Sign in to follow this  
Vic1

747x and Vista

Can any of you who have already set up the 747x in Vista give any tips ,tricks and do's and dont's on the best way to get it running correctly as im about to do the same.For example ive heard that its best to set up fsx outside the normal install folder ddue to security blocks and adminrights etc etc. This thread could be of use to many of us who are planning to upgrade to vista too. Prehaps also mention what problems u have experienced toothanks in advancekav

Kav,I think that your question is too broad in its implications.I have 747X running in Vista, although there are still a number of major outstanding issues, whether caused by PMDG, HiFi or Microsoft I cannot tell.Better that you try your installation and then ask detailed questions when/if you have concerns. There are many who will gladly try to help in each situation.I am sure that, as we all struggle to get a satisfactory resolution to these problems, you will also share in the great simulator with which PMDG are struggling to provide us.Regards, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

I think there are a few pointers that you might usefully have in mind:1) Possibly the single most important point (in my view) is to ensure you install FSX somewhere other than the default Program Files folder. Otherwise, Vista will automatically impose write restrictions. These account for many difficulties and although it seems easy to change them, the changes do not always seem to "stick" for files put in the default Program Files folder. Ideally, install FSX onto a separate partition - or, better yet, a separate physical hard drive from the OS. 2) Ensure that you have "Owner" status over the FSX folder and that every relevant account has the fullest possible permissions.3) Ensure you run all install programmes as an Administrator. This should happen anyway but no harm in checking.4) Ensure you have installed ALL available hotfixes and updates for Vista. These include hotfixes which help Vista make better use of RAM in 3D applications.5) Make sure you're running the latest video drivers: currently 169.25 for nvidia and 711 for ati.6) Ensure you've installed FSX SP1 and - I suggest - SP2 (or Acceleration Pack).7) You should find you have no trouble. Your best bet will be to post here for a specific solution. But as a STARTING point (and do not meddle with this stuff just for the #### of it):(a) as a first effort: try running FSX as an Administrator.(:( for performance issues, backup your FSX.CFG file (in the %AppData%/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX folder). Then delete the original. Then run FSX and re-select your preferred settings. This allows FSX to rebuild from scratch based on a fresh system scan and it can sometimes clear up muddles inadvertently introduced, eg, by tweaking.© for problems with functionality: check your DLL.XML file (also in the %AppData%/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX folder). Try changing the order in which modules are listed: this can make a difference, although it shouldn't. This may be important if you use FSInn for Vatsim - or you might be lucky.RgdsTim MorsheadEdit: I am astonished to see that #### has been substituted for the word "H E L L". What's that all about?

My tip #1, turn off UAC unless you don't know how to keep your computer secure on your own... this solves all the problems related to run as administrator, protected folders etc.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest cliffie1931

Here's my pennyworth Kav. It results from hard won experience with FSX/Vista.1. Be selective about installing add-ons. After several reinstallations, with lessons learned each time, I have limited my add-ons to Flight Environment (http://www.flightenvironment.com/)and the PMDG 747X.Before adding more, as I'm sure I will, I'll think twice2.I now use "Diskeeper 2008". It's a superb defrag facility which continually defrags in the background. They offer a free trial and you'll find a review on http://www.download.com/Diskeeper/3000-2094_4-10763324.htmlA well defragged system is essential for good frame rates.3.Set your Target Frame to "Unlimited". You'll get to it via Options....Settings....Display....then set the slider to the extreme right.If you want the best possible results then:Uninstall FSXDefrag at least once.Install FSXInstall a minimum of add ons.Set your Target Frame rate to "Unlimited"..............and be prepared for a pleasant surprise.Cliff

Thanks all some usefull advice there will see how it goesKav