Sign in to follow this  
Guest Peter Lloyd

FMC Question

Guest Peter Lloyd

Happy New Year y'all!A quick question for those of you more astute at this stuff that I.I am trying to put in reporting points along a long overwater leg.There doesn't seem to be a way in the FMC to do this, though I am told that the 747's FMC will allow one to put in reporting points every N degrees of long or lat. between two waypoints... am I missing something in the manual?I know the other question has been covered before but I cannot find it in the Forum Search.. how to I correctly enter complex Lat/Long waypoints. Manage fine with the whole degrees like N35E27, but the FMC refuses the N3501.57E2725.1Thanks for the help, and all the best for 08.Peter Lloyd

Hi Peter!What you enter into the FMC have to be waypoints that are present in the AIRAC databases. These are only the 5 digit waypoint names that you already know about (e.g. N5630 is a waypoint in the North Atlantic at 56 deg north, 30 deg west). There is no way, other than creating your own waypoint database entries, that can specify anything except whole degrees of lat/lon. Waypoints in PMDG are stored in the file wpNavFIX.txt (therefore, editable) and support the specification of six decimal places of degrees lat and lon (enough?).Cheers, Richard

The shortcut, such as N35E27 only work with whole degrees. You have to enter your waypoint in long format per the manual. The proper format for entering a Latitude/Longitude waypoint into the scratchpad is as follows:NXXXXX/EXXXXXXSXXXXX/WXXXXXX

Guest Peter Lloyd

Richard and DanThanks for your input. On the real world model apparently you can input route reporting points using a start, end and offset (Start 36N Stop 40N, 1 degree offset). I was wanting to check if this feature was available... easier than typing it all in (and I am naturally both keyboard clumsy and lazy).Dan, 35deg 1 minute and 6 seconds S is entered as N/Swhatever 3516S or N.../0350106S?Thanks again for your assistance.Peter Lloyd

"N3501.57E2725.1"Have you tried entering "N3501.5E02725.1"?From memory, the FMC needs 6 digits for longitude.Cheers.Q> イアンP.S. (Edit) Sorry, I missed Dan's message (he already suggested this)

Guest Peter Lloyd

QThanks - finally figured out there are 3 digits (180deg) of Long and only 2 (90deg) of Lat!Would have taken my 15 yr old probably 10 seconds to figure the logic out... age is unkind.Blow the froth off a couple for me Q.Thanks to you all again.Peter