Sign in to follow this  
RPRIEVER

How to program step climbs in 747-400X??

Greetings all,I finally had time today to fly my first longhaul flight, EDDF-KJFK. As expected it took me a while to get thru the checklist, but after a few issues (starting the engines, for one), I was able to get the big bird going. However, I can't figure out how to program step-climbs in the FMC. My planned cruising alt was FL360, but per FSBuild I was to level off at FL320, then climb to 340, then finally 360. I tried entering "FL360" in the cruise alt line and manually changing the waypoints (on the legs page) to show them as "FL320" or "FL340"as required. This didnt work, because then the speed for each new waypoint showed 250kts. I tried entering it as "/FL320", but that didnt work either. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?Many thanks,Ron

Enter yout initial crz alt in the FMC as normal then change ICAO TO 2000ft and the aircraft will let you know the optimum time to step climb. At that point select the new altitude and PUSH the alt knob. The FMC will update with the knew info so you dont need to edit each waypoint by hand.Rob

Rob Prest

Guest Takechan

I can only recommend the Long Haul Tutorial (EGLL - KLAX) it covers most (all) of the things you need to go through on a flight. http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/Long_...EGLL_to_KLAX%29Craig did a #### of a job - it's made at the time for FS9 but it works fine for FS10 as well. He said he might update it at some point, but it's really great as it is. Hope you find it as useful as I did. - Takenobu