM occurred, my page file usage according to Task manager was 1.18GB (I have 2GB of RAM). I managed to save the flight & panel state before pressing "OK" to the OOM message - yes, it is possible! I then reloaded the flight and ended it successfully.<< Yes, I use Autosave which will automatically save the whole flight situation for me. But it means a reboot of the PC and reload of the flight and usually I have to re-set LNAV (LNAV has this annoying habit of not intercepting the trackline unless you select HDG SEL and fly away from the track then fly back towards it and re-engage LNAV!). Often to get back to where I was, with the PC reboot and setting up the situation again, takes about 8 minutes. The other thing is that I'm almost always online with VATSIM and about to turn finals - so I simply cannot re-appear in the last position (or anywhere near the airport for that matter!) with ATC and other traffic online (worse than appearing on a runway!) so yes, I end up landing offline mostly to complete the flight .... Spoils the whole thing really. Last nights flight from Sharm-El-Sheikh really chewed me out and I kind of just quit and went down stairs to discuss it with the wife (yeah right ... !)>>I don't want to point a finger at anyone, but it does seem that the OOM could be related to the new LHR scenery and not the B-744. To further confuse matters, I made almost 20 flights into LHR without a glitch. In all sorts of complex aircraft, including some 8-10 flights in the PMDG B-738 and B-739. Go figure... :)<>What to do? I have no clue, for starters I will have Filemon active to see if there's a file missing while flying into LHR.<I'll say again: I have NEVER had an OOM before and I fly almost all complex add-on aircraft into some very dense AI populated areas.<

Lee James

spacer.png

Guest pamber

Re new LHR scenery - a version 1.1 was released a few days after the original 1.0 -Are you using the latest version -just a thought!394.pngBernie Lonnen

Bernie,Yes, I use the latest LHR, v.1.1. Now, I am not saying that LHR is to blame here, but it is a bit strange that OOM should only occur here. Lee,I understand what you're saying. It is annoying to have one's flight abruptly terminated like this! >>I have had the 744 since it came out and have hundreds of hours on it flying everywhere. Same here! I think it's a combination of two or more factors. Clearly, the B-744 is highly complex and my PF is regularly over 1Gb when flying her. But I never had problems before...Anyway, if you wish to check for missing files which could be called over and over again by the sim, download Filemon here:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...sk/Filemon.mspxIt is very simple to use and you can easily filter out unwanted data. I pinpointed a missing .fx file like this once. >> Your talking to the original 5 frames per second pilot! Back in the days of FS5.1 (remember that? First CD version!) this is what I was flying in! Ah! Do you remember Sublogic's Flight simulator for C64 and later for the Amiga? That's what I started flying with! The good ol' days... :)But I digress...>>Thanks for your input my friend,You're most welcome, Lee! We can move this conversation to e-mail, if you wish, so we don't use the bandwidth here - it clearly isn't PMDG B744's fault, I think that we have established that much. You can reach me at jure(dot)dolanec(at)siol(dot)netCheers!Jure

Hello Bernie,>>Re new LHR scenery - a version 1.1 was released a few days after the original 1.0 -Are you using the latest version -just a thought!<

Lee James

spacer.png

Hi again Jure,>>I understand what you're saying. It is annoying to have one's flight abruptly terminated like this!<>Same here! I think it's a combination of two or more factors. Clearly, the B-744 is highly complex and my PF is regularly over 1Gb when flying her. But I never had problems before... Anyway, if you wish to check for missing files which could be called over and over again by the sim, download Filemon here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...sk/Filemon.mspxIt is very simple to use and you can easily filter out unwanted data. I pinpointed a missing .fx file like this once.<>Ah! Do you remember Sublogic's Flight simulator for C64 and later for the Amiga? That's what I started flying with! The good ol' days... :)<>But I digress... You're most welcome, Lee! We can move this conversation to e-mail, if you wish, so we don't use the bandwidth here - it clearly isn't PMDG B744's fault, I think that we have>established that much.<< I'm not appotioning blame here. Its a problem that others suffer from, not just me and as a former Forum Moderator in another life, I always found it useful to discuss this sort of thing in the open on the boards where others, particularly lurkers, might find the answer to an issue they are having. I'm sure bandwidth is not an issue with this - if it is and PMDG want me to move this to email I will happily comply with their wishes.I have much respect for PMDG and how it does its business. The quality of its products speaks for itself. I believe, however, that issues found should always be raised in the interests of good communication and customer service and support. Posters here have been very civil about it and most helpful - especially the CEO of PMDG actually taking the time to respond encouragingly - always very welcome and a good sign of a good organisation.I'm starting to find possible ways out of this now between advice obtained here and in the British Airways Virtual members forum so I'm feeling better about it.Thanks for your time sir!kind regards,Lee

Lee James

spacer.png